Author Topic: Compression Question, Kinda long  (Read 3207 times)

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Compression Question, Kinda long
« on: September 03, 2006, 05:08:55 PM »
Alright, I've been on here off and on for the last year asking questions about my bike.  Since last summer I've been working on doing a top end on my bike a 91 GSF400.  Everything is back together after finding my head gasket was shot, since the engine was already torn down I decided to measure my bores and re ring it.  The bores all measured fine according to the manual so I re honed it, remeasured the bores (they were still within spec after honing) and got a new set of stock sized rings to put back in it.  Now the bike is reassembled and my compression is low on all 4 cylinders but it is equal.  I talked to a guy I work with and he said to redo the compression test but with oil in the cylinders.  My batteries kinda dead but I got to test one cylinder, the compression jumped dramatically which would say it's a problem with the rings.  Well when I reassembled the engine I applied an assembly lube to the cylinder walls,(meant to wash off by oil and heat) does anyone know if this could affect the compression readings? Or is it time for a new engine or order the Big Bore kit offered here and go for a full bore/hone.

FWIW before I added oil to the cylinders all of them tested between 70-80 PSI with oil in the one it jumped to well over 120 before my battery lost power.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 08:25:52 PM »
You have to run the engine to BREAK in the new rings before you ever try checking the compression!!!!!! Some say up to 500 miles

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 09:24:26 PM »
well i re rang my motor 3 times all times it relly never went above 145 all bores measured good and i check before after and during compression I just like to know and compare. but now i have 180-190 psi compression after i bored mine out . Not a sales pitch just sharing my experience.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 11:04:16 PM »
2 reasons Jay, First there is nothing better than a nice straight, true, freshly bores and honed cylinder to provide a good seal, second your cramming a larger volume of air into  the same size combustion chamber so the pressure is going to be higher.

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 01:19:09 AM »
Ok, I didnt know about breaking the engine in first,  I had tried startingthe engine since the rebuild and it wouldnt start.  I got pops and sputters but it would never catch and start running.  From there I checked that I was getting fuel and spark.  Then I thought to do a compression test.  I got the battery charged yesterday and did all four cylinders with oil and they all tested at 145-170 psi.  I think I may just need to try some new spark plugs.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 01:22:10 AM »
Quote from: Thief400
2 reasons Jay, First there is nothing better than a nice straight, true, freshly bores and honed cylinder to provide a good seal, second your cramming a larger volume of air into  the same size combustion chamber so the pressure is going to be higher.

Okay ill buy that but then why does the manual list 140-145 as the lowest spec and 180-200 as the high?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 01:05:32 PM »
Machine tolerances and carbon deposits Jay