Author Topic: SV 650 - how would you rate one?  (Read 7599 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
SV 650 - how would you rate one?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 10:37:16 PM »
Quote from: Jason F.
As another note the SV is like the Honda Civic of the bike world.

I drive a CRV, must be the attraction!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 11:49:33 PM »
I LOVE mine.  I'm 5'8" and it fits me well.  Sometimes I wish the pegs were a tad lower, but that might be my imagination.

see photo link:  http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/suzuki-sv650-00-bikepics-533786.jpg

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 01:21:10 AM »
I like the SV650, but my legs are too long and don't fit in the fuel tank grooves.  Besides, I am 6'1" and need a liter bike. :motorsmile:
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Brit-400

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 07:26:44 AM »
Quote from: terrebandit
I LOVE mine.  I'm 5'8" and it fits me well.  Sometimes I wish the pegs were a tad lower, but that might be my imagination.

see photo link:  http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/suzuki-sv650-00-bikepics-533786.jpg

Dave

Who's the ugly one behind the bike? :lol:  :wink:

Nice choice of colour.
Thanks, Toby.

This post may be beer fuelled...

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »
That is one nice looking bike, terrebandit!

Still dreaming of that deadly twin but the durn thing just felt a bit too small and went with the Bandit.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 08:32:18 AM »
Quote from: Brit-400
Quote from: terrebandit

Dave

Who's the ugly one behind the bike? :lol:  :wink:

Nice choice of colour.

Isn't that Dr Phil

LOL
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 03:15:19 PM »
>>what the heck was up with that name, anyway? Why not V-Storm<<

Strom is German for wind.

So what's that Hyosung stuff about? A rose by any other name?

>>Way too forward leaning for me.<<

Unlike the S models, it looks simple enough to put risers on the standard '650, making for a pretty upright ride.

I'm tossed between getting an SV 650 or a V-Strom 650. I like the headlight on the SV, while the V is better rigged for long distance, which is what I want from my next bike. I wish I could get a V with an SV headlight. I like headlights that turn with my front wheel.

To this day I still wonder who's the rocket scientist that thought headlights shouldn't follow where you're turning. At least the V has two lights up front lighting fairly wide, unlike something like BMWs with those miserable front light assemblies.

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 11:31:45 PM »
Quote from: jbrough7
That is one nice looking bike, terrebandit!

Still dreaming of that deadly twin but the durn thing just felt a bit too small and went with the Bandit.

Thanks Jim.  Took her for about a 150 mile spin today.  The Sargent seat helps for LD rides.
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 04:49:18 PM »
I'm 5'11" and 195lbs(whatever that is in metric?) and "I Feel good" when I get on a SV650 or 1000 s. If I have too much weight on my hands,its time for more crunches. But for me, its like putting on a custom fit glove(not that I have custom gloves) But it just feels right! I'm looking to buy a SV650 race bike from someone I know. I'm just trying not to get divorced at the same time. Light and nimble with lots od torque. (and the one I'm looking at getting has a gsx-r front end!)

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 10:31:22 PM »
Hold out for a 1200 Bandit, Kevin. You won't be sorry. I'm 6'-3" and 220 lbs., so I put a 26" windshield on the bike after removing the "S" fairing (pretty, but useless).  I pushed that windshield up to 135 mph indicated and El Bandido was still pulling like mad when I chopped the throttle. All the little blue and red lights had disappeared anyway.  About 111.4 BHP at the rear wheel tends to do that for you. Besides, there's little difference between the ergos of a 600 and 1200 Bandit anyway, so it won't feel strange until you twist that right handgrip.  Oh yeah - the rear tire is a bit fatter on the 1200.

Herb

Quote from: kevinfromrex
I tried the sv at the large used bike dealer here in Marietta Georgia and was not comfortable. I am 6 foot 1, 240.
I also looked at specs and it seemed the bandits got alittle power advantage. So I hunted down a bandit.

I want to move up to litre class next year, dont know what to ride, no more bandit, dont really like sv1000s, yamaha fz is fast but strange looking, zrx is no more................ hummmm.

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 10:42:30 PM »
Vidrazor:  I agree with you on a couple of counts...I can't figure out the headlight thing on my 650 either...the lighting is poor to begin with and then the durn tracks straight when you turn!  Was that citroen that had the lights turn on their cars?  That was cool.

And I really like the IDEA of the v-strom but I think it looks ungainly for some reason - still haven't figured that out but I think they will have to change something before I nab one.

I'm kinda interested in Hyosungs cuz they just got to Canada and there is the Suzuki connection there.  Thought their bikes would be similar but priced way lower as they are in the States.  But they're MORE than Suzi's (after the Suzi discounts) so no way I would take a chance on them.

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
Re: SV 650 - how would you rate one?
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 10:43:06 PM »
As the owner of a BRG Bandit 1200S and a visitor to your fair town, I feel somewhat qualified to offer some dumb advice.  I happen to have ridden the SV650 and thought it to be a very nice ride. As someone used to a 400, this would be even more true for you.  The SV has often been compared to a Ducati, not only for its engine layout and frame, but also for its handling and power. You would be getting about 70 hp, which is a deal greater than what a 400 can deliver, so be careful getting it on at first. I assume that you have fully satisfied the local laws about progressing to a larger bike?

Have fun!

Herb

Quote from: Brit-400
Hi. I currently ride a B4 and love it. But, i do fancy a change. SV650 K1s are coming up at attractive prices now, just wondering - how would you rate them? Pros/cons? All i've read about them is positive so far but thought i'd get some advise from some like-minded riders. :)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 11:09:16 PM »
Quote from: jbrough7
And I really like the IDEA of the v-strom but I think it looks ungainly for some reason - still haven't figured that out but I think they will have to change something before I nab one.

I was saying I had to have a car to go to Costco, but I saw a Vstrom in the lot today, with one of those nig ugly egg-like hard tail cases stuck on the back, so I guess I really can get my 55-gallon drum of egg salad and 100-roll pack of toilet paper home on the Bandit if I try.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline banditII

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 08:06:51 PM »
I owned a 2003 SV650 naked version.  I loved it.  Should not have traded it off.  Not quite as much leg room to the pegs as my B12 but not too bad either.  I'm 5'10".  I put a National Cycle Street Shield on my SV for good wind protection.  I couldn't stop doing wheelies on mine.  Starting off from every stoplight it just begs to do a wheelie so it can be a corrupting type bike, but it'll only do what you tell it to do.  I suspect you will like the SV's power delivery.  Good power everywhere.  Mine would run an indicated 127 mph on top, not super fast on top but the trade off is great point and squirt power everywhere below that 127.  I also liked the lightness of the SV.  Makes you want to jump something.  Every built up section of road suddenly becomes an Evel Knievel ramp.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

Warren
Riding motorcycles..........and loving it! :-)

Warren

Offline billybandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006, 06:51:52 AM »
Quote from: Sven
what the heck was up with that name, anyway?  Why not V-Storm?

Sounds too much like the Honda Firestorm, which is also a V twin.
SV650 is a nice looking bike, parts easily available, reliable, easy to ride BUT its not much of a step up from your B4. If you don't want anything faster then the SV is probably a good choice.

Try an SV1000 as well, there's some amazing deals on those to be had

Whatever you do... DON'T get a Hyosung!!! They may be cheaper but thats because it's poorer quality, re-sell value is MUCH lower (SV's hold their price quite well cause there is a demand for them), parts/aftermarket parts availability is much worse, and worst of all it says Hyosung on the tank.