Author Topic: Lake Erie Loop  (Read 9848 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Lake Erie Loop
« on: June 16, 2005, 05:18:03 AM »
Motorbikers push engine limits in benefit round-the-lake race
Wednesday, June 15, 2005
Brian Albrecht
Plain Dealer Reporter
Wellington

-- Stefan Was may have finished last in the 650-mile Lake Erie Loop, a one-day race around the lake Saturday for bantam motorbikes with engines from 50 to 200cc.

But with a finishing time of 26½ hours, he will probably be the most remembered of the 10 entries in the competition.

In his first -- and avowed last -- long-distance race on a 50cc Yamaha (top speed 45mph), Was traveled nonstop on secondary roads in Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania and Canada.

"That stretch in Canada was a bear, but it was a hoot," said Was, 23, of Cleveland. "It was for a good cause, and I really enjoyed it."

The race was organized by Brook Park firefighter Bill Murar two years ago to benefit the Aluminum Cans for Burned Children Foundation.

Murar said that by early Sunday morning, all the racers figured Was had spent the night somewhere in Canada. "So I was surprised when he came rolling in," Murar said. "Both he and his bike looked a bit battle-weary."

Murar, riding a 125cc Honda, tied for second with former North Olmsted Fire Chief Roger Osterhouse on a 125cc Suzuki. The two called it a draw when their neck-and-neck dash for the finish line was blocked by a pizza delivery truck.

Charlie Cooley of Cincinnati, who finished last in the 2004 race, took top honors this year on a Honda 125 with a winning time of 11 hours, 35 minutes.

Unlike last year's breakdown-plagued event, this time all the racers finished the run, Murar said, though one had to be towed the last four miles.

Murar said the top three finishers in each of the three divisions (based on engine displacement) won trophies and cash -- which nearly everyone donated to the charity, which will get more than $1,500 from the race.

Next year's event will be held June 9-11, and Was said he'll definitely be back.

But not on a 50cc motorcycle.

OK.  Which of you Ohio guys is gonna ride this next year? :motorsmile:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline FlyingTurtle1

• Board Homesteader!
Lake Erie Loop
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 12:37:06 AM »
:motorsmile:  I'd be willing to give it a try Pete...now I just gotta talk the better half into letting me find/buy a 250...you guessed it...Aprilia!!! :wink:
Terry Humphreys...No longer a Bandit owner
'06 FJR..stock for the moment....

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Lake Erie Loop
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 12:43:59 AM »
How about a 50cc?

Heck, we could sponsor you on the board! :motorsmile:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline FlyingTurtle1

• Board Homesteader!
Lake Erie Loop
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 12:15:12 AM »
:banana:  May have found a winner Pete, we're talking, he has 2 CB 160's! :motorsmile:  One is running and one basket case ready to be rebuilt and he's got all the stuff!! He'll be at my house thursday and I'm gonna show him this and see what we can work out. Might just be able to come up with a entry! Gotta admit I did see an Aprilia 50 tonight that would be fun too, but with my bulk think the 160 might be the better choice.
Terry Humphreys...No longer a Bandit owner
'06 FJR..stock for the moment....

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Lake Erie Loop
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 08:22:41 AM »
A Cb 160!  I lusted over those as a kid!
 :motorsmile:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650