Author Topic: Getting it closer . . . . .  (Read 8167 times)

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
Getting it closer . . . . .
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:15:36 PM »
 . . . . to getting on the track. I know, I know, it's very late in the season already. But my life has gotten in the way of my racing. With a little help from Jay and some hard work and way too much $$$, the 89' GSXR400R race project is getting closer.
The motor is out of my B4 racer until I can get the GSXR motor worked on ( it's in bits and I may have to wait until next winter). This should be track ready by next week. It needs a bird cage, coils, the frame sliders put on and tune up. It's going on the dyno this week for a tuneup, if all goes according to plan. I could use a race tail section and paint job but that may have to wait until I get this thing sorted.

G

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Getting it closer . . . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:56:24 PM »
Man, that looks awesome.  Makes me want to go out and find one to build up.  I'll bet that thing is gonna be a BLAST.   :clap:
Hey Bandit.. whaddya say we bury the hatchet....... in your Tank!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:26:13 PM »
Wow Gary, where did that thing come from?

I've always wanted one since I got the Bandit just for the frame and swinger. Like what the Bandit should have been in the first place: factory streetfighter.

Nice, looking forward to seeing what you do with it?

Wanna sell your Bandit rearsets???

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:52:44 AM »
It was in a garage for a few years just getting banged up(see the marks on the fairing). It was someone who knew someone kinda thing. Bought the  bike in January and stripped it down to the frame. All new bearings in the chassis and anything that doesn't make it run and roll was taken off. I have a couple of boxes of stuff that is going for sale or in the bin. Carbs, dual exhaust etc, etc.
I will check into the rear sets for the B4 but I think I've used most of the stuff for these controls. Give me some time and I'll list what I have for sale.

G

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:19:45 PM »
Hi gary,
Looks very nice. :clap: Have you compared the two bikes seeing as the B4 you raced was almost the same bar for the frame, is the gsxr much of an improvement? I raced a 73 when they first came over to the Uk but could never get a proper race faring back then. While the motors apart it could be worth converting to the gk76 shim style valve adjustment, its a bit lighter and only uses one valve spring, could help give a little extra.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:53:18 AM »
Hi Chris
I haven't had time to compare much yet because it has turned a wheel in anger. I'm hoping to get on the track in the next few weeks and I will let you know. From the riding position and measurements I find the bike to be smaller than the B4, the reach closer. there is more ground clearance than the B4 and the pegs are higher on the frame. Oh and the whole thing is much lighter.
I will considerer the valve adjustment conversion over next winter. Thanks for that info. I think I will be spending a lot of time on the heads. When it's ready to go for next April, I would like it to be a monster 400.
I should have this thing ready for a race or two in July and a few trackdays.

G

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 02:09:36 PM »
By monster 400, are you talking a larger than 400cc bike or just a high power 400cc?

Just curious.

Bike looks great!
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 07:59:18 PM »
I'm looking for hi-power.  :grin:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 04:03:19 PM »
76 head works but then you have third motor mount so the 73's motor would be hanging in the two rear bolts seems to much stress... and the 76 has issues which require better springs and stainless valves do to float at high revs.  Bigger carbs bigger valves better springs and milled to what it can take or get a bigger piston kit. 

Gary the fuel valve has to go or you will starve for fuel...sorry
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 05:14:15 PM »
Hi Jay,
Ment 73 head with 76 parts. You think they got a problem with float at the top end? have you found the 73 better on your race bike. Im just building a motor to go in a bandit for the track at the mo and have gone that way, you think 73 better as ive got B4,73 and 76 motors to work from. The 76 is simpler and thats how i like to keep it on the track but all roads are worth a look.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 05:15:34 PM »
Gary the fuel valve has to go or you will starve for fuel...sorry

What are you sorry for? :stickpoke:

Ok it's gone. I have my pringle.

G

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 06:20:04 PM »
Chris, 76 head parts do not fit on a 73 or b4 the valve stems on a 76 are like the size of #2 pencil lead in thickness the cams are wider so they dont fit. I bought a motor once had it shipped for the same purpose to find out i could use the motor innards minus head. I had shipped over a boat anchor when it was said and done.

Right on G
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 03:05:45 PM »
 :clap:

Looks like fun. I love your race projects!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 04:26:57 PM »
Jay i know the feeling! we always find out after the money,s been spent, the 76A head would make a good flower pot :duh:
Keep us up to date with the motor Gary as any work is relavent to the B4.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 04:42:13 PM »
Hi Gary, Hope the Gixer is going well, is the rear wheel an SV with straight spokes? if so are the standard spacers and 73A caliper a straight fit as ive just picked up another SP braced swinger for my track B4 and am thinking of going this way.

JAY, Carnt find the post but remember you saying that no .4mm oversize pistons were available in the USA, spoke to my local Suzi dealer and they say the numbers are listed as available at £74 + 15% vat for the piston and £33 + 15% vat for the ring set.
Chris.