Author Topic: Welcome... INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE!!!  (Read 271742 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Welcome... INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE!!!
« Reply #285 on: January 19, 2006, 07:37:15 PM »
:welcome: all noobs!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline ATC'er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #286 on: January 20, 2006, 10:54:28 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm Chuck from Windsor, CT.  I bought a 2005 Bandit 1200S 10 months ago and have been visiting this site for a few months to get opinions/ideas.  Now the bike is at the dealer getting some goodies installed! (Yosh carbon slip on, Dynojet stage 1, Race Tech springs and gold valves).  Purchased Pro Tek clip-ons too, but the mechanic told me today he won't install them (liability issue I'm guessing).  He gave me the blah-blah-blah about changing the rake/trail and about clearance issues when the suspension bottoms out, etc.  I don't want to purchase a front stand, so not sure what I'm going to do next.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Looking to install steel brake lines before the summer.  Also have a xenon kit (dealer won't install that either; worried about shorting the electrical system).  Anyway, enough of the complaining...   I love the bike and look forward to chatting with everyone.
Chuck
2005 Bandit 1200S

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #287 on: January 20, 2006, 11:37:33 PM »
:welcome:

Are you having your work done (what they're willing to do anyway) at a dealership? If so, you might try an independant bike repair shop - they're more likely to be willing to do the ALL the work (or the work a dealer won't, if you prefer it that way).

So, you've been lurking for a few months gathering information and you STILL bought a Dynojet kit?
Good luck with that.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ATC'er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #288 on: January 21, 2006, 12:48:44 AM »
Yes, the dealer is doing the install work.  I was thinking maybe there's an independent shop somewhere here that might do the clip ons.  I'll have to check the yellow pages to see if there are any.  I just found a post a little while ago where someone simply installed a different handlebar that gave a lower riding position.  That's beginning to look like a headache-free alternative.  

I hear what you're saying about the Dynojet kit.  I've seen lots of complaints (also a few compliments).  I really hesitated on buying it, but figured that since I'm paying someone else to install it, I can bring the bike back and demand they get it right.  I'll let you know if I regret doing it...
Chuck
2005 Bandit 1200S

Offline jfpjet

• New user!
« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2006, 03:26:13 PM »
Hi - this is jfpjet from Chapel Hill, NC.  After 22 years on an 83 Nighthawk 650 (great bike, btw, continuing on strong with its second owner) I picked up a 2005 B12s last summer.  

I ride it whenever I get a chance, which unfortunately, is mostly errrands and commuting to work.  It does make a wonderful bike even for just those occasions.  Zipping through the gears out of a light, it's always a hoot to see the rest of the traffic in the mirrors still trying to get going.

The bike was immaculate up until a week ago, when it got tipped while standing in a parking lot (OK, I tipped it).  So today I'm installing a new clutch lever and some engine guards (there's just a scratch on the starter cover, but no doubt this will happen again, perhaps while moving, and that could really wreck things).  

Here are a couple of plugs for places I have experience with:

- Combustion Cycles (
www.combustioncycles.com) in Durham NC is a licensed independent repair shop that does great work, including warranty term service, at an excellent price.

- MR Motorcycles (www.mrcycles.com) near Asheville, NC for mail order parts.  Prices were good and the parts above arrived in three days.[/list]
Any bandit riders in the area?  I'll catch you around. :grin:

Offline kbraz

• New user!
« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2006, 02:46:20 AM »
Hey all, I'm Kirsty from Queensland Australia.  I bought a '90 Bandit 250 (my first bike)  a month or so ago.  The only things that I have done to the bike is   1. put crash knobs on, as I have only just started to learn how to ride and   2. I had to lower it (am a very short little chick, 4'11) til i got a bit more comfortable on it.  It's now back at standard height again, but am thinking of shaving the seat down as I can only put one foot down.

Was doing a little research on the Bandit when I came across this forum, and, well..

Cheers
Kirsty
'90 Bandit 250 Black

www.ozsportsbikes.com

Offline steves

• New user!
« Reply #291 on: January 26, 2006, 06:31:31 PM »
Greetings Bandit riders!  My name is Steve, and I ride an '01 600 in 'zuki blue!  I'm currently working on rebuilding a '97 katana for my girlfriend as well.  I ran across your site when someone from katriders.com posted a link, so I thought I'd stop by.
-Steve

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #292 on: January 26, 2006, 09:28:40 PM »
:welcome: Kirsty & Steve.  :motorsmile:

Kirsty, don't forget to follow along in the 400 section as a lot of what applies to them applies to the 250.

Steve, the Kat 600 and the Bandit 600 share pretty much the same motor, so your Kat & Bandit board contacts should be able to help on both bikes.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline steves

• New user!
« Reply #293 on: January 26, 2006, 09:36:21 PM »
Yup, you're right.  I'm only missing the exhaust to complete my mechanical repairs but the kat stock 4 into 2 doesn't fit over the bump in the bandit oil pan which I assume is to accomodate the 4 into 1 header.
-Steve

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #294 on: January 26, 2006, 09:39:38 PM »
Why would you want that heavy old system on the Bandit?

Not sure how well the mufflers would bolt up in the back, but you could solve the oil pan issue with a Kat pan & oil pickup.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #295 on: January 26, 2006, 11:10:01 PM »
G'day Kirsty and Steve  :welcome:  :beers:

Kirsty, don't forget the Aussie/NZ area as well.....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline choppa

• Board Regular!
« Reply #296 on: January 31, 2006, 08:07:43 PM »
whats up? jay here, i'm from winston-salem, north carolina. came across your site today and always have questions, so hopefully you guys will have the answers. i am a harley-davidson mech by trade and i have a softail i built that i ride, another on the build table (Rigid 250mm tire) and my new toy a custom streetfighter i'm building that is based around a 1200 bandit engine and electrics its in an old 86' gsxr frame and has hyabusa front end, wheels, and brakes. i built my exaust to exit under the tailsection, (looks pretty cool).  i had a 97 1200 with flatslide mikunis and a corbin seat a couple of years ago and missed the power so here i go again.

Offline sitler

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2006, 09:42:15 PM »
This is part of a reply I made to BitterB4 (or was it PitterB4) so don't get on my case if you see it in that one other location.

"I bought a new, silver, 2003 1200 with 16 miles on it from a dealer last August for $5200 and since then I've added the following: Lower fairing (EU), Bar risers, Bar vib dampener, Zero Gravity smoked touring screen, Chopped the rear fender, Corona race team decal kit, Butterfly nymph graphic on tank, Magnetic vinyl scoops over SUZUKI logos on tank, Decaled a $30 full-face helmet, Installed a stero (Walkman to small 4 channel amp under seat to a pair of boxed 2-way 3 1/2" Alpines and 2 additional Alpine tweeters, Trunk, Hitch and Trailer.

I don't plan to do any power mods now as I am 40 and don't go looking for R1s and Busa's to race. I wrecked my V65 Magna at 150 in 1985 but now that I'm older, I don't think I bounce as well. I'm not dead though and after almost every light I hit 50 in 2 sec's with the front wheel bouncing off the pavement."

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! I also fabbed a driver backrest that slides into the trunk mounting bracket I made. I have long arms so with the bar risers I've sitting at 90 degrees so the backrest gives me a bit of lower back support and I really feel it when I get on it.

I'm in Clearwater Florida and now that I have the 1200 I'm retiring my 280ZX. SUVs are for when it is raining.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #298 on: January 31, 2006, 10:39:13 PM »
Quote from: "sitler"
This is part of a reply I made to BitterB4 (or was it PitterB4) so don't get on my case if you see it in that one other location.

That's OK.  I'll beg your forgiveness for repeating myself, too...  :welcome: Sitler
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #299 on: February 05, 2006, 09:57:24 PM »
Nice website Pete.  
I have a 97 GSF1200S and I just started modifying it.  I'm glad I found this site it looks like there is a lot of valuable information here.  Anyway I'm looking forward to getting a little more out of my Bandit and maybe meeting up with a few of you for a ride?
Andy
FZ1000S,  GSF1200SV,  CB750F
Support the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer