Author Topic: Rusty Tank  (Read 9348 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Rusty Tank
« on: March 11, 2005, 10:25:07 PM »
Rusty Tank
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miles321
(5/17/01 5:07 pm)
Gas Tank Inner Suface Rusting - Need a Solution!

Anyone have a good effective way to remove gas tank rust?

I had the tank dipped before for about $100 and that worked great, except for the $100 part of it. Okay, so I take my tank to the painter to have it painted (Duh!) so I can finish this ongoing bandit 400 streetfighter project, and the darned thing had rusted (Surface) on the inside within the 2 weeks the guy had it!

Any simple solutions to getting rid of the surface rust without me having to dip it again?
Thanks...

Miles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bandit14E
KREEM

It's easy to do and the KREEM kit will cost you less than $30. You can find it at your local motorcycle
shop( Well I know for a fact they have it at Cycle Gear).It provides detailed instructions to.
You'll need a free day to do the kreeming step though. You get better results in cool to warm weather. If it's too hot the kreem will dry and thicken too quickly.

Also mask off the ouside and filler hole of your tank. If you get it on the areas that weren't meant to be kreemed you'll have to sand it out of use rubbing compound to get it out

When you use the etch and rust removing sollution, do not use the entire bottle. You might need another treatment to remove all the rust. Pour less than half the bottle of sollution into the gas tank, then fill a little more than half way with warm to hot water. Shake well, then fill the tank up with water, so the solution can contact the inside surface of the tank.Let it set over night.

After you remove the rust from the tank rinse the sollution from the tank. Do not blow dry the tank or it will flash rust, use the sollution provided to remove the water.
Kreeming is done imediately after the water is removed.
It's best to do it some where with a lot of light. You'll want to see how evenly the tank is being coated.
Afte the tank is kreemed you should let it cure for 1- 2 weeks. If you can still smell solvent from the tank the curing is not finished. I used a small PC fan to promote air circulation in the gas tank.

ravanelli
Re: Gas Tank Inner Suface Rusting - Need a Solution!

Here's a repost of my response to the same question a couple months ago, best of luck:

I "Kreemed" my tank two weeks ago. It takes a few hours to prep the tank, an hour to coat it properly, and about a week to cure it solid (that's if you really want it cured well). The polymer coating is pretty nasty stuff, so make sure you've got good ventilation. It'll eat through any non-metal, so don't get it on anything, especially your precious paint job. I'd wear gloves if I did it again (unless you're into stinging sensations and hard to remove white stains on your hands).

Also, be prepared to deal with the excess polymer that you pour off before curing. A guy at my local shop told me about a friend of his that poured the stuff down his drain to get rid of it. For those of you that aren't familiar with Kreem, it hardens into a hard plastic-like shell pretty quickly. Needless to say, this guy wasn't using that sink for a while afterward.

Anyway, I'd recommend the stuff as an inexpensive fix for light rusting. If you're interested, these two sites have some good tips to supplement the directions on the bottle:

www.jps.net/inaword/blaine/kreem.html
www.igs.net/~hogank/gasliner.htm

Fitz Racing
(5/17/01 10:20 pm)
Rust

Yamaha gas tank rust remover and the neutralizer works the best. We stock it, and so should your local dealer.

Chad

Miles321
(5/18/01 1:14 pm)
Many "Tanks!"

Many Thanks for the Tank advice...

Ill let you know how it goes...
Miles
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED