Author Topic: Bandit 400 smooth upper triple clamp  (Read 4588 times)

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 400 smooth upper triple clamp
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 12:49:48 AM »
its ok buddy, I paid for the triple tree already. Now i just need to figure out what works.  If not im going to go with the gsxr front end conversion.  Thanks for all your help though.

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 11:37:14 AM »
Actually there is a product that might let you use that top triple with the stock european clipons. They're called 'fork tube extenders' or something similar. I can't remember where I saw them, but try google. They are a big slug of 41mm OD aluminum that is basically a very very thick fork tube cap. You would not have to change your fork position and these would stick up enough so you could clamp the clipons to them.
Now, if these things would be strong enough for this purpose, or if they have the proper threads for our fork tubes,  I have no idea. I just came across them when I was looking at changing bar position, might be something you would want to consider.
Regards,
Steve
1991 B4

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 11:51:12 AM »
The modification to the headlight bracket is probably the best in this case.  I would not use the fork tube extenders because they could come unscrewed under heavy brake loading if the clip on was attached to it.  The triple bracket is the same geometry as the stock US Bandit model, just without the stands for the handlebars.  I am not sure what the European bikes used for a headlight bracket, you may be able to buy those on Ebay, but I am not sure.  When I used this upper triple and the clip ons, I did not have a headlight on the bike (track day bike).  Be a fun winter project either way.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 12:52:10 PM »
I'm not sure the fork extenders are strong enough for this application, however they will not come unscrewed with stock Euro clipons because those have the extra mounting bolt to stop them from turning.
The Euro headlight brackets won't help doqq if he goes with the Vortex clipons under the top triple. Since the Euro clipons are mounted above the top triple, the clearance issues are no different than with the NA handlebar models.
If you do decide to go with above the tree clipons doqq, you MAY be able to find clipons from a NA market Suzuki with 41mm forks (like a Katana) that would work. May be cheaper than importing a pair.
Regards,
Steve
1991 B4