Author Topic: Registering out of state bike  (Read 2912 times)

Offline shenphong

• New user!
Registering out of state bike
« on: July 18, 2005, 06:58:52 PM »
I was wondering how difficult is it or possible to register an out of state motorcycle in california, currently looking at some b4s but they are all out of state titled bikes, new to the process and would appreciate any advice.

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 11:40:16 AM »
As I remember, there are problems if the bike has less than 7500 miles. You can call DMV and talk with them about it to learn the rules.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 11:55:41 AM »
Quote from: "jcmjrt"
As I remember, there are problems if the bike has less than 7500 miles...

:?:

Only in California!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 12:55:30 AM »
Yeah Rob, I find myself using that phrase a lot too.

Yes, vehicles with less than 7,500 miles are considered to be "new" vehicles in California and cannot be registered in state and it is illegal to drive one unregistered to get it past 7,500 miles.  There are a few exceptions.  As for what you will need to do to register an out of state bike, here is what the DMV says:

How do I register the vehicle with out-of-state plates that I purchased?

You must apply for California registration and pay all registration and license fees within 20 days of your purchase.

You will need to:

Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
Submit the out-of-state title signed by the seller
Provide an odometer mileage certification signed by both you (the buyer) and the seller
Provide evidence of the California Smog Certification
Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle's identification number (for your convenience, we recommend that you schedule an appointment)
Pay the fees

With a motorcycle, I'm not sure how picky they will be about the smog cert.  If you are a AAA member, call them up and they can help you out.  Good luck!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 01:07:05 AM »
Does CA smog check motorcyles on a regular basis like they do cars?

Here in WA, in the zones that require tail pipe sniffing, bikes don't get sniffed, only cages. If CA is that way, then I'm guessing a smog cert isn't needed on a bike.

I always enjoy visiting CA, but I could never put up with all the BS that comes with residency.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 01:21:13 AM »
No, bikes don't have smog checks.  In fact, the smog equipment that came on my bike is long gone (was when I bought it in '95).

I have to say (and some of you will hate me for it) that I love the smoking ban in bars and restaurants in CA.  So not everything is bad.

We do have a hell of a lot of vehicles here, so some kind of emissions control is necessary, but I don't see why federal emissions standards aren't good enough.