Author Topic: Custom made frame sliders - great deal  (Read 10802 times)

Offline meehacker

• Board Regular!
Custom made frame sliders - great deal
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:57:18 PM »
If anyone is interested in frame sliders for your b400, then send an email to kevanw@sympatico.ca
I had Kevan make a pair for me, and they are brilliant.  Everything down to the packaging was top-notch. :bigok:
They fit perfectly and look great.
Hopefully I never need to test them, but knowing the potential damage the bandit suffers just from tipping over, I think it's well worth the 65 bucks plus shipping.

Take care, and thanks to magicGoose (Steve) for the recommendation.  Great folks.
Duane

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 11:56:05 PM »
excellent more aftermarket parts If he could make them longer i may be interested in a set.
cheers
jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:36:56 AM »
Just out of interest, what material is the main body made of?

I got a pair made up locally, and was told afterwards by someone else that they might crack if 'used' at speed, because the body was made from an inferior plastic. Fine for low speed drops, not for high speed.

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 08:37:39 AM »
Hi have you got any photo's of them on the bike?

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 01:20:59 AM »
I just put some on the other day too,same size and style,just white.

I chopped up some R1 aluminum slider mounts to fill in the little recess,then put the slider right on there.Worked great and cost little.
I thought about going longer too,but it would have looked goofy.I laid the bike over carefuly and it hit the slider before anything else.Nothing is garuanteed in a wreck,but its better than nothing at all.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »
Hey Duane,
Glad to hear you're happy with the sliders. :thumb:
Here's a picture of mine on my filthy bike:

I am told that the plastic they are made of is Delrin, and yes, they can be made to any length you like. Anyone interested can contact the maker directly at the email Duane gave, or I can pass on messages to him also.
Regards,
Steve
1991 B4

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 11:45:19 AM »
Double protection sliders and crash guards either your safest rider i know or a accident waiting to happen. LOL
cheers
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 12:20:20 PM »
Lol, yeah, probably closer to the latter than the former. Or maybe I'm just the most paranoid rider you know!
Wanna see some pictures of my belt-and-suspenders setup?
1991 B4

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 12:36:54 PM »
Hmm...I think I might order a set.
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 01:59:05 PM »
Hmm...I think I might order a set.

Me too!
What is the turn around time?

G

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 02:44:24 PM »
I've got some frame sliders similar to those. Sliders are definitely a good idea on the bandit with its exposed frame. Some bikes the tank sticks out further than the frame, not on the bandit - which makes the frame highly susceptible to being ground away if you drop it and it slides. I learned that the hard way and got my sliders after it'd happened, to stop further damage. Lucky it didn't wear too much off.

frame damage
slider and repaired frame

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 03:12:19 PM »
No imagine if your tank was bigger and was sliding along the pavement sparking till it ground a hole in the tank and KABOOM :stickpoke:  Sliding fire ball! LOL

Offline meehacker

• Board Regular!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 10:25:24 PM »
The turn around time was very fast  (7 business days from the time he had the material, but I supposewhere you are located may influence that).

And yes - the entire goal here is to save the vulnerable frame.  I accidentally tipped mine over while breaking the bike down for powdercoating and put a very slight dent in it (more of a flat spot that nobody would see, but I know it's there).  I also owned a bandit before this one that had a mangled frame tube on one side from an accident.  It was very hard to fix and hide entirely.  Hopefully the bike never goes down, especially with me on it, but I figure having the sliders on there would help a lot.

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 11:20:14 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
No imagine if your tank was bigger and was sliding along the pavement sparking till it ground a hole in the tank and KABOOM :stickpoke:  Sliding fire ball! LOL

I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking of the CB900 hornet and GSX1400, both of which it looks like the tank sticks out further than the frame/engine. I can't actually see where the frame is on those bikes.

Provided the tank didn't explode, you'd be better off with the tank getting damaged. Tanks are much easier and cheaper to repair or replace than a frame. With the damage to my frame, I'm worried my bike wouldn't pass a warrant of fitness (vehicles need them here to be allowed on the road)... so I bogged it and hid it as best I could...

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 12:31:19 AM »
Quote from: "erik"
I was thinking of the CB900 hornet and GSX1400, both of which it looks like the tank sticks out further than the frame/engine. I can't actually see where the frame is on those bikes.

Provided the tank didn't explode, you'd be better off with the tank getting damaged. Tanks are much easier and cheaper to repair or replace than a frame.

You're not meant to see the frame on the Hornet. ;)

The Tank is definitely further out than the majority of the engine. (Not my favorite pic of any bike btw.)

When one of these bikes goes down, you get rash on the exhaust, a shaved tail feather, a rashed engine case, and a dented tank.

I think you'd have to be travelling pretty fast to make the tank explode.  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? (in real life,... not like,.. "torque" or something.)
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works