Author Topic: GSX250F (ACROSS)  (Read 4040 times)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« on: September 23, 2005, 07:08:21 AM »
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you 250 fella's knows anything about the GSX250F, sold downunder as the X913 Across.  Any common problems, anything I should be looking for in particular.

I can get a '98 model for $2500, the average price is between $3500 (Trade) to $5500 (Private sale).

It's got 34,000km on it, just had the chain and sprockets and front brake pads done and has 10 months rego.

There is some obvious damage where it's fallen of the stand, purely cosmetic.  It rides well, a little under powered (I do ride a B12 so a lot of bikes feel under powered) but that's not a factor.  The bike is for my son to learn on.  He's 6'3" so it may be a bit of a sqeeze, but most learner legal road bikes will be.  

Ofcourse I'll be getting my trusty mechanic to give it the once over before I lay down my hard earned.  But any comments from you guys would be appriciated.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline MaccDaddy

• TURBO TYPER!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 11:55:59 AM »
hay mick i posted in the 400 forun about this this site is awesome for the accross. http://au.geocities.com/ozcross250/maintenance.html :beers:
1992 BANDIT 250
1972 KZ 750 (AND NO I'M NOT GOING TO FINISH                  IT ANY TIME SOON!!!!!!)

DO YOU KNOW WHERE HE IS !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 06:28:34 AM »
Thanks mate, but the deal fell through.......wasn't quick enough with the dollars.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline MaccDaddy

• TURBO TYPER!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 07:47:46 AM »
oh well you didn't want that one anyway :lol:  there is a better one out there and it's a black bandit in 250 without those annoying accross carbie problems!!!! :motorsmile:
1992 BANDIT 250
1972 KZ 750 (AND NO I'M NOT GOING TO FINISH                  IT ANY TIME SOON!!!!!!)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 07:54:02 AM »
The only issue I have with the B250 is that it was sold in great number here by Suzuki, lots of Grey imports and I'm pretty wary of them.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline MaccDaddy

• TURBO TYPER!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 08:22:11 AM »
I bought mine from a mate who had absolutly no mechanical knowledge, long story short he blew it up (dropped a valve straight through number 4 piston) I rebuilt it using parts from a grey importer in brisbane, which were very cheap supprisingly!!! and now she runs like a dream, never missing a beat and handels extreamly well.:motorsmile:  :motorsmile:

now that i have praised it the only problem i have with imported bikes is the shipping, they leave fuel in the tank which collects water and rusts the tank (which is hard to find!!)
1992 BANDIT 250

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 08:29:25 AM »
That's the thing that bothers me, parts availablity, particularly out here in the 'bush' so to speak - hell it's hard enough getting parts for the B12.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline MaccDaddy

• TURBO TYPER!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 08:40:53 AM »
Look at it like this you sound like you have a sound mechanical knowledge and your son is only going to be learning on it so in the mean time if it does break down as all "good" bikes do, you can teach your young fella some great skills that trust me he will use.  :beers:
1992 BANDIT 250

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 09:24:17 AM »
Look at it like this you sound like you have a sound mechanical knowledge and your son is only going to be learning on it so in the mean time if it does break down as all "good" bikes do, you can teach your young fella some great skills that trust me he will use.

If I gave you the impression that I have good mechanical knowledge, then I know a bridge in Sydney, shaped like a coat hanger, that I can sell you. :lol:  :lol:

Trust me my knowledge of bikes is only what I've gleaned from AMCN, Two Wheels, and web sites like these, not to mention my wife.  She was the parts/accessory manager for the local HD dealer.  I read every bike review I can, and have got a couple of Encylopedias/History books on bikes.  I know the pro's and con's of most popular bikes, but when it comes to getting out the spanners forget it.

Bike maintenance for me is the occaisonal oil change, chain adjust and lube and taking it to my mechanic every 6000km for a service..

I need a reliable bike, in good nick, that isn't going to break down every couple of hundred k's.  So that counts out most older Brit, Euro or Yank bikes.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline MaccDaddy

• TURBO TYPER!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 09:33:42 AM »
I was reading the other posts you had put in about not wanting to spend more than 3 grand on a bike for him if that is the case than i don't know if a jap bike is the way to go either as most 250's in that price range have been flogged worse than mine. but good hunting anyway. :beers:
1992 BANDIT 250

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 07:16:50 AM »
Fortunately NSW has this wonderful thing called LAM (Learner Approved Motorcyle).

Basically, what it means is that learners are now allowed

(from the RTA Site)
to ride moderately powered motorcycles with an engine capacity up to and including 660ml and which do not exceed a power to weight ratio of 150 kilowatts per tonne and are shown on this list. The following list, which will be adjusted as new models are approved by the RTA, displays details of all motorcycles that can be ridden by learner and provisional riders.

The site address is http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/motorcycleridertrainingscheme/motorcyclesnoviceriders.html

So there is a whole load of bikes that he can get, it's just a matter of finding one, or at least a 'style', the he fits on, and that the fashionable teenager would be seen on.  Basically any cruiser style bike is out, old man bikes you see.  A lot of the 250's are out simply because he won't fit on them.  The Across was one 250 that he does fit on, well sort of anyway, he's also looking at CX500's, GS450/500, ZR500, GPX/Z 500/550 and believe it or not, I don't, a GR650.  I had a GR650 for my second bike, only because it wasn't a 250 and it didn't cost me anything.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12