Author Topic: 01-03 GSXR750 rear shock  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
01-03 GSXR750 rear shock
« on: October 18, 2005, 02:52:38 PM »
Who knows the distance from the top of the mounting hold to the canister, as I planning to get one of this shock to install on my gsxr400rp.

I need to see if there is enough clearance from the tailboard to the canister.

Thanks.
B4 Mod: K&N crankcase & air filter;gsxr750 rear shock;grounding wire;gsxr400 blinkers;Super 4 mirrors;fork protector;chain oiler;Hel front brake hose;Kappa windshield;Givi maxia box;fan/ headlight/hazard light switch;Stebel horn

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
01-03 GSXR750 rear shock
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 09:14:01 PM »
Several of us have done this conversion and there are a lot of postings on the subject, just do a search.  

I can tell you for sure that you will either have to relocate the coolant overflow bottle or move the battery box back toward the rear of the bike with some home made spacers to clear the shock resevoir.  Also, it will hit on the airbox, but not bad enough to effect anything, so no point in making a modification.  The bigger deal is that you have to grind the bottom of the shock to clear the linkage.  You will need to space your dogbones apart with washers to clear the spring, it is bigger than the B4 spring.  

Be sure and read a couple of the previous posts.  It is a very worthwhile mod for the bike, makes a big difference in stability.  If you really want to perk up you suspension, put progressive or race-tech fork springs in it with fresh 15 weight fork oil and set the sag at both ends to about 25 mm.

Good luck,
RacerRuss
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
01-03 GSXR750 rear shock
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 04:23:38 AM »
Quote from: "Racerruss-ducati"
Several of us have done this conversion and there are a lot of postings on the subject, just do a search.  

I can tell you for sure that you will either have to relocate the coolant overflow bottle or move the battery box back toward the rear of the bike with some home made spacers to clear the shock resevoir.  Also, it will hit on the airbox, but not bad enough to effect anything, so no point in making a modification.  The bigger deal is that you have to grind the bottom of the shock to clear the linkage.  You will need to space your dogbones apart with washers to clear the spring, it is bigger than the B4 spring.  

Be sure and read a couple of the previous posts.  It is a very worthwhile mod for the bike, makes a big difference in stability.  If you really want to perk up you suspension, put progressive or race-tech fork springs in it with fresh 15 weight fork oil and set the sag at both ends to about 25 mm.

Good luck,
RacerRuss

I am riding GSXR400 now, the GSF400 have been sold off quite sometime ago, I have installed a 93 GSXR750WP shock on the B4, and I know the older gsxr750/1100 will fit the gsxr400 without any modification but I want to have a newer shock.

The GSXR400 is slightly different from GSF400, there is a piece of hard plastic underneath the battery, and the reserve coolant bottle is on the left side of the bike.

I want to know the distance from the top mounting bolt to the integrated canister of the newer shock to see if there is clearance.
B4 Mod: K&N crankcase & air filter;gsxr750 rear shock;grounding wire;gsxr400 blinkers;Super 4 mirrors;fork protector;chain oiler;Hel front brake hose;Kappa windshield;Givi maxia box;fan/ headlight/hazard light switch;Stebel horn

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
01-03 GSXR750 rear shock
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 04:09:55 PM »
I am riding GSXR400 now, the GSF400 have been sold off quite sometime ago, I have installed a 93 GSXR750WP shock on the B4, and I know the older gsxr750/1100 will fit the gsxr400 without any modification but I want to have a newer shock.

The GSXR400 is slightly different from GSF400, there is a piece of hard plastic underneath the battery, and the reserve coolant bottle is on the left side of the bike.

I want to know the distance from the top mounting bolt to the integrated canister of the newer shock to see if there is clearance.

Sorry, I should have read your question more closely.  I am on the road right now, but when I return home, I will take the measurement and post it.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track