Author Topic: For anyone wanting to fit luggage to their B4 - Givi Wingrack fitting kits!  (Read 8629 times)

Offline T2098

• TURBO TYPER!
I had to search for quite some time, as nobody in North America had or could get any, but it looks like there are some Givi Y306 wingrack fitting kits for the B4 still available in Europe!

I ordered mine from the Czech Republic, and although there was 6 weeks of silence after I placed my order, after the 6 weeks they actually e-mailed me a tracking number, and sure enough, a few weeks after my kit arrived in Canada!  Amusingly, the box says "Yamaha" on the side - looks like Givi failed at printing the labels for them, but the contents were correct.

Note that this is JUST the bandit-specific fitting kit, you'll have to supply your own Wingrack (or Wingrack II like I used) - these are readily available in the used market or even new still.   Bandit is now ready for touring with 3 Monokey hard-case mounts!

I got mine from RDMoto, and with the Czech Krona being pretty weak right now, it ended up being quite cheap - with shipping to Canada, only ~1400 Krona, or $56usd shipped!  Within the EU I'm sure shipping would be cheaper.

http://www.rdmoto.eu/cs/product/421/31307

Pics fitted to the bike, along with some closeups of how it all fits together for if someone ever finds a used one and has trouble fitting it.   I swore at mine for a while until I figured out how it all went together (further compounded by the fact that the Wingrack unit was used and missing a few fasteners)

Note - the Y306 fitting kit INCLUDES the optional Givi Y100 universal 'bridge' kit which ties the bottom of the two wingrack sideplates together.  I would have no qualms about sitting on the rear rack or hoisting the bike in the air with it.  It's that strong.  It's tough to see from my pics, but it's a huge steel bar that goes underneath my license plate holder.  It's the shiny bits bolted to the very bottom of the black wingrack side plates.

Normally it's ~$40-50usd alone, and I barely paid that for the entire Y306 and Y100 kit together (brand new!) It claims it's only needed if you're not using a top plate, but I installed it anyway.  Nice to know it'll still be bulletproof even if I pull the top plate off, which takes like 30 seconds and is only 4 allen head cap screws anyway.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/GIVI-Universal-Wingrack-Bridge__GIVI-Y100.aspx

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 04:57:39 PM by T2098 »

Offline T2098

• TURBO TYPER!
My Kappa K22n side cases finally came in, and they fit beautifully - I love the way they look on the bike, and I think my 'daily' commuting setup will just have the side cases without the K48N top case.  Even still, it looks quite good with the top case on, and will be my long distance tourer this summer!

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
Same shop still seems to hold Monorack F universal kit which should be mountable to 91 Bandit for single case usage. But I've read that plastic monokey plate M3 is not rigid enough in this setup and bags fly away time to time. So I'd prefer to go with aluminium M35 case which seems no to be compatible with F monoracks and needs FL monoracks. What I cannot get to is why exactly M3 is monorack F compatible and M35 is not if both seem to have identical shape and both are shipped with identical mounting accessories.

Thus the question is what is the exact difference between monorack F and FL "mounts" which should prevent me from mounting M35 plate to monorack F rails? What will break?

Three cases are just too much for my purposes for now.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline bdouvill

• Everybody
  • Board Homesteader!
Hello T2098,

I liked your post and tried to go this way. Hepco and Becker is far more expensive if you want both top and side cases. I found a Wingrack II for only 57 euros that I am about to receive this week but failed to get the Y306 Bandit 400 mounting kit :-( I ordered one from the link you indicated but they ran out of stock. I emailed 2 companies in New Zealand that reference this kit but I got no answer yet: they might be still celebrating their victory in Rugby World Cup last Saturday ;-)

I am thinking that maybe I could built a mouting kit by myself (not too sure how). Do you still have the kit mouting instruction? I believe a quality screenshot could help to figure how the different pieces of the kit look like (I don't want to ask you to remove it from your motorcycle, I'll try to figure out with the pictures you already posted).

Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards.

Benoit.
Benoit.
Bandit 400 1992, 1st bike.

Offline bdouvill

• Everybody
  • Board Homesteader!
Or maybe I can try using Givi Y127 Universal Fitting Kit for N140 N141:
http://www.ashop.me/p/9072071/givi-y127-universal-fitting-kit-for-n140-n141.html
Benoit.

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
At nearly the same time as my last post here in this thread I filled a query at Givi's site to do some recommendation about how to fit some luggage to B4. They didn't say quack since then.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline bdouvill

• Everybody
  • Board Homesteader!
Finally, one of the 2 New Zealand companies I previously emailed answered. They had apparently one Y306 item left in stock. So I ordered. Good news is price was around 60€, bad news was cheapeast delivery option to France was 80€ :-( but I ordered it anyway. Second bad news is that delivery company in France collected tax (18.5€) + the usual 20.5€ they take to collect this customs tax... In the end, this kit cost me a lot... Hopefully, I got a used Wingrack 2 with turn signals (that I removed) for less than 60€ (brand new is at least 185€).

Kit has been opened by the seller because I scanned the mounting instructions so I could be sure it really was what I was looking for. Except that, was like new. But another source of disapointment was the quality: the left and right parts were slightly different, some are made with 2 metallic parts soldered together, alignment different from left to right so fitting was not 100% easy. Another problem, the main part that has 2 threaded holes for 2 bolts that goes through the Wingrack are not aligned with Wingrack holes neither on the left nor the right (the left part of the kit was so bent it was visible by eye, but to thick so I can bent it back...).

All in all, I was able to mount the rack but I have 2 missing bolts, one on each side. I still have 4 on each side hopefully and it seems tough enough. Next step is to find the top case. I'd like to go for the Trekker 52L but it's hard to find a used one (it's recent on the market) or I see what I can find where 2 helmets can fit.

I try to take some pictures during Christmas holidays to post here.
Benoit.