Author Topic: New gauge,water/fan temps.....and other current projects.  (Read 4079 times)

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
New gauge,water/fan temps.....and other current projects.
« on: October 21, 2007, 03:09:25 PM »
Never much liking idiot lights,Ive been meaning to get a handle on the Bandit's running temps,especially after switching to the hotter t-stat and rejetting.
So I decided that one extra gauge wont make my dash too cluttered, and I got a Daytona digital unit.The T-stat housing already has a drilled,unused port for a 1/8" NPT fitting,which worked out perfect.Its on the engine side of the T-stat,and only required a quick tap job and to finish drilling the bottom of the port all the way through.Insert sender,run a couple wires and make a simple aluminum bracket to hold the unit.It conveniently block my engine overheat light now,but Im the type thats always glancing at my gauges anyhow.

With average outside temps, (75*F) and combined highway/city riding,the water temps hovered around 185-188* F. Getting up to temp was prolonged,requiring several miles and about 10 minutes although little/no choke was needed.This is with a hot thermostat,dont remember the number,but its the unit that Factory Pro recommends.Sitting in my driveway,the fan kicked on at 210*F and turned off at 195*F.Ive yet to make a hard,prolonged run but I have it planned so I can observe where/when the temp stabilize under high loads and rpms.Later on,if I get bored of watching water temps,the sending unit will plug directly into my oil pressure sender port and I can moniter my oil temps.

Since the rain has struck,Ive also taken to stripping down the FZR and getting her looking as good as the B4.Wheels are off at powdercoat and fresh pearl white paint went over the faded red on the rear and front plastics.The muffler is a Ti stocker off an 01' R1, that almost bolted right up.Tucks in tighter than the stocker and weights less than half as much.Scored a good condition Fox shock off Ebay.New wheel bearings,new Ducati Brembo rotors up front and a set of 6 pistons off a 94' 1000,are also set to install.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 07:03:17 AM »
And the V-Max...?
"Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:08:28 PM »
Bone stock, 20th Anniversary edition with factory red ghost flames.....my buddies,I keep it in my garage for him so it stays nice.Only 500 miles on it,I ride the thing more than he does!......tsk,tsk.......He doesnt need any bikes,and I dont need another bike.But whenever I feel like getting an adreneline rush,that bike delivers.No bike that heavy or that ugly,should accelerate the way it does! :grin:
Hard to believe the first couple year models made even more power,the damn thing almost pulls power wheelies in 1st and 2nd.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 10:52:54 AM »
Try a B-King :grin: That one actually corners too!

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:55:52 AM »
I seen one of those....looks pretty wicked!

Yea,the Mighty Max is more of a straight line bike,the suspension is archaic and the bias tires squirm......but its hell for fast.Trying to talk him into a 4-1 system to let the V-4 sing,but he's cheap and the V-Max systems are pricey.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol