Author Topic: Getting it closer . . . . .  (Read 8170 times)

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
Re: Getting it closer . . . . .
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 05:49:53 PM »
Hi Gary, Hope the Gixer is going well, is the rear wheel an SV with straight spokes? if so are the standard spacers and 73A caliper a straight fit as ive just picked up another SP braced swinger for my track B4 and am thinking of going this way.

Ok there is more work to it than you think.Yes the wheel with the straight spokes. You will need new spacers. Get a rear disc water cut to match the diameter of the old disc. You will need to take about 6mm, if I recall,(you will have to make measurements), off your cush drive so the wheel will be centred(the whole unit is too large to be centred properly). and cut the bolts down a bit so they don't hit the swing arm. You will need to possibly change the bearings to match the axle you are going to use. Use the gsxr axle if you can. Most of this is easy to do. It's just a pain in the butt to do it all.

My bike is doing great except I can't get the cdi box to fire it. I have 3 of the bastards and none work properly. So I have them at an electronics wizard who is rebuilding them.
I have the B4 motor in this bike. The GSXR400 motor is going to be rebuilt over this winter so I have a spare and I have cdi's for that motor that are supposed to work. We'll see. If this guy does a good job with the Bandit cdi I will get him to give the GSXR CDIs the once over.

G

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 06:35:46 PM »
Wow Gary i will stick with the 4.5inch gsxr4 wheels that run 160's at the rear, thought that the straight spoke may save a little weight and be a tad stiffer.
Are you running the B4 cdi with the B4 motor? and is the cdi off that motor as B4's from different years have different triggers on the engine and will only run with the correct trigger/cdi combination. You could also slot the holes on the pick up and you can get a couple of degree advance by moving it as far as it will go which does help things alittle.
Cheers Chris.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/David56/bandit%20400/P1010062-1.jpg
Found the picture showing the differences.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:40:35 PM by Chris H »

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 07:26:13 PM »
Wow Gary i will stick with the 4.5inch gsxr4 wheels that run 160's at the rear, thought that the straight spoke may save a little weight and be a tad stiffer.
Are you running the B4 cdi with the B4 motor? and is the cdi off that motor as B4's from different years have different triggers on the engine and will only run with the correct trigger/cdi combination. You could also slot the holes on the pick up and you can get a couple of degree advance by moving it as far as it will go which does help things alittle.
Cheers Chris.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/David56/bandit%20400/P1010062-1.jpg
Found the picture showing the differences.

Hi Chris,
I have the correct part # on the CDIs for the 93. It's just that the damn things aren't giving any spark. One was intermittent. I bought one of those de-restricted ones off of ebay and it gives spark but the timing was all wrong.

Thanks for the photo. I will bank that.

I run the 165 Dunlop Slicks so I need the SV rims to get the tire profile correct. I may give those Dunlop DOT N-Tech tires a go this summer. We'll see.  Get bike running 1st before I need tires.

G

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 06:26:42 PM »
Thinking the derestricted cdi may need the trigger from the earlier bike, would be worth looking if the gsxr one is different as the firing at the wrong time is bang on wot the wrong triggers give.
We dont get the slicks in 400 class over here altho i get some used that can be lightly cut for some open day practice.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 07:18:15 PM »
How would one go about getting triggers?    :trustme:  :motorsmile:

Is the cam setup different with different tiggers?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 05:45:04 PM »
Hi Gary,
Was thinkin you could could take a look in the Gixer motor. In the uk plenty of people swop out there B4 motor and always say bike fires but pops and dont run, they swop the old trigger over and 9 times out of ten the bikes spot on so i'd have to say the cam timing is the same for early/late models and only the trigger/cdi timimg. Ive never had a B4 later than a 91 so have not been able to compare, Banditmax may know as he told the guy who posted the pictures to swop.
Chris.
Just had a good look at the picture and you can see that the 'T' mark is in the same place.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 05:47:10 PM by Chris H »

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »
the pick ups are the same but the rotor part is different there is a noticable difference
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Hi,
Anymore work on the motor gary? Ive been talking to a guy who's mate raced a gsxr in the Isle of man TT in the nineties and he thinks they ran a cbr600 camshaft! Have you ever heard of this mod before.
Jay?

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »
Never heard of the cbr 600 mod.

I'm waiting on a new cdi box. It's on backorder so nothing new to report. If this new cdi box doesn't  make this thing run, I'll be parting the whole lot out. It's starting to get on my tits.

G

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 08:41:01 PM »
No way!
Stay with it. Do you want me to send you one of the other triggers over to try?
Is it the B4 motor thats not running or the Gixer?
I think the cbr cam was in the gk76A as he raced the Isle of man TT in 96 on the bike.
Just building my spare B4 for the track and have picked up some mikuni tmr's to go on it. motor is ok and working on the frame at mo, fitting SV650 race seat tomorra so as to be ready for paint asap.
Chris.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 09:50:43 AM »
Ok So I stayed with it all.
The beast lives and is looking good. Runs rough right now but is going in later this week to get the carbs set up and will be on the track this month and raced the 1st of next. I will post photos and hopefully video of the events as they get completed.
It needs a paint job and new tires and we are a go.
On a side note, I put a bunch of money down on a TZ250 Gp racer. The guy I'm buying it from raced in the AMA Gp series and was one of a few privateers to get on the podium. It is a $100,000 bike in it's day and I'm getting it for $15,000. The front end is a factory GP OLINS right from the Factory 250 Gp team. It cost him $35,000 for it. I can't wait to get this baby going. It will be a while before I get my mitts on it. I still have lots to pay on it. But he is a friend so he is in no hurry . . . . . . I am.

G

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 10:32:57 AM »
Nice to hear you got it going. Did you find the aftermarket cdi only runs with a certain trigger? I heard the 1993 on dont go! You guys run slick tyres, right.
Just spent the week trying to get my VVC to run right as it keeps eatin reg/rec's- 2 in a week. I got the mechanical side of the engine running sweet as a nut with a rejet- 40 pilots and 112 mains and now it pulls like a 600. Im going to get it on the dyno soon so will video it and stick it on youtube.
Good luck with the racing!!!!
Chris.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 10:42:07 AM »
Yep! it was trigger issues. I got the cdi and the correct trigger going. Using all 91 stuff. I had a friend of mine rebuilt  a cdi and it works great. So now I'm having him fix and replace parts in all of my black boxes.
Yes we are racing slicks. I use the Dunlops. I look forward to seeing how you machine goes.

G

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »
G -- sweet purchase. Can't wait to hear more about it.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 09:10:36 AM »
Gary, what Donlpos do you use? got friend thats interested in using some but is unsure of the type as he's been told that they are for the more powwerfull gp machines. You had any problems keeping heat in them?
Chris.