Author Topic: Timing Chain Tensioner Help  (Read 9688 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Timing Chain Tensioner Help
« on: March 11, 2005, 09:37:24 PM »
Timing Chain Tensioner Help
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bandhawkit
(12/18/01 11:42 pm)
Timing Chain Tensioner help needed

I recently got a Bandit 400 and upon inspection of the inside of the valve cover noticed timing chain wear marks. The chain felt reasonably tight but when I pushed down on the chain between the two cam gears the chain went slightly slack. The tensioner re-tensioned the chain when I turned the engine over with a wrench, but when I ride the bike at just the right RPM I can hear the chain slapping the valve cover. Does anyone out there have any experiance with this problem? Is there a way to adjust the tensioner? Any and all help appreciated. Thanks, Adam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jumbojim4x4  
(12/19/01 5:31 pm)
A bit of help

First, are you sure it's the cam chain making the noise? I'd make sure before playing with anything that's not broken.

The chain tensioner is auto. No adjustment. If the cam chain is worn, I wouldn't ride the bike until it's replaced.

Info from the service manual:

If you remove it to check its function, insert a screwdriver into the screw on the tensioner and turn the screw clockwise to release the tention. And unbolt the tensioner. There is a long rod on it going into the engine so make sure you have enough room beind it. When it's removed, check for smooth rod movement. If it sticks at all, replace it. It is not rebuildable. If it's OK, put in back in. Torque the bolts to 6-8Nm or 6-8.8 ft-lb. Turn the screw counterclockwise to retension the chain.

Good luck!
Jim Smith

Bandhawkit
(12/26/01 9:15 pm)
Re: Timing Chain Tensioner help needed

aaaaaaHAAAAA!!

Some numb-skull removed the bolts that hold the top chain guide in place, the guide was found down inside between the 2 middle cylinders. Freaking morons, this was done by a Suzuki dealership no less-

Adam
---------------------------------------------------
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7