Author Topic: Changing Fork Seals/Mantenance  (Read 9454 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Changing Fork Seals/Mantenance
« on: March 11, 2005, 09:11:15 PM »
briholt
(2/18/03 6:43 pm)
how hard to replace fork seals
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 is it difficult changing the fork seals on a 92' 400? I'd like to do it myself, but i'm not sure if i need any special equipment.

any advice appreciated.

edit:
or is this one of those questions: "if you have to ask...."

Bri

Edited by: briholt at: 2/19/03 1:12:27 am

Red01SuziB12S
Hall Monitor
(2/19/03 12:02 pm)

Don't give up just yet...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I was hoping someone would pipe up and help you out with their experience. I haven't changed fork seals in decades, but it wasn't too hard. A service manual would be a nice aid because you at least need to know how much oil to put back in when you're done... hopefully, if you give it a few more days, an experienced B4 owner will see this and offer more help.
Paul W
WWBOC #684
Camano Is. WA, USA

2slow2loud
(2/21/03 9:28 pm)
fork seals
 I changed mine last year and it wasn't that hard. I did have a steering stem front end stand already. My only problem was trying to yank out the fork tube without removing the retaining clip/ring that locks in the seal. Oops. Once you get that ring out the seal comes out easily. I think I got my measurements for oil height from the Race Tech valve emulator instructions. Thats another thing, you may want to upgrade your springs/oil while you've got the forks open. If not, I think I paid just $10.00 for the seals. Fresh oil and seals alone should feel noticably better.

kurt75
(2/23/03 9:04 pm)
Re: how hard to replace fork seals
 I did the seals last summer. As someone else said, you will need a special driver and a long extension to unscrew the retainer inside the fork tube. The seals are rather difficult to install and it is very easy to damage the fork tubes, as I found out. So be carefull. I think that there are special tools that make this easier.

Dave1W
(3/20/03 4:44 am)
 As for a special tool, I got a length of 25mm (ithink) square section tube, then nipped in the four sides in a vice so it looked like a 4 pointed star, then it is a metter of pinch a bit, try it, pinch a bit try it until you get it to fit in the large start socket affair on the inside of the fork, then using the allen key in the bottom of the fork leg undo it.

When the inside damper bit is out, it is worth measuring it so that you can be more accurate with the tool fo rnext time.

Dave

amaner
(3/30/03 1:11 pm)
 It really is a trivial job, provided you have the right tools. A fork seal driver will cost you some scratch (about $60), but will save you some major aggravation!  The tool described by Dave1W will work as well. As for the actual process of removing/reinstalling the forks, just follow your repair manual.

The most important piece of advice is: Be clean! Clean and inspect EVERY single piece you take out. I use parts washing fluid (from Autozone) in a large paint roller bin. Let them dry complete before reinstalling.

As for replacement parts, you should buy new oil seals and dust seals at a minimum, and new inner and outer teflon bushings if you have a little extra dough. I put stock springs and BelRay 5wt fork oil in my girlfriend's bike (she weighs about 145), and that seems to be perfect. You might want a heavier oil, depending on your weight.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7