Author Topic: Misfire  (Read 8993 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Misfire
« on: March 11, 2005, 10:21:46 PM »
Misfire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zulwong
(6/10/01 12:11 am)
missfire

Every time I'm warming up my bike for about two minutes before moving off. I place my hand on every exhaust pipe near at cylinder block. I found one of the pipe are cooler than the other three!
I wondering is this a normal if not what is the possible cause and how to rectify it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DjSuperfly
(6/10/01 6:58 pm)
check spark plug wires...

I would check the wires where the boot is...I found that mine just came off one day...it just screws on...you could also check coils, I had to insulate each of the prongs that the smaller wire went to on my coils with more insulation because it was sparking across to the nearby frame...beyond that, I don't know what else to check for...improper spark is a bad habbit with these bandits...

Bao

are all of the pipes warning up to the same temp after riding some...?...maybe you might just have moisture build up in the spark plug holes from the previous night...I also found that any traces of water down there would cause mine to miss-fire

zulwong
(6/11/01 7:27 am)
Re: missfire

I agree with you about the "bad habbit".I will try to trace the wiring when i got free time.
Some fellow down here suspect a low compression cause by the worn piston ring,but i don't see any white smoke!

Sirigul
(6/11/01 1:11 pm)
Insulation

Bao-

Could you provide some more detail about how and what you used to insulate your wires? I'd like to do that too. I got a shock one time looking for a spark and my hand was near a plug wire. Thanks

DjSuperfly
(6/11/01 3:48 pm)
I used

I went and bought wire insulation...some heat shrink tubing from an electronic store (or hardware store) and some of those "L" shaped rubber boots like the ones that are (or should be) currently on your bandit. Wrapped a couple layer of insulation on, put on those rubber boots and wrapped the heat shrink tubing on...making sure to cover as much as possible...heat it a bit to get it nice and tight...that was it...

Bao

Electrical tape can work inplace of wire insulation...just wind on a few more layers if you use electrical tape...

zulwong
(6/12/01 10:24 am)
Re: missfire

Bao,

Do you mean that it need to open up the coil casing near at rhs foot rest? how about the engine oil?
If all the wiring connection are ok,is it a carb. was out of calibration?

DjSuperfly
(6/13/01 5:24 pm)
sorry it took me so long to reply...but

Well, you don't need to go that far...you might need to trace the wire to its origin and insulate as much of the wire as you feel neccessary...I only went as far as where the individual wires go into the bigger wire loom, which on mine was around the air box...I was too lazy at the time to undo the whole wire loom and insulate those wires all the way back to the source...but you shouldn't need to open any thing other than wire looms...

I do know for a fact that my bike runs extremely rich...the shops I've talked with have said that...1) if I had a jet kit in it, it was done pourly...2) it doesn't have a jet kit...#)the needles are wearing down and sticking or getting deposits and sticking...

I'm waiting on some cash so I can have the carbs redone and run on a dyno (~$300 = parts + labor + dyno time)

Due to the richness problem...I've recently found out that (since the weather is warmer)...my bandit runs like sh*t when it warms up...from a rolling stop, it will just about dye if I try to leave with the rpms under 4000...while riding, anyware along the rpm range but most notebly at and above 6000 rpm, if I give it throttle, it stumbles a bit then picks up...but it doesn't pick up like it did when it was cold outside...it picks with a lagging acceleration...the exhaust note always seems to sound like its bubbly...not good...

As stated above, when the cash is there, Ill get the carbs redone...dynoed...I will also borrow my brother's DV Camera and with the permission of the fellow who's gonna work on my bike, film the procedure...possibly in the end, putting that on a CD-R as an mpeg file...and distrubute it to those who want to do it themselves and save a few bucks...

Bao
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7