Author Topic: Hello, B4 newbie here  (Read 3156 times)

Offline del la sol

• TURBO TYPER!
Hello, B4 newbie here
« on: May 09, 2007, 12:49:57 AM »
Hey guys, my name is Bret, new baby bandit owner.  Been riding for a few years, started out on an f3, fairly quickly worked my way up to a 1000 and thought I guess because of popular opinion that big bikes were the natural thing to ride once you got experienced, but after a year or two on them I started to realize I just wasn't enjoying riding at all, I thought maybe it was just getting old or something.  I would wake up, look at my brand new 1000 and just dreaded the thought of having to ride it, there was obviously something very wrong about the situation.  Having 170hp at your disposal and legally and sanely only being able to use 50 of it just bored me to tears.  I quit street riding because of this and started only riding on the track with my gsxr 600 for a year.  Then a Yamaha zuma, 50cc on/off road scooter fell into my lap and riding it made me realize the fun in riding something underpowered, it wasn't riding on the street that was the problem, it was riding a 190 mph race bike on the street that was.  Since then I've been searching for something that I can actually use closer to its potential without ending up in jail or the hospital and happened upon a 91' bandit 400 for sale locally, missed out on it by a day and was kicking myself for months over it.  Well last friday I sold my 600 and started browsing for bikes when what do I happen upon but the very same bandit 400 for sale again, I called the guy selling, he wasn't even really sure he wanted to sell it so after 45 minutes of convincing him he needed to sell it to me, and destroying any chance I had for haggling on the price in the process, he agreed to sell it and I picked it up Sunday night.  Right away riding it brought back all of the fun that I hadn't felt for years from riding on the street.  And at the local bike night it got more attention from people than all of my past modern "cool" sport bikes combined, and more importantly it got attention from the people whose opinion about bikes really matters to me.  So anyways I'm just thrilled to death with my little bandit and had to share my story and introduce myself because I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions in the future.

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
Hello, B4 newbie here
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 01:14:11 AM »
Holy carp.....its back!

Heh,heh......although Im fairly newbish here myself,I do know that I recognize that bike,as does nearly everyone else here.I guess when there are so few of our mounts out there,the unique ones never really go away.

Great story BTW.
I had a similar experience this year when I got my B4.My FZR1000 just wasnt getting the day to day milage that it used to,and I dreaded riding my Virago anymore.Once I got the Bandit and started having some fun again,it got me back into the habit of riding regularly.Its just an entertaining,manageable little bike that begs to be thrown around.Kinda reminds me of my teenage years,cutting my street teeth on that old Cafe' style CL175 that I got from my grandpa.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Hello, B4 newbie here
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 08:51:40 AM »
Yep. Nice bike! The guy who modded that bike was on here for a bit.

Here are some posts about it.

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?p=63625&highlight=#63625

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?p=62807&highlight=#62807
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Hello, B4 newbie here
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 02:07:24 PM »
LOL  :welcome:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Hello, B4 newbie here
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 10:17:44 PM »
Yeah  :welcome: !  Great story.  Love that bike.  You ought to get that thing out on the track!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Hello, B4 newbie here
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 01:47:58 AM »
Bret, nice ride.
Do you have a close up picture of how the clip ons clear the head light bracket and do you know who made them?  (the clip ons)
I've got some old Two Brothers Racing Clipons but they interfere with the gauges as well as the head light bracket.
Thanks,
Duane

Offline del la sol

• TURBO TYPER!
Hello, B4 newbie here
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 11:09:23 AM »
thanks for the welcome guys

interfuse- i know the previous owner steve from a local forum as well as cycle forum's VA section but i didn't realize he had posted on here, i missed out on it when he sold it, but got it off the guy he sold it to shortly after when he got a older VFR

pitter- i really want to do a track day with it, found a set of close out metzler rennsports for $100 front and rear in our size... i'll have to ride sport enthuist just so i can surprise a few guys on their shiney new sport bikes

duane- i'll have to take those pictures when i get home, but steve told me they were a set of CBR clip ons, they appear to be from around the F2/F3/900rr era