Author Topic: Finally got out on the track...  (Read 5330 times)

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Finally got out on the track...
« on: May 14, 2007, 09:41:56 PM »
And the B4 was a bit of a surprise.  More flickable that I'd thought (by a smidge) and Very well composed when I was dragging the exhaust... damn mid-corner bumps.  It Definatally needs a longer shock (my Fox started at 12", I've added just about another 1/2" and it needs more) to take full advantage of the rubber and handling.  Though I'm glad that I haven't gotten TOO rusty in the 7 years since I was last on the track.  Didn't push much though as I'd ridden 400 miles down to the track and had to rely on the bike to get home the following day.  Plus, a 'Stich just doesn't offer the same confidence as a set of well-fitting leathers.  The Avon Azarro's (a sport touring tire) had no issues with being run to the edge, even with the rear at 46psi hot..  :grin:  (they need high pressure, don't shed heat well and get greasy at Street speeds when you go much into the 30's).  I can't wait to get some cartridges into the forks and head back down there.  Next time with the bike on a trailer and leathers in the trunk so I can push a bit more.  A simple 1 mile go-kart track with 11 corners..  2nd gear the whole time (could have blipped into 3rd at points, but I wasn't looking for absolute fast, just fun in the corners).

Sure wish I had a closer track, and am enving those of you who do.  For the rest who haven't gotten the B4 onto a track, make the effort so you can Really see what the bike is capable of doing.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:24:00 AM »
I'm getting a 1-piece suit made so I can do just that. (I'm too tall and thin for off-the-shelf suits)

Last track day I did I was wearing my cordura gear and it got pretty munted when I fell off, so I want some leathers which will last a bit longer.

I haven't had any issues with the exhaust scraping since I changed to a gsxr1100 shock, but it did scrape when I first got the bike on the original shock. I haven't got it over far enough now to see if the pegs scrape before the tyres let go... I've got some cheap Avon commuting tyres, the rear says RoadRider.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 12:41:09 PM »
The exhaust scraping is solved by getting a stiffer front fork. If it's solved by raising the rear, it's raised way too much :wink:

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Yup, front forks are stock outside of the oil and fork seals (as best as I can tell) and they show it.  They really Aren't all that bad for damper rod forks, the damping is pretty good and matched well to the spring rate.  Just way to soft for me at 260lbs, and I already have a plan for upgrading.  Just shopping for a price I find acceptable.

I didn't have issues anywhere but the one corner, when there suspension was loaded AND there was a nasty mid-corner bump (expansion crack that went the whole way across the track surface).
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »
Well, there's one more advantage of having stiff suspension. The exhaust will then function as a, say 'crash-catcher', same goes for the jiffy mount on the left. Like today, I lost grip in a wet left corner, it hit the jiffy mount and came right back :motorsmile:

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 05:12:10 PM »
Quote from: "Herr Tod"
The exhaust scraping is solved by getting a stiffer front fork. If it's solved by raising the rear, it's raised way too much :wink:

I've changed the springs and increased the preload in the front as well, but I'm pretty sure it was mostly the rear shock that stopped the exhaust from scraping. The gsxr shock is slightly longer and also has enough preload available that the laden sag can be set to 30% on the rear, with the standard shock it was about 60% iirc.

Surely it'd only be raised too much if the suspension started binding or the chain got too loose. Even with it raised like it is, and the forks dropped slightly in the tripple clamps, I think the steering isn't as neutral as it could be.

I don't know why you say it's raised too much.

Quote from: "BrianM"
I didn't have issues anywhere but the one corner, when there suspension was loaded AND there was a nasty mid-corner bump (expansion crack that went the whole way across the track surface).

To be honest, the only place I had the exhaust bottom out was on a corner with a bump in the middle as well... ;)

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 05:36:55 PM »
Quote from: "erik"
To be honest, the only place I had the exhaust bottom out was on a corner with a bump in the middle as well... ;)

Maybe lean the bike some more, you'll hit it on even pavement as well. Or do you lean next to the bike extremely? That might explain as well.

When I ran my '02 GSXR shock it was raised too much, although the exhaust scraping got less, the front fork felt more elastic too. Now it's raised because of the shorter swingarm with a stock length shock. I'm thinking of raising the bike again and see how it turns out now, with the USD fork.

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 05:59:30 PM »
Quote from: "erik"
I'm getting a 1-piece suit made so I can do just that. (I'm too tall and thin for off-the-shelf suits)

Who's making your suit? You coming to Taupo in November?

I've never had a problem with the stock supension setup, and I'm not small. I'm either just lucky enough to have it more or less set up right for me, or I'm riding like a nana.

Having said that - Does anyone get right over onto the edge of the tyres? I've worn the chicken strips down to 3-4mm, but I'm not quite over on the very edge. Scraped the pegs a couple of times last track day, but.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 06:17:33 PM »
Quote from: "El Dopa"

Having said that - Does anyone get right over onto the edge of the tyres? I've worn the chicken strips down to 3-4mm, but I'm not quite over on the very edge. Scraped the pegs a couple of times last track day, but.

Absolutly....  never touched a peg doing it either.  There's still a bit of useable front tire, which will be resolved by leghtening the rear ride height (raising the tail) and I may drop the front a Touch too...  though I vastly prefer going up in the back over going down in the front.

Dragging pegs while leaving some of the rear (especially, that's easy to run out to the edge) could be to 2 different issues with stock suspension.  Either you're getting so close to bottom that you're dragging stuff before using up the rear, or you just plain don't have the confidence to toss it into the corner because the suspension doesn't allow the confidence (i.e. riding like a nana :P )
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
Which tires are you running? For instance, a BT45 x-ply tire doesn't require a big lean angle to get rounded. Radial tires are usually much pointier. Most of the time I have Pilot Power, 2CT front at the moment and a normal rear one as the 2CT 160/60 is in backorder, so that's my personal 'standard'. They are rather pointy, but nothing compared to SuperCorsa, those require, lets say 55+ degrees to get rounded :shock:

I've posted a pic of my last, worn out, tire set somewhere

Front is round, and then some :lol: The rear stays behind, this was a 150/60, the 160/60 on a 4.5 inch rim I have now looks like it's wearing better. Can't tell yet, it's brand new and it's not too warm outside lately.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 06:37:18 PM »

I get to the edge of my tires. I have the front end lowered 12mm. The front end is an old GSXR fully adjustable.
But I would still like to get the back end of the bike up a little more than my Fox shock will allow so I'm having shorter dog bones made. Shorter by 10mm. I will see how that make the bike handle.
It handles very well now but I still drag a peg on some corners and my toe sliders are taking a beating.

G

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 09:49:20 PM »
can anyone tell me how long the dog bones arte i have a bunch lying around may be able to help someone out
cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 12:15:40 AM »
Stock bones: 198.5mm eye-to-eye

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »
opps! all i have is 138mm
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 01:51:17 PM »
Quote from: "Garyola"
I get to the edge of my tires.

When I had your old track tires on -- I had more then one person say "You must ride the hell out of that thing..."  wanna de-chicken my new tires???
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.