Author Topic: Painting the frame, wheels and bodywork  (Read 2291 times)

Offline waruta

• Board Regular!
Painting the frame, wheels and bodywork
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:27:15 AM »
Finally got started on the Bandit 250/GSXR/RGV Project, just haven't named it yet :)

I was wondering about any paint schemes that people had; I have seen someone post up somewhere a blank/white outline of the bandit to use in photoshop as a guide, but can't find it again.

I do have a preference for black, whether it be gloss or matte (current big bike is all matte black) but fingerprints are an issue :(  Since the project involves switching out the front forks to a '92 RGV SP USD forks, rear Banana swingarm and carbs from a GSXR-250R as well as various carbon parts and Coerce rearsets, I'm having issues matching the colors up.

I really thought about either sanding down the frame to bare metal and clearcoating it to match a Titanium finish, but don't know what the welds look like, nor what the frame looks like bare. On the other hand, if all the parts were black or muted colors, I was thinking of going with a neon yellow frame to show off the trellis-like angles and keep everything else black.

My buddy that's helping (2 stroke racer) suggested that I paint the RGV wheels but sand the outer ring and polish the aluminium there only as it's too hard to keep the entire rim polished or prevent it from oxidizing.

Currently, the parts and their colors are as follows:

RGV rims F+R = Dirty white, need stripping down
RGV SP Forks = Matte Anodized Gold with silver/chrome sliders
Banana Swingarm = Polished Aluminium
Frame + Bodywork = Original Green
Rear Sets = Natural Aluminium

Everything else is the standard color on the original bandit.  Any suggestions on a mean-looking color scheme?

Regards,

W.

Offline trev69

• Board Regular!
Re: Painting the frame, wheels and bodywork
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:15:47 PM »
sounds like a nice project. im painting my b4 frame yellow with black on everything else. combos of satin and matt black. i saw the blank pic you speak of but also cannot find it now so im just gonna crack on with it. sorry, no pics but sure to post some when im done

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Painting the frame, wheels and bodywork
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:44:53 PM »
Here's the thread you're looking for...

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=13055.0
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.