Author Topic: Fix it or part it out?  (Read 10656 times)

Offline Jmc1124

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Fix it or part it out?
« on: March 27, 2017, 10:51:49 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I have not been on this forum in a looooong time. I am hoping you can help me. I have a 92 400 that has literally been sitting for 12 ish years. The last I touched it was removing and rebuilding the carbs. The tank is rusted, as is the tank from my parts bike. Additionally I do not know were the headlight and housing is currently as it was removed to replace the ignition switch way back then.... SHAME ON ME I KNOW.

I would also like to point out I got the bike for little to no money originally and it never quite ran right. I am an a new rider even today since I lost interest in the original project way back then. so....

my conundrum is this, I m now interested in riding once again. Do I start the long journey of fixing her up or part her out and buy something in running condition to get my learning on? I was all for fixing her up and I've been playing with the idea of a café style during a rebuild, but the factory parts availability and aftermarket part availability and costs are somewhat concerning.

Thanks for your feedback!

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Fix it or part it out?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »
If rusted tank, missing headlight assembly and clogged carbs are your only problem then I think you should at least try to make it running. Once you know that the engine runs you can do whatever you decide. Either fix the rust in tank and mount original light or go to caffe.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A