Author Topic: Valve Clearance Check  (Read 8910 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Valve Clearance Check
« on: March 11, 2005, 09:14:27 PM »
Valve Clearance Check
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KrisB4
(7/20/02 5:26 am)
Valve check

As I am doing more and more work on my B4 by my own - I'm a bit sick of those servicemen - I have few questions on valve check.
Did anybody do the check by his own?
Is it any pain to get to them?
I've heard the the coolant must be drained nad thermostat removed.

Thank for any info,
Kris
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The one armed Bandit
(7/20/02 2:51 pm)
No, it's not THAT bad.

Coming from a background of singles and twins I found the innards below the gas tank to be a rat's nest. However, I have become accustomed to setting the valves on my Bandit. Yes, the radiator must be drained, thermostat removed, coils removed, and so on. Halfway through a tune I can be heard pining for the "good old days" of my air cooled two valve SR500 and how that would take me about 15 min. from start to finish... Luckily I am ignored by all until my senile rantings desist. That being said I highly recomend buying a service manual for servicing the bike. It is invaluable. I have recently read in the UK based Performance Bikes magazine that some, not all, 400 Bandits have suffered from top end problems. They estimated that the reason for some of these top end problems could be that some owners don't service their bikes as frequently as they should have. If I recall correctly servicing is a bit of a pian so it is often avoided. My 400 just reached 10k mi. and I found that in about 3k mi. the valves tightened up quite a bit. I had a friend with a 450 Nighthawk that needed its valves adjusted at ridicuously short intervals and would run quite poorly when it got close to needing an adjustment. So can anyone comment on the running condition of their bikes before valve adjustments or to what degree/do your valves tighten up?
DOT3
(7/22/02 11:38 am)
Re: No, it's not THAT bad.

I do valve clearance every 5k miles.Currently clocked 25k on my B400. It's more time consuming then it’s difficult. Some people neglect the fact that engine needs correct valve clearance and balanced carburetors. It helps when you like to get the most out of your engine.
KrisB4
(7/22/02 12:33 pm)
Re: No, it's not THAT bad.

Ok, so I'll try it myself.
At least I'll be sure its done.
Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Kris
DOT3
(7/22/02 2:36 pm)
Re: Valve check

Just make sure that rocket cover gasket is properly sealed after valve adjustment. Use some instant gasket sealant.

Do you have valve clearance gaps? I had somewhere link to the page with few pictures. I will check it out.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7