Author Topic: PNW Bandit ride II  (Read 11739 times)

Offline Bobcat

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 144
PNW Bandit ride II
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:19:50 AM »
To accomodate schedules, let's try for June 23-25. Through WA into central/eastern BC.

Post up if you can make it.

Accomodations will be hotel for me--others can camp if they want.

Offline H2RICK

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 507
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 09:58:03 PM »
OK, Bobcat, my boss says for Saturday (June 23rd) I'm good to go. Clearance needed from SWMBO but I think I can finesse that....fingers crossed. 06 Greyhound from CowTown looks good too, he says. Itinerary ?? Meeting spots ?? I'll probably be camping unless it's absolutely pi$$sing down. Let's ride the wheels off on those east Kootenay roads. Can we firm this up somewhat, please. Thanks.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline 06 Greyhound

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 197
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 09:44:53 PM »
I can do a few days,  Saturday to Monday or so.
I will come ready to camp but will opt for a hotel or Motel at the about the time the rain or if like today HAIL starts to fall.  If we go on the 23rd the bruising from todays hail should be gone. My gear might even be dry.
Are we meeting in the South along Hwy 3 someplace.
There is a Motorcycle Camp Ground west of Cranbrook.
It a good start for DH1, although My son and I usually come from the north, get off the ferry and wait 10 minutes, and we have the road to ourselves.

Offline Red01

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 8977
  • Are we having fun yet?
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:35:51 AM »
I'm in! :thumb:
Like Bobcat, I prefer the motel, less stuff to pack.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)


Offline 06 Greyhound

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 197
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 11:35:38 AM »
I'm good with the motel thing as well, my legs are really bruised from yesterday(pea to grape sized hail) and my gear is still wet.  So I would think that a motel makes sense, weather depending of course.
(note to self - wear riding pants not just light rain pants :duh: )

I think the town of Yak is in the right sort of location and on some very good roads.  If that works as a meeting location.

I'm also wide open to suggestions, I picked Yak of the top of my head.

Offline 06 Greyhound

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 197
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:42:05 PM »
I had a second thought and that is that I can make Cranbrook on Friday evening, but that is about as far as I would like to push it after working all day.  I think that is in the 4 to 4 1/2  hour range from Cochrane.  

I also think that's the solstice or within a day.  Should we plan on buring a wicker Harley or something like that?
I'm not a Druid so I'm not sure what the right sort of thing to do is, but then is burning a Harley ever wrong?  I mean a wicker Harley of course.

Offline stormi

  • Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • *****
  • Posts: 2795
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 05:44:32 PM »
There's a chance I might be able to manage a ride like this...How far East will ya all be comin?  i might even be able to ride up to Calgary and meet up with H2Rick... though I may slow ya all down a little as the newest rider here..

I sort of like the idea of picking up a few tips.  The biggest drawback for me is the long ride from Edmonton to Calgary alone...
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline 06 Greyhound

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 197
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 07:08:09 PM »
Quote from: "stormi"
There's a chance I might be able to manage a ride like this...How far East will ya all be comin?  i might even be able to ride up to Calgary and meet up with H2Rick... though I may slow ya all down a little as the newest rider here..

I sort of like the idea of picking up a few tips.  The biggest drawback for me is the long ride from Edmonton to Calgary alone...


If you want to group ride I can hang back and join in on Saturday.  Two choices really and the same distance +- 15 km. Banff to Radium and Cranbrook, or straight south on Hwy 22 to Hwy 3 and on to Cranbrook.  
There is a one other way but it is a ride on its' own, and that is Hwy 1 to Revelstoke and then South to Nacusp and Kaslo.  This is the by far the nicest ride and covers DH 5 and DH 1 on the way to Creston, with two ferry rides included.
This would pretty much use up the weekend though, and we would have a hard time connecting with the US riders.

Maybe Cranbrook to Creston and north on DH1 to the Ferry and then south to Nelson (I think its Nelson)  and back.  That stays in the south and no one wants to miss DH1.

I'm open to other routes so map time.
The challenge is getting to the start for all of us.

Offline Bobcat

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 144
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 11:51:55 AM »
My travel limit headed east on the first day is probably Cranbrook. That's about 500 miles for me (add about another 100 for Red). Anything west of there is also fine by me, so we just need to pick a meeting spot for Saturday.

I'll probably leave Friday morning to get there in time to ride Saturday morning.

Offline 06 Greyhound

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 197
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 01:40:23 PM »
How about Trail or Salmo? Roughly noon on Saturday.
I understand that its about 3 to 3 1/2 hours west of Cranbrook and puts us in a good spot to run north to New Denver, then over DH5 to Kaslo and south to Crawford Bay and the start of DH 1 down to Creston.

This would have us in finishing in the south on Sunday which makes a better trip home, for me at least.  :grin:

Offline pmackie

  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 1149
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 01:40:36 PM »
Just some possible routing options. For Red01 and Bobcat heading east, we could look at meeting in Bonners Ferry or Sandpoint ID, to shorten up your day.

For you Alta folks there is a great ride south of Elko around the Libby dam on route to Sandpoint. This would add a couple of hours to the ride, so may not be do-able for Friday after work.

From Sandpoint we could head up Hwy 20 from Tiger and up through Trail or Rossland, then up through Castelgar & Slocan to New Denver, Kaslo & then DH 1 to Creston heading south (the better direction for this road in my opinion). I'll try to work up some distances and figure out fuel/overnight stops for suggestions. Is everyone OK with 375 mile/600 km days? Some of the roads are tight, so average speeds are down.

I'm not positve that I can make this trip yet (after my 8 day trip to CA) but I will sure try. At worst, I will make a day or two.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline stormi

  • Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • *****
  • Posts: 2795
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 01:43:46 PM »
Quote from: "06 Greyhound"
If you want to group ride I can hang back and join in on Saturday.  Two choices really and the same distance +- 15 km. Banff to Radium and Cranbrook, or straight south on Hwy 22 to Hwy 3 and on to Cranbrook.  
There is a one other way but it is a ride on its' own, and that is Hwy 1 to Revelstoke and then South to Nacusp and Kaslo.  This is the by far the nicest ride and covers DH 5 and DH 1 on the way to Creston, with two ferry rides included.
This would pretty much use up the weekend though, and we would have a hard time connecting with the US riders.

Maybe Cranbrook to Creston and north on DH1 to the Ferry and then south to Nelson (I think its Nelson)  and back.  That stays in the south and no one wants to miss DH1.

I'm open to other routes so map time.
The challenge is getting to the start for all of us.


I don't want you to change your plans for me.  I can't commit to it til the last minute, thanks to a couple of things that I don't get to schedule, but need to be present for.  

If I do it, more than likely, for the purposes of meeting up, I would say that I would take the most direct route there, but on the way back I would love to hit Radium, to soak some muscles.    :wink:

In the end, I would like to go on at least one ride this summer, I don't care where, but I have a scheduling issue that I need to work around.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Bobcat

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 144
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 01:44:38 PM »
I think I'd rather cross at Osoyoos and ride 3 East, but I'll let Red chime in with his opinion. I'd love to do that hill out of Osoyoos again. If we do this, meeting at Salmo sounds perfect. I'm easy, though.  :grin:

Sounds like my buddy might make it on his Triumph, so we'll have another Yank in the group.

Offline 06 Greyhound

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 197
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 09:33:15 PM »
Quote from: "pmackie"
Just some possible routing options. For Red01 and Bobcat heading east, we could look at meeting in Bonners Ferry or Sandpoint ID, to shorten up your day.

For you Alta folks there is a great ride south of Elko around the Libby dam on route to Sandpoint. This would add a couple of hours to the ride, so may not be do-able for Friday after work.

From Sandpoint we could head up Hwy 20 from Tiger and up through Trail or Rossland, then up through Castelgar & Slocan to New Denver, Kaslo & then DH 1 to Creston heading south (the better direction for this road in my opinion). I'll try to work up some distances and figure out fuel/overnight stops for suggestions. Is everyone OK with 375 mile/600 km days? Some of the roads are tight, so average speeds are down.

I'm not positve that I can make this trip yet (after my 8 day trip to CA) but I will sure try. At worst, I will make a day or two.


I agree with the north to south on DH 1.  Wait ten minutes after the ferry docks and the road is empty.  
I can manage the distance but would like to end up on Hwy 3 at the end of Sunday as I am limited to a couple of days myself.  I have to be home Monday night, and will need all day Monday to get home.
I should be able to meet on Saturday before noon in Salmo.  I will have to see if my son can make it he rides a SV.  

I'm getting anxious to get started.

Offline H2RICK

  • Board Homesteader!
  • ***
  • Posts: 507
PNW Bandit ride II
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 11:31:10 AM »
Stormi:
It looks like my buddy Bandit Bruce ('05 B12) is going to try to make it down from Leduc on Friday night to go along on the ride....so you might be able to hook up with him for the ride down to Cowtown. I've offered for him to stay at my place over Friday night but I'll have to check with SWMBO to see if she'd let a "strange" woman stay in the house too.....unless you have a place you can bunk at in Cowtown on Friday night.
Let me know and I'll see if I can finesse your staying at my place Friday night if necessary.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings