Author Topic: Finally got out on the track...  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
Finally got out on the track...
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 03:54:20 PM »
Quote from: "interfuse"
Quote from: "Garyola"
I get to the edge of my tires.

When I had your old track tires on -- I had more then one person say "You must ride the hell out of that thing..."  wanna de-chicken my new tires???

I think you should get your ass out to the track and de-chicken them on your own.  :stickpoke:   :grin:
Sign up for the Fast school. Beware . . . the track becomes very addictive.    :grin:

G

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 12:39:27 AM »
Quote from: "Garyola"
I think you should get your ass out to the track and de-chicken them on your own.  :stickpoke:   :grin:

Maybe in a few years... I gotta wait until funds allow for a second bike, trailer, truck and leathers...  okay maybe next decade... or two.

For now I'll have to go hit some on ramps and try not to get any tickets.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 10:31:22 AM »

Maybe in a few years... I gotta wait until funds allow for a second bike, trailer, truck and leathers...  okay maybe next decade... or two.

For now I'll have to go hit some on ramps and try not to get any tickets.

Why?  I rode my B4 (only bike) 400 miles down to Denver, CO to visit with some friends.  We hit the track (me in my touring suit, an Aerostich) and had tons of fun.  

Just because you're going to the track, does *NOT* mean you Have to push 10/10ths or even 9/10ths.  I rode at a solid 8/10s (with the exception of the first time I scraped the exhaust and lost traction, that was a 10/10ths), ran the tire right out to the edge and started gumming it up a touch.  Never even got out of 2nd gear.

Unless you're going Racing, you don't need all that stuff you mentioned.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline del la sol

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 12:03:28 PM »
I agree, first many times I went to the track it was on my street bike.  You only have to push as hard as you want.  What I always thought was funny, and not picking on you, but was people that say they can't do a track day because its their street bike, but yet they ride super aggressive on the street where its much much more dangerous to ride 6/10ths, than it is to ride 9/10ths on the track.  If your a decent rider you can ride faster than you've ever ridden and have a good time, on the track, and still not be anywhere near in danger of crashing.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »
These guys are correct. I just bought an old beat up van to load my bike in and it takes all my gear and I can sleep in it.
I'm on a low budget for my race team of one. It doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg to get out there an turn some laps and have some fun learning.
I look forward to seeing out there sometime.

G

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 04:52:21 PM »
I'll look into it. I was pretty sure around here you needed full leathers to hit the track and that alone is out of my budget right now.

Last year I was looking into the fast school. I figured going and renting a bike would be easier then prepping my street bike for the track. But then again I thought track officals were nazi's about stuff like glass, coolant and belly pans... I might be wrong.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 06:14:28 PM »
I'll look into it. I was pretty sure around here you needed full leathers to hit the track and that alone is out of my budget right now.

Last year I was looking into the fast school. I figured going and renting a bike would be easier then prepping my street bike for the track. But then again I thought track officals were nazi's about stuff like glass, coolant and belly pans... I might be wrong.

For most track days

All lights taped up (best to pull the fuse also so tape doesn't bake on) and mirrors off.
Side stand tied up on some tracks.
Oil drain plug wired.
No coolant. Water and water wetter only
Tires must be in good shape.
Leathers have to be at least two piece with a full zipper.

That should get you on the track at a track day in the
beginner group.

You can buy used leathers pretty cheap if you look around.

The whole thing takes some effort to get into and can be a little daunting at first but it soon gets to be run of the mill stuff.

G

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 06:55:18 PM »

All depends on the track and organizer.  The last track day I went to had no real requirements (my oil drain is safety-wired, but I'm running a 40:60 glycol:water mix for coolant, left the mirrors on and headlight untaped), it was more or less a "Police your own" type place and seemed to be working Very well.  There were no run-down bikes there, most people were running their street bikes that they rode to the track and all was good.  They did have a requirement of a 1-piece riding suit, but it didn't have to be leathers.

Then I've been to some track days that were as strict in requirements as normal roadracing.  Actually, MORE strict for the A and B groups (racers and fast guys) in they required an expert race license to get into the A group, and a roadrace license to get into the B group.  

But just call the organizer and see what their requirements are.  A large number of the guys down here in the States have a limited number of leathers for rent, and will assist with prepping the bike at the track the morning of the event.  Heck, I've volunteered to help some newbies prep their bikes at the track before and will probably do it again if I ever get close to a real track again.

Anyway, don't discount being able to afford the track till you do the homework.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 10:53:54 PM »
Yeah - the only thing I really did to track my B4 was tape the lights, remove mirrors and take off the plate.  That's acceptable for the entry level of most of the orgs I know of.  If you have something capable of pulling a trailer, you can rent a little 4x6 from Uhaul for like $25/day here in the US.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 12:52:34 AM »
Hi my name is Jay :bigok: and im here today because :stickpoke:  im addicted to racing :shock:  or for that matter just riding on a real track  :clap: the aroma of the fuel  :lol: the smell of the shredding rubber :congrats: . To me there is nothing more safe than being on a track racing or doing track days :duh: . there is always plenty of people to make you feel at home :motorsmile:  and a ambulance near by :wink: , you never have to worry about if Elie fustacoo  :roll:  in Amish country will see out in his field that the cows seem to keep licking something :stop:  and there is a smoldering pile of something out yonder :sad: . Corner workers and control riders do there jobs 99.9% of the time to its fullest. doing a track day will make you or anyone a better rider.  :congrats:
Have a good job if your going to race or you can be part time like me old arse lol.
AMA wera grand national at mid Ohio sports car course is where im heading in august.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol