Author Topic: Bars: Clipons v. Suburban Machinery  (Read 10533 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Bars: Clipons v. Suburban Machinery
« on: March 11, 2005, 09:12:45 PM »
Clipons vs. Suburban Machinery Bars
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vcook
(4/19/01 11:12 am)
clip on style handle bar

Hello fello bbs users. I am new to the board, and also a relatively new b4 owner (had it about 6 months or so). I don't feel like going through the hassle involved with clip ons (new light and turn indicator brackets, ugly triple clamp posts), and was wondering if anyone had tried a bar like the one shown here for a sv650 http://www.suburban-machinery.com/sv650.htm This looks like it would fit the b4 without a problem, looks pretty good, and the reach is looks very clip on like. Just curious if anyone had tried this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DjSuperfly
(4/19/01 4:27 pm)
bars...

those are called clubman bars...
airtech accessories also sell a set, the airtech ones are cleaner, less welding spots showing. Clubman bars are great products and I had thought about using them too...but they offer less room to angle them exactly the way you want, thats why in the end I went with the more hassle clip-ons = more flexibility.

www.airtech-streamlining.com/

Bao
vcook
(4/19/01 5:13 pm)
Re: clip on style handle bar

The clubman bars look like they drop just a bit lower and the angle looks a little more extreme. Plus they are chromed, and I don't know how well that will hold. The bars I found for the sv650 are stainless steel. I think I would put up with some visible welds knowing it would never rust or chip on me. That is just my opinion. Thanks for the feedback though. With the addition of your clipons do you still have the handlebar towers coming off your triple clamp?
JAWESQ
(4/19/01 5:46 pm)

Regular clubman bars, such as the ones sold by Airtech, DO NOT FIT the b4. The triple clamp on the b4 with 41 mm forks is too long to use the clubman bars. I bought them and returned them. I would try the SV650 bars because the triple clamp on that bike is roughly the same size as the b4.
records2
(4/20/01 9:50 am)
Welcome

You could have a look through some of the previous posts on clip ons. The bandit owners hear are SUPER KNOWLEDGABLE. We did the clip on thing to death kinda on this board. WELCOME ABOARD. Russ
vcook
(4/20/01 10:08 am)

Oddly enough, I actually read through all the old posts before starting a topic that was already done. My point is, I don't want to try and fit clip ons. You are left with handlebar towers coming off your triple clamp. even if you find a replacement or cut them off you pretty much have made the decision to never go back to upright bars. The hassle involved with clipons seems to be more work than is neccessary when all I want is the seating position.
JAWESQ
(4/20/01 12:25 pm)

My advice is try the sv650 bars you found. I think they look cool. Had I known about them before I purchased clipons I would have tried them too.
Minbo
(4/20/01 12:30 pm)
clubman bars

I got a set of clubman bars a while back. After I got them on, I went for a spin around the block then went home and put the regular bars back on. The position of the controls was just far too extreme for me. I had to be 99% laid down and even then the brake and the clutch were too hard to get at quickly. Only $20 though, so I saw try it.
Minbo
(4/20/01 12:34 pm)
sv650 bars

Oh. I just looked at the sv650 pic. Those look like a good alternative.
vcook
(4/20/01 2:13 pm)

Thanks for the input guys. The clubman bars are definitely cafe racer style and too extreme. I am going to give those sv650 bars a try, just as soon as my scoot is back from the shop. Damn fork seals needed replacing. While it is in I am getting progressive springs put in as well, so it isn't a total waste of time.
Spoons
(4/20/01 2:52 pm)

Guys, i own a 1989 400k (frame no - GK75A) Jap import which has production drop bars as standard. These clamp onto the upper portion of the forks and bolt onto the top yolk, these are standard equipment for the earlier Jap imports. Perhaps you guys could source some of these parts in the States as, to the best of my knowledge, this system should fit K through P production runs. If you can't, let me know and i can get you the addresses of some fantastic firms in the UK who will be able to supply these items. I hope this helps out with your problems.
vcook
(4/20/01 2:58 pm)

Not a bad idea but my worry would be that if they still needed to clamp to the fork tubes it would interfere with the headlight mounting bracket and I am right back where I started in my dilema with true clip ons.
Spoons
(4/20/01 5:20 pm)

The style of bar i have clamps to the fork above the top yolk, i.e. the fork extends about 3 cm through the yolk, the bar then clamps to the protruding section. It is then prohibited from rotating by an integeral bolt that fixes it to the yolk itself. The bars in no way come into conflict with the headlight clamps in any way, shape or form. If you need any information, measurements etc hit me back and if you can give me a little time i can sort this out for you. Also, if you post your address stateside via my e-mail address (spoonsuk@hotmail.com) i could send you some pictures, i can't post on this site as i don't have access to a scanner as yet. Check out www.batmotorcycles.co.uk, this is where i got my bike from and can supply ANY spare part that you should require. I hope this is some help to you.
Lizardking
(4/20/01 5:55 pm)

Want to clairify a few things I have read here.

First, you only have to remove the ugly tin headlight/turnsignal mount if you are using big chunky aluminum clamps for the clipons (like Vortex). Using a small, thin steel clamped clipon will most likely sit under the tin piece.

Second, If you do decide to get new headlight, turnsignal mounts, and switch to a clipon, you can always switch back to a standard bar, and youve eliminated the ugly piece of tin.

Third, the method Spoons is decribing can be used with any 41mm clip-ons and the ugly piece of tin. You unbolt both triple clamps and slide the fork legs up through the clamps. then the clip-ons are mounted on TOP of the triple tree.

As for flat top triple tree clamps, There is a HUGE bike boneyard about an hour from me. I plan to remove my triple clamp and take it down there to size up flat ones. Ive heard rf600 WILL work, and 1994 Katana 600....but i want to see. Of course I will relay ANY and ALL info.
pullejo
(12/18/02 10:50 am)
Triple clamp replacement

I'm looking for something to replace my triple tree as well - I've got clip ons and would like something that doesn't have the bar mounts sticking up on it.

If anyone has found out about something that works, let me know.

Thanks!
John
pullejo @ yahoo dot com
Red01SuziB12S
(12/18/02 12:19 pm)
Re: Triple clamp replacement (B6)

Perhaps one from a Katana 600, or SV650S ??? I know the SV uses the same diameter forks as the B6, not sure about the Kat, but think it is 41mm as well. Probably the 750 Kat, too.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7