Author Topic: dont flame me for asking but...  (Read 2788 times)

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
dont flame me for asking but...
« on: November 21, 2005, 07:54:22 PM »
ive got a way to get LOTS of 120 and 160 size tires locally and am wondering if this would be ok option with the 400s.   I know it nots the stock size but is there a problem if you match the front and rear in size increase? how much is the profile affected if these are "sport" type tires?

ive seen threads about 160s and 120s but never about both at the same time so figured it cant hurt to ask.

i know another newb question but the only way im learning is bc of guys like you! :thanks:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 12:27:01 AM »
To big but for comuting in the dry fine ! or no aggressive riding less contact patch all around! :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 12:36:48 PM »
anyone else have an opinoin? 54 reads and only one reply....seems like you guys are slacking :?:

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 01:00:16 PM »
Jay said everything there was to be said :beers:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 01:41:05 PM »
I've got no first hand knowledge of it but I'll play devil's advocate just for shits and giggles...  over the years (I'm fairly sure I've read every post in this forum since Sept '03), I know we've had members try both (not at the same time that I'm aware of, tho) and no one has come back to us and said that they had a hideous or awful experience.  In fact, I think most have come back and said that they really didn't notice much difference.  

Having said that, I have a lot of respect for what Jay has to say (so long as he's not lecturing on grammar or spelling).  If he says don't do it, I probably wouldn't.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 02:52:49 PM »
fair enough....i appreciate your help fellas...its kinda like the doctors...i just wanted a second opinion

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 03:10:00 PM »
When you move up a size in the width you kind of "squeeze" the tire up from the rim since it isn't also getting wider. Sometimes you can compensate by dropping the sidewall percentage to a 60, but then the tread will "creep" down further and you'll still have an odd profile. Better, but not ideal.

Will you notice? Who knows, what you will notice is new rubber. I went from dry-rotted tires with the front in entirely the wrong size (110/80/17) to primo rubber in the correct size and the change was dramatic. Would it have made a difference if I had upsized? Yes, I would have still had fresher rubber than the crap that was on there initially. Would it have mattered to me? Probably not since this was my first "fresh" set on the bike.

Tires are kind of a consumable good, it's not like they'll last forever and you're stuck with them. If you can score a screaming deal on them locally, give it a shot. In worst case scenario, you'll have to get a new set eventually anyway. YRMV, and since it's winter, why not just save the money since I doubt you'll be riding in Dec. in Kansas anyway.

-Randy

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 09:57:04 AM »
yeah im just starting to look now so i can get a good deal....we have actually had good weather around kansas and i rode up until about 6 days ago before i left for break...we finally got a good cold weather burst just now so im putting the bike up for the winter now....makes me sad