Author Topic: Hello to all......  (Read 2080 times)

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
Hello to all......
« on: February 28, 2007, 12:33:30 AM »
Hey guys.

First time poster.....oh yea,some of you might hate me right now.Im the guy who swooped in and grabbed that clean,stock B4 that was on Ebay,out of New Hampshire.I figured,it had a few days to go,and the "buy it now" price was only a few hundred more than the current bid,so why risked being outdone, just to save a few bucks!?

Anyways,Ive always wanted a B4,ever since I was 15 and they first came out.The later,bigger versions just dont cut it,not the same bike at all, IMHO.

Anyways,In preperation for the arrival of my new toy,I moved the FZR1000 over to the side,sold the Virago 750 and made a spot to tinker.I expect Ill have to work on the carbs,since it has a full Yosh system,and the selling company mentioned a flat spot(the typical 4000rpm one).

What Im wondering,is that Ive heard about B4's melting down when jetted(or jetted wrong) and I understand they are very lean when stock.With the altitude being what it is here(sea level) Im likely to be lean,unless the jet kit was installed on the rich side.Is meltdown the norm for lean B4's,or is that rare/worst case scenario?I have all the tools for rejetting carbs,including a 4 circuit sync stix,but if I have to jet by "butt dyno" is there a good chance the engine will get burned?If so,I might just pony up for a local shop with a dyno and gas anylizer to do right the forst time.

Thanks for reading.......hope my 6'1" 170lb ass doesnt regret this purchase!!...heh,heh.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Hello to all......
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »
welcome and trust me i have never heard of meltdown on any b4 if it lean bump the main up and have fun riding , expect the usual carb problems when they acure and the posible electrical problem maintain it well and you 'll be please they are like anything else if let go to long small things amount to big problems maintanance is KEY!
cheers and welcome aboard
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Hello to all......
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 12:36:14 PM »
:congrats: and :welcome:

I vote for taking it to a shop with a dyno & exhaust gas analyzer and have 'em run it. Then you'd not only know where the current jetting is, you'd have a baseline to judge any future work by. Who knows what's been monkeyed with over all these years.

I haven't seen any posts here of people melting their B4's from lean jetting mistakes... most common problems here are usually related to ignition and on bikes that have sat for long, gummed up carbs.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Hello to all......
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 02:17:42 PM »
I'm far from sea level (2291ft elevation according to Google Earth), but I don't have a problem with the B4 running lean.   I'm constantly cleaning carbon off the end of the pipe, and I gag if I'm stuck riding behind her in traffic.  

I'd say wait and see what happens when you fire her up for the first time.

:congrats: on the new bike!
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
Hello to all......
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 11:16:41 PM »
Thanks,thats kinda what I figuered.
I had heard about flat out killing the thing when lean,from reading a couple online testimonies (not on this site).....it seemed kinda unlikely,but then again,those little combustion chambers can be a violent place, at 14,000rpms.

Ill see how she runs,then check the plugs for any blistering or obvious over-lean issues.Cant wait till Tuesday!
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!