Author Topic: Does this look right?  (Read 7132 times)

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Does this look right?
« on: June 24, 2007, 03:53:38 PM »

The screwdriver is in the #1 cylinder, approx TDC.

I have rotated the whole assembly by hand, and by trying to start the engine a few times.  I'm going back through everything after a top end rebuild, and it wasn't starting.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Does this look right?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 06:20:54 PM »
Id say exhaust cam was one tooth to far anticlockwise.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Does this look right?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 06:35:58 PM »
the pin count looks right but the rest looks like the common mistake that we all have done mostly :

Always time from the exhaust cam first arrow flat with the head surface count your pins back to the intake . (the key part is that the exhaust cam arrow is flat with the head.)
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Does this look right?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 06:38:54 PM »
Quote from: "Banditmax"
Id say exhaust cam was one tooth to far anticlockwise.

in the whole picture that would make evrything off mate do to pin count
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Does this look right?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 12:22:43 AM »
Thanks Guys
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Does this look right?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 12:37:01 AM »
So, the manual isn't really clear on this.  When I re set the chain, do I want the journal caps in place (as in, in contact with the head), and not torqued, or do I want the cams to be able to be moved freely when I set the chain, and then tighten down the journal caps.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Does this look right?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 05:06:39 AM »
How i did it was line up the inlet cam with the head then clamped it down. then after that. I then counted the 20 pins and put the inlet cam in.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Does this look right?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 08:31:23 AM »
always start with the exhaust cause it the side with out the tensioner set cam set chain on cam make sure all slack is out of the front of the chain , if you have slack this is where you end up screwing up the timing cause after your done you have to rotate and then the slack gets taken up and your off some teeth , OK set exhaust tighten not torque the caps now count pins and set the intake bolt down intake cam caps ( i stick zip ties on my chain and around the sprockets once i have the timing set while i tighten the caps down so i can make sure the chain don't jump. then once you have looked it over and have the cam chain tensioner in place rotate 1/2 turn backwards you will hear the cam chain tensioner click rotate normal direction check you timing if all good torque cams to spec rotate again re check timing , and re check timing and re check timing. lol then button the rest of it up.
cheers
jay