Author Topic: Checking the valve clearances...  (Read 6415 times)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
Checking the valve clearances...
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:23:05 AM »
OK gang....I think I am going to attempt to check my valve clearances myself. Yeah....I know...this coming from the guy who cant seem to install simple brake pads, or remove the tank....  :lol:

I got quoted $300 for the valve job, and I beleive that I can actually perform this task myself DAMMIT!!!

I have the full Suzuki manual, and it seems pretty straight-forward...but, as usual, I got some questions...

-Will I need a new valve cover gasket? Or can I use that liquid gasket sealant?

-It says to turn the crank so that the valves line up correctly...how do I do this? I assume I can just leave it in gear and turn the back wheel.....

-Do I have to remove the radiator?

-Do I need any special tools?

-How likely is it that I'll screw this up?  :lol: Maybe I should just call the mechanic....  :duh:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 01:20:29 PM »
First you have to remove the tank, coils, then drain the coolant, then remove the radiator and Thermostat housing. Then you can remove the valve cover. Next you need to unscrew that plug on the right hand side of the engine its got a huge slot. This reveals a 17mm bolt which you use to turn the engine over (only ever turn this clockwise). Now just line up the slots on the cams. And adjust the clearances as it tells you in the manual. Next time i do mine il do a photo guide on how to do it.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: Checking the valve clearances...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 01:26:02 PM »
Quote from: "GooseMan"
I got quoted $300 for the valve job, and I beleive that I can actually perform this task myself DAMMIT!!!

There's no reason that you can't do this yourself, if you take your time, and follow the instructions.

The gasket is reusable if it's not pinched or otherwise damaged.

-It says to turn the crank so that the valves line up correctly...how do I do this? I assume I can just leave it in gear and turn the back wheel.....

This one is better answered by someone else.  I don't remember what was done the second time we adjusted the valves.   The first time, the engine was not in the bike, so that's a totally different ballpark.  

This link should be of some use though:
http://www.dansmc.com/valveclearence.htm

No,... does it tell you to in the service manual?

Metric feeler gauge,... and too loose is better than too tight btw...

-How likely is it that I'll screw this up?  :lol: Maybe I should just call the mechanic....  :duh:

Like I said, go slow, pay attention.  If anything frustrates you, step back, don't keep working on it.  Come ask questions.  Do you have any friends that work on bikes that can come and watch over your shoulder?

The one gotcha that we found was that when you take the valve cover off, there's a bunch of locator "dowels" (they actually are about the size of a small socket) that help you put the valve cover on straight.   These sit into recesses on the piece that you're removing the valve cover from, but sometimes -can- come up with the valve cover instead.  However, they are loose fit, so, if you're unlucky, you can find them tumbling down inside the engine.  Ours required the removal of one of the oil lines to get at, but not full disassembly.

We're not the only one's either: http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=2169

If you're really unsure of your ability, here's something else you can try.  Ask for a quote if you bring the bike to them already torn down.  Load it into the back of a pickup truck with the tank, seat and other bits off, so all they have to do is take the valve cover off, adjust and reassemble.   Then you take it back home and assemble the rest ( or do it in the parking lot.)
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: Checking the valve clearances...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 02:09:15 PM »
Quote from: "stormi"
I got quoted $300 for the valve job, and I believe that I can actually perform this task myself DAMMIT!!!

There's no reason that you can't do this yourself, if you take your time, and follow the instructions.

The gasket is reusable if it's not pinched or otherwise damaged.  Or hard as a rock

This one is better answered by someone else.  I don't remember what was done the second time we adjusted the valves.   The first time, the engine was not in the bike, so that's a totally different ballpark.  Simply stated if the cam lobe highest point is facing away from the pad it rubs on then you can adjust that valve :stickpoke:
This link should be of some use though:
http://www.dansmc.com/valveclearence.htm

No,... does it tell you to in the service manual?
Just remove the bottom bolts so you can move it forward a bit . With it off its a lot nicer to look at things though.

Metric feeler gauge,... and too loose is better than too tight btw... In the middle is the best slight drag!

Like I said, go slow, pay attention.  If anything frustrates you, step back, don't keep working on it.  Come ask questions.  Do you have any friends that work on bikes that can come and watch over your shoulder?
Agreed

The one gotcha that we found was that when you take the valve cover off, there's a bunch of locator "dowels" (they actually are about the size of a small socket) that help you put the valve cover on straight.   These sit into recesses on the piece that you're removing the valve cover from, but sometimes -can- come up with the valve cover instead.  However, they are loose fit, so, if you're unlucky, you can find them tumbling down inside the engine.  Ours required the removal of one of the oil lines to get at, but not full dis-assembly.
I through these away because of this reason none needed part in my book the moons help it line up and i don't need it falling down my cam chain hole. But i have my valve cover off alot .
We're not the only one's either: http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=2169

If you're really unsure of your ability, here's something else you can try.  Ask for a quote if you bring the bike to them already torn down.  Load it into the back of a pickup truck with the tank, seat and other bits off, so all they have to do is take the valve cover off, adjust and reassemble.   Then you take it back home and assemble the rest ( or do it in the parking lot.)

cheers
jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 02:24:05 PM »
You don't need to pull the access plate to turn the crank over, just tap the starter switch lightly to turn the whole shebang. If you bike likes to start at the slightest touch then 1) you're lucky  :roll: and 2) pull the plug wires.

Also, you don't need to touch the radiator at all to get the valve cover out, though it probably makes it easier. It just takes a little careful jockeying of the valve cover to get it through the frame. But you *do* need to pull the cooling system cap/thermo housing assembly.

Once you've done the job a couple times its really pretty easy. If you focused and have no other problems come up, you can pull it all, adjust the valves and put it back together in about an hour. But I've done it a few times :wink:

Also, if you've had to make any real adjustments, then a carb sync is in order.

Tools: you need an 8mm box end (better than open end, IMO) wrench and you need this little gadget: take a standard #2 SQUARE-DRIVE sheetrock screw and twist it into the end of a piece of broom handle or other type of thing you can hold onto. It makes a great tool for working the square valve stem adjuster. Then you use the 8mm to loosen the locknut. use themakeshift tool in one hand and the feeler gauge inthe other to set the clearance. Then without moving the makeshift adjusting tool, tighten up the 8mm again and you're set.

A

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 02:38:15 PM »
If you've got a centerstand or rear wheel pit stand, you can turn the motor over by putting the gearbox in 5th or 6th and turning the rear wheel by hand.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 02:43:06 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
If you've got a centerstand or rear wheel pit stand, you can turn the motor over by putting the gearbox in 5th or 6th and turning the rear wheel by hand.

Unless it's been removed, all B4s should have centerstands.   :wink:  

I can't recall off the top of my head, but either the starter trick, or the back wheel was rotated for Dita's valve adjustment.  Both seem very familiar to me.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 03:08:39 PM »
Quote from: "andrewsw"
You don't need to pull the access plate to turn the crank over, just tap the starter switch lightly to turn the whole shebang. If you bike likes to start at the slightest touch then 1) you're lucky  :roll: and 2) pull the plug wires. Pull all plug wires and plug but after you drain you coolant or you'll have a mess in your plug holes i say pull plugs because you need to ground you plugs as not to burn up cdi or i un plug mine or un plug the coil wires.Also, you don't need to touch the radiator at all to get the valve cover out, though it probably makes it easier. It just takes a little careful jockeying of the valve cover to get it through the frame. But you *do* need to pull the cooling system cap/thermo housing assembly.

Once you've done the job a couple times its really pretty easy. If you focused and have no other problems come up, you can pull it all, adjust the valves and put it back together in about an hour. But I've done it a few times :wink:

Also, if you've had to make any real adjustments, then a carb sync is in order.

Tools: you need an 8mm box end (better than open end, IMO) wrench and you need this little gadget: take a standard #2 SQUARE-DRIVE sheetrock screw and twist it into the end of a piece of broom handle or other type of thing you can hold onto. It makes a great tool for working the square valve stem adjuster. Then you use the 8mm to loosen the locknut. use themakeshift tool in one hand and the feeler gauge inthe other to set the clearance. Then without moving the makeshift adjusting tool, tighten up the 8mm again and you're set.

A
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 03:23:43 PM »
Oh...so the adjusment screw for the valves is like a square shape (male)?? Interesting....

And these little dowel pins sound like a bitch! I'm soooooooo gonna lose one in the engine!  :duh: Better keep a magnet handy...

Thanks for everything so far guys! Gonna bring the bike to my office/warehouse tonite (I have about 1000 sq/ft of warehouse space...nice and quiet, clean, and no neighboors around to bother me. Living in a condo/apt SUCKS when working on stuff!)
1991 Bandit 400

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 11:56:27 PM »
OK! Everything has been disassembled! So far, so good! Got the valve cover off...now I just need the feeler gauges...so I'll do that tomorrow.

Some questions:

-I need to turn the crank. I have the tranny in neutral, and I tried to shift up to 6th, but it doesnt seem to change...how can I change gears when the engine isnt running? Or...how to turn the crank? I guess you take off that small slotted cover on the right hand side of the engine, right? How do you get that off? Or should I just use the starter....

-I now see the valves and the valve adjustment screws. I'm still unsure as to what exactly I'm measuring...but I'll look more into it tomorrow when I have the camshafts pointing the correct ways, it'll probably become more obvious.

-Is there anything else I should clean/adjust/check while I'm in there?
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 04:50:29 AM »
-I need to turn the crank. I have the tranny in neutral, and I tried to shift up to 6th, but it doesnt seem to change...how can I change gears when the engine isnt running? Or...how to turn the crank? I guess you take off that small slotted cover on the right hand side of the engine, right? How do you get that off? Or should I just use the starter....

you should be able to change gears, just give the rear tire some spin so the gear sprockets move out of each others way then try again.

btw. remove the sparkplugs to lose compression and make it alot easier to rotate the rear wheel.
you can even do it in 1st gear, but 6th gear is more precise..
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 05:09:53 AM »
To remove that slotted cover and turn the engine the way the manual says you need some big flat thing. I used a chisel which fitted into the gap well and then put an adjustable on the chisel to turn it.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 02:15:23 PM »
Brave Gooseman sez:
I now see the valves and the valve adjustment screws. I'm still unsure as to what exactly I'm measuring...but I'll look more into it tomorrow when I have the camshafts pointing the correct ways, it'll probably become more obvious.

Where the rocker arm touches the top of the valve (the valve is the spring wrapped thingy  :lol: ) is a screw adjuster with a locknut. Its the screw with the male square end. If you slide a feeler gauge down that screw below the rocker arm, you'll find a crack where the adjuster meets the top of the valve stem. That's where you measure.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »
I kinda figured it out  :lol:  :duh:

BTW, heres an excellent pic describing what to measure exactly....THIS is what I was looking for!

1991 Bandit 400

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 03:40:46 PM »
OK! I'm in the middle of doing the adjustments as per what the manual says...but I notice its impossible to get the two camshafts aligned 100% like the manual states (with the notches facing inwards...and then the notches facing outwards). I cant seem to crank the engine to get the two notches EXACTLY like in the manual...but mostly so.... It seems if I turn the crank to get one perfectly straight, the other is moving away...

Is this OK?
1991 Bandit 400