Author Topic: Desperate for speedo cable  (Read 5837 times)

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
Desperate for speedo cable
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:52:17 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace a speedometer cable that got broken overnight by someone. it is for my 91 GSF400. A stock cable doesn't seem to work I have tried that. I have also tried to replace the entire gear drive on the forks and use a new cable. The cable that was broken has a square drive on one side and a tang drive on the other. It seems my shocks are too narrow to fit the new drive for some reason. It appears it is not stock.

If anyone has any ideas I would very much appreciate it...

Cheers!
91 Bandit GSF400VM Japan import

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Desperate for speedo cable
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:20:57 AM »
I wonder if the dual-discers use a different drive and cable?  You may have to source one from a boneyard overseas...   :banghead:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 12:57:25 PM »
What end broke off?

I know when I was in a pinch a couple of months ago because my cable broke, I simply silver-soldered it back together. The square end that goes into the wheel side had broken off so I pulled it from the drive, cleaned both ends well and soldered them back together.

I had ordered a new one but since the repaired one worked, I never bothered putting the new one in. This is over two years now.

-Randy

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:56:42 PM »
It got snapped half way up in the middle. The cable is bent and non functional. On top of that the tang post has been detached from the cable. It is all frayed and not fixable. Thanks for the input though.

Bone yard overseas? Really...  :annoy: Any word on how I find one of those?

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »
Go to the scrapper and compare your cable to that of an older katana... might be the same part.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:21:39 PM »
Go to the scrapper and compare your cable to that of an older katana... might be the same part.

Oh!  Good thought!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 11:48:31 PM »
Anyone out there that could take off their speedo cable on a dual front disk and see if it has a tang at the wheel and square drive at the gauge?

Sure would love to hear that I'm not the only one on the planet with one..... At least someone that knows of a part I can buy to fit and make it work...

Cheers!

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 02:00:28 AM »
FWIW, I blew the actual mechanical speedo drive at the wheel of my B4, and just had my local shop order another one. I can't see why you can just order a new cable. Am I missing something here?

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 02:52:55 AM »
FWIW, I blew the actual mechanical speedo drive at the wheel of my B4, and just had my local shop order another one. I can't see why you can just order a new cable. Am I missing something here?

I did buy a new speedo drive for the front shock as well as a new cable. The new cable would not fit into the speedo drive on my bike as it has a square drive into the odometer and a tang drive into the speedo drive. The different is a nut type connection at the drive.

On the stock part that I ordered, the drive end of the new cable had a washer pressure fit end and a square end into the odometer. All fine and dandy you would think if I just bought a new speedo drive right? NO!!! The new speedo drive that I bought will not fit on my dual front disk bike. I have the Japanese VV model which seems to be very slightly different.

That is why I was hoping that someone else with a dual front disk model could check their speedo box and tell me what type of cable or even the model number of the speedo drive. I would be more then happy to buy the right one but I've wasted money on the parts already once that I thought were the right ones...

So in short... I did that exactly but they didn't fit.  :grin:

And the saga continues...  :banghead:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »

I did buy a new speedo drive for the front shock as well as a new cable. The new cable would not fit into the speedo drive on my bike as it has a square drive into the odometer and a tang drive into the speedo drive. The different is a nut type connection at the drive.

On the stock part that I ordered, the drive end of the new cable had a washer pressure fit end and a square end into the odometer. All fine and dandy you would think if I just bought a new speedo drive right? NO!!! The new speedo drive that I bought will not fit on my dual front disk bike. I have the Japanese VV model which seems to be very slightly different.

That is why I was hoping that someone else with a dual front disk model could check their speedo box and tell me what type of cable or even the model number of the speedo drive. I would be more then happy to buy the right one but I've wasted money on the parts already once that I thought were the right ones...

So in short... I did that exactly but they didn't fit.  :grin:

And the saga continues...  :banghead:

Yeah Vid - you missed the fact that he has an imported, dual-disc version.  Like Mike said, check the fische on an older Kan-o-tuna or maybe a GS500....
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 05:18:57 PM »
The end of the cable on the Jap VV is as picture.

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 10:35:37 PM »
There's a couple of wreckers in BC that could pull one from a Katana and maybe match it up over the phone. The other thing you could do is get in touch with Terrycable or Motion Pro and have one custom made. It's actually not as expensive as you think.

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 04:28:43 AM »
My jap model 400 has the screw on end not the push in type. Do you need the screw on type?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 12:56:15 PM »
Ignore what i said about the cable the picture is single disc. Ive looked on my Jap Variable valve and its as you say. You can use a B6 cable.

This is a bandit600 cable and is one inch longer than the B4.

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 10:29:55 PM »
Ignore what i said about the cable the picture is single disc. Ive looked on my Jap Variable valve and its as you say. You can use a B6 cable.

This is a bandit600 cable and is one inch longer than the B4.

WHOA I lost internet for a bit... you guys rock!!! Thanks for the pictures! You are very correct it's not the push in type it's the B6 one. The tang looks a bit longer is that the part you say is 1" longer or is it the cable itself? Forgive the stupid question...  :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: