Author Topic: Air Jet Question?  (Read 7917 times)

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Air Jet Question?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 05:23:50 PM »
Quote from: Herr Tod
Quote from: Thief400
2. not a tuning item.

I disagree with that. It is in fact a very important part, and you can do a lot of tuning with it. In fact, I think it should be replaced by a different sized jet if you use a jet kit that changes the emulsion tube.

Well sir that proves how much you know! These items the main air jet and pilot air jet are never included in any CV carb rejetting kits. And if I think back far enough to the last carbs I had to try to fix because some Moron tried to remove these same jets they are pressed into the carb body. And Second CV carbs don't have emulsion tubes!!! Fixed venturi carbs have them
I will however agree with you that they do affect the jetting but that is figured at the design stage and never used after the basic fuel curve is plotted out on a flow bench.  The slide cut away, needle jet, jet needle, pilot jet, diaphragm springs, and main jets  are all we need to refine the jetting.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Air Jet Question?
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 06:22:31 PM »
From the service manual (Fuel and Lubrication System 4-8): "Meanwhile, the fuel in float chamber (3) is metered by main jet (4), and the metered fuel enters needle jet (5), in which it mixes with the air admitted through main air jet (6) to form an emulsion."

I don't care what you call the tubes, but in that tube an emulsion of fuel and air is formed. So you could call it an emulsion tube I suppose.

The air jet reduces the signal from the needle jet so there is less pressure difference to cause fuel flow through the main jet. With this you can fine tune the main jet system. It also lowers the viscosity of the fuel and improves atomisation so the system is able to respond faster to changing fuel requirements of the engine.

I could be wrong of course, up to you to explain that to us :wink:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Air Jet Question?
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 09:17:04 PM »
Id call them emulsion tubes to! pilot jet and main jat thats all I know that are in those carbs slide needle, slide , float assembly, fuel air screw, float needle. enrichner tube (think that one works with the choke. Ive had to put air jet correctors in cv carbs before for some factory jet kits , you had to drill out air jet hole bigger with supplied drill bit and put the new one on to the old one and they sent a small tube of super glue to make sure it didnt vibrate out. ( now on that note ive seen the pilot screws on these carbs stripe off, and the air fuel screws. So what has this whole mess turned in to? :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Air Jet Question?
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 09:33:11 AM »
I was waiting for you to show up on this one Jay!  What took you so long LOL

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Air Jet Question?
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 12:47:45 PM »
So does that prove how much I know, sir? :beers:

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Air Jet Question?
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 10:54:08 PM »
Ok here's the scoop, Seems that Factory Pro for some unknown reason desided to toss around the name emulsion tube in place of the proper name needle jet. But after dealing with them last summer I can beleive it. They also didn't know that Non US spec Bandits have 33mm carbs and told me that if I purchased one of their jet kits they didn't know if it would work

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Air Jet Question?
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 09:00:54 AM »
Quote from: Thief400
Ok here's the scoop, Seems that Factory Pro for some unknown reason desided to toss around the name emulsion tube in place of the proper name needle jet.

Not necesarily, the name Emulsion tube has been around along time and is taught in many mechanic schools and is in many books ( shop manual or service manual)
Here are some more confusing terms : petcock, fuel switch, pilot jet, slow jet, air screw , fuel screw, air/fuel screw, tachometer, rev counter, piston clip, jesus clip, rim, wheel, disc, rotor, gas, fuel, ignition switch, ignition kill switch, enrichner, choke, ignitor, pickup, coil, cdi, spark box, ect... :beers:
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Air Jet Question?
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 02:12:04 AM »
Quote from: NintyOne
OK hotshot, dance around the issue all you want. I have no further response for this foolishness.

I recant everything i have said I just cleaned garyolas carbs for him and yes there were air jets that un screwed at the mouth of the carbsand they are like .6 or something. sorry for my disbeleif bro but i run race carbs and not the stockers. but you up shit creek if it dont run right you might as well get a new set of carbs.
cheers
jay