Author Topic: powder coating / polishing?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline yoda

• TURBO TYPER!
powder coating / polishing?
« on: May 05, 2007, 05:37:53 PM »
Just wondered if anybody else has powder coated wheels? The previous owner of my bike has had the wheels and swingarm done in silver, which goes well with the black bike.

Thing is I fancy polishing the rims, but I don't know how the powder coat will react to polishing cutters / wheels etc. I don't know if it will look frayed or tatty. any takers?
smaller is better

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 06:31:11 PM »
My GSXR front and B4 rear wheels are currently at the powdercoater,getting a fresh dusting of white.
Its pretty tough stuff,I had my RX-7's rollcage done a couple years ago,and its not easy to ding or scratch.Clean up is super easy since powdercoat is smooth,like laquer.Keeping the brake dust off my white wheels should be a breeze now.
PC is thicker than anodizing or most paints,and its quite hard,so there would likely be some damage left behind if you tried to grind it away for polishing a portion of the wheel,like the lip.If your gonna strip it all away,then media blasting is probably the best method.Thats how PC companies prep parts before the process.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 07:05:33 PM »
It is very hard to remove powdercoating once its on there you better off getting a powdercoating company to remove it all then only powder coat the bits you want powdercoated.

Offline yoda

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 04:13:26 PM »
thanks guys, sounds like it might be easier to blas it all back, or get some second hand to try it on.
smaller is better

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:51:40 PM »
There are posts in some of the other BA forums on polishing.  The aircraft paint remover you can get at an auto parts store will lift the original p/c.  Don't see why it wouldn't on aftermarket.  The stuff does work.  Usining it, I took the silver p/c or paint on the B4's rearsets and polished them.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:25:15 AM »
Oh yea,that stuff is nasty.
Ive also used MRO graffiti remover which looks,smells and feels just like that aircraft coating remover.You can feel it eating away at your skin, if you get hit with any overspray.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!