Author Topic: anyone racing good tire deal  (Read 8631 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: anyone racing good tire deal
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 03:23:57 AM »
But,.. at the same time, r_outsider keeps pushing me to take it out to the track, and he's right.  I'm starting to get stupider and stupider on the street.  Time to don the leathers and get out there.  My biggest hang up is I really don't want to low side dita.  That would pretty much write her off.

On the street, less is controllable.  You -should- be more afraid on the street.  People are out to kill you on the streets.  Curbs, trees, cars, buses... lots more to hit, and at least on the track, the other riders are aware of you.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 03:30:29 AM »
your up late to? i even have class at 8 in the morning. you could get slider for her, that would take a lot of the damage of a low slide... and a high side.. well.. any bike doesnt fair well from those. but i am scared to crash my bike as well.. but.. we only live once. might as well make it fun.
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 11:47:05 AM »
oh i know i am going to crash, i have already come to terms that i will eventually crash on the street. oddly i am more scared to crash on the street then the track, my friends think i am crazy because of this.

I think your friends are crazy.  At least on the track everyone is going in the same direction (unless they're crashing), there's usually run-off areas and other safety features for when you leave the circuit.  On the street, there's cars coming at you from every which way - including the ones travelling in the same direction as you.  It's pretty rare that there's any serious safety features if you leave the road and should you need an ambulance, it's very doubtful one will get to you faster on a public road than one can at the track.

OTOH, if you're a half-sane rider, you wouldn't be riding a race-pace on a public road either...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »
Yeah - crashing is going to suck no matter where you do it but at the track your chances of just having rashed gear and maybe a broken collar bone are pretty good on the street... who knows. 

Stormi - Like Kako said, get some sliders.

Kako - there may not be many 400s around but you can have fun chasing down the SVs!   :wink:  Hell on a tight track in a track-day environment, you can have A LOT of fun playing with the modern 600s and 1000s. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 05:09:17 PM »
Hell on a tight track in a track-day environment, you can have A LOT of fun playing with the modern 600s and 1000s. 

Only if those guys are twats. The Bandit's problem is it's low height and center of gravity. You need a higher lean angle at the same corner speed than any race bike, as they have a higher center of gravity. Some other thing the B4 has is a frame that was not designed for racing use, believe it or not but I can feel the frame bend when I throw it into a corner or make a quick change of directions. Hell of a riding experience nevertheless, gotta love this thing under you, bending jumping and screaming... but still dead on it's cornering line :bigok:

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 05:54:27 PM »

Stormi - Like Kako said, get some sliders.

I've already got them for the 919, bought them before I took possession of the bike ( had a lot of confidence in my ability, eh? :wink: )

I think I remember reading that pretty much any sliders that are long enough will do, so I will check a few places before we put her back on the road for the year.  The other thing I've been entertaining is seeing if we can pick up a used (or new if my contract comes through) CBR125, and take that to the track, not so much to try to win, but to learn.  Then when I'm more confident, bring the others out.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »
your up late to? i even have class at 8 in the morning. you could get slider for her, that would take a lot of the damage of a low slide... and a high side.. well.. any bike doesnt fair well from those. but i am scared to crash my bike as well.. but.. we only live once. might as well make it fun.

Yeah, I'm not a real insomniac, but I do play one on this forum.  :roll:

Had an interview for a contract today, and I -never- sleep before one of those.

I just keep picturing having to replace that tank after a dump or something.  Of course it would get rid of the dent from when the KTM knocked the CR into it and gave her a souvenir .  *sigh*
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 06:24:59 PM »
who said anything about me owning a bandit.... even though i am on a bandit forum. on that topic how does the gsxr frame handle jay? it is aluminum so it should be stiffer. but they did switch to the 2 spur frame after this model, so maybe there was a problem.  wasnt there a guy around that could get custom sliders done? i think the 125 would be a little small for the track. unless you wanted to race in that class. i think the new ninja would be much more fun. tho it looks like most of the companies are going to release a 250 version, so it might pay to do some research and maybe a little waiting.
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 07:32:43 PM »
i think the 125 would be a little small for the track. unless you wanted to race in that class.

I like the size of the 125.  Confidence inspiring for someone my height. 

I was thinking that if they'd bring a CBR250 or something, that would be the cat's ass, but the 125 is nice in it's cheap buy in, and the cheap repair.  I heard from the dealer that that lower cowl was something like $32 when it first hit the market, and the front cowl is something like $78.  You almost wouldn't feel bad about exploding one or two of those.   :lol:
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 09:45:48 PM »
Hell on a tight track in a track-day environment, you can have A LOT of fun playing with the modern 600s and 1000s. 

Only if those guys are twats. The Bandit's problem is it's low height and center of gravity. You need a higher lean angle at the same corner speed than any race bike, as they have a higher center of gravity. Some other thing the B4 has is a frame that was not designed for racing use, believe it or not but I can feel the frame bend when I throw it into a corner or make a quick change of directions. Hell of a riding experience nevertheless, gotta love this thing under you, bending jumping and screaming... but still dead on it's cornering line :bigok:

I'm not sure I'm bright enough to understand how a low COG is a detriment on the track.  I could get to the edge of my tires and get my knee down as easy on the B4 as on the CBR. 

Yeah, there are some twats that show up for trackdays on bigger, newer bikes.  And twats or not, its fun to mess with them on the track.   :lol:

Kako - sorry, forgot you were on the gixxer.  Same applies.  Still fun!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 01:29:51 AM »
oh ya.. stormi is a Honda girl now... traitor.. hahaha jk. but dam.. thats cheap to fix. i guess i just personally don't like those bikes just cuz i am tall, because i am 6,3 and if i am not mistaken i can flat foot my bike while sitting on the tank.. but it doesn't feel any smaller then other bikes. i took my sisters 636 out for a little ride and felt the same size. but as it sits right now i am scared just to get my drivers permit, i think i broke my toe tonight.. and my test is in under a month. but on a better note my mom just randomly offered to buy me racing boots.. i think its a sign. :lol:
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »
I'm not sure I'm bright enough to understand how a low COG is a detriment on the track.  I could get to the edge of my tires and get my knee down as easy on the B4 as on the CBR. 

Yeah, there are some twats that show up for trackdays on bigger, newer bikes.  And twats or not, its fun to mess with them on the track.   :lol:

Kako - sorry, forgot you were on the gixxer.  Same applies.  Still fun!

On the CBR you can have a higher cornering speed because you do not have to lean the bike as much as a B4 at equal speed.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »
seems to me i timed a 125 and 2 600's thru the same corner once all same timeso im lost on what your saying :idea:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 12:16:57 AM »
The CBR125(as opposed to the RS125 2-stroke race bike)Stormi is talking about never made it to the US. It's been around Europe for a few years, the red brand brought it to Canada last year. It's cheap($3K CDN). It's small. It's light(240 lbs). It's nimble. It has all of 11 HP and tops out at 70 MPH. In short, it's the freaking go-kart of the sport bike world. So naturally quite a few guys bought them specifically for racing with each other on tight, kart type tracks. It's a blast to go into a corner 4 wide at 40 mph rather than 100! And while Stormi would do fine at a track day with either the 919 or the Bandit(especially the Bandit), she would probably have as much or more fun racing on a machine that was slower and presumably easier to control and not crash real hard on while learning the intricities of racecraft. And even if it did go down, the fairing is under $50 from Honda!   

Kako-take that Gixxer to Stratotech. That track is MADE for smaller and nimbler bikes. Who cares what everyone else rides? From what I hear, it's tough to get a big machine out of second.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 12:51:31 AM by r_outsider »

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »
that little race track looks fun. one thing now that i am really unsure of is getting the racing permit. all the tracks look like they have courses to get these permits. but are they all the same? can i use this permit anywhere? i tho it would be fun i will probly end up going to a bigger course as my buddy that lives up in fort mac who i will be riding with (and going to the track with) has a 636, so i dont think he will like small track to much. gotta learn how to go drag racing to, my sisters friend laughed at my bike when i told him it had 50hp. i asked him if he wanted to race for slips. because he has a turbo ed bmw, but we are just doing $50 some time this summer at bud park.
Kev
GSXR 400