Author Topic: Just finished my carb swap  (Read 20714 times)

Offline camarobandito

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Just finished my carb swap
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
You are correct they wont fit, the filters are in the way. I suppose now would be a good time for a little update. I have put about 250 miles on since the swap with no problems whatsoever! I did throw on a set of accel coils and wire set (another noticeable difference in power!). I am averaging about 35mpg mostly riding in town and a few WOT runs every now and then! :yikes: I just made sure the clamps were still on tight yesterday and all is well with carbzilla! I forgot to mention in my previous posts that I am not using the vacuum for the petcock (10 years of motorcycling and that word still gives me the giggles! :rofl:) I am setting it to prime while riding. I will keep everyone posted with any developments!

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 12:47:54 PM »
You are correct they wont fit, the filters are in the way. I suppose now would be a good time for a little update. I have put about 250 miles on since the swap with no problems whatsoever! I did throw on a set of accel coils and wire set (another noticeable difference in power!). I am averaging about 35mpg mostly riding in town and a few WOT runs every now and then! :yikes:

crap... you're getting the same mileage as me with 32mm but jetted carbs...

I just made sure the clamps were still on tight yesterday and all is well with carbzilla! I forgot to mention in my previous posts that I am not using the vacuum for the petcock (10 years of motorcycling and that word still gives me the giggles! :rofl:) I am setting it to prime while riding. I will keep everyone posted with any developments!

I hope you are turning it back to "on" or "reserve" when parked... otherwise the first bit of gunk in a float valve and you'll find your whole gas tank in a puddle under the bike... and in the cylinder...

otherwise...  :congrats:

Now here's a question. What's to keep you from taking this bank of carbs and the old bank, a little parts swapping, and end up with a properly spaced set of carbs without the frankencarb mods? IOW, is it possible to take the 33mm carb bodies and the 32mm linkages and make up a new set that fits?

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 01:01:05 PM »
You'd lose the bottom end grunt you've gained from the spacers if you made them fit properly.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
Aren't those hoses getting super-cooled? Are they built to take that?

Offline camarobandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 11:19:53 AM »
Andrew-That's 90 % in-town mileage. I have had the gas tank off for some repairs and adjustments so I lost some fuel there. I will spend more time on the highway and be a little nicer to it  :grin: and maybe one of these days I will get around to balancing the carbs. Yes I am putting it back in the on position to shut it off (that doesnt make much sense) I am running 2 filters so gunk is no problem. To answer your question it is possible to change those linkages.....its also possible that when I leave today I will get raped by a gang of playboy models but its unlikely. I did try to go that route but the butterflies are attached to the linkages and those dont exactly fall out. I tried it on the old set and it was ruined in no time. The Katana carbs have a dual feed fuel inlet so you would have to get around that too. BTW whats wrong with my carbzilla look? :stickpoke:I think its cool (it does look much better in person than in the pics)

Banditmax- You are right on that one, at the very least this mod reduces alot of wear and tear on the engine. How are those new brakes working out?

Vidrazor- I dont understand what you mean by the hoses getting super-cooled could you please explain a little more?

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 11:43:18 AM »
What part # are those Accel coils?

G

Offline camarobandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 11:55:37 AM »
Accel # 140403 universal super coil kit make sure its the 3 ohm kit

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »
Thanks. And you feel this made the B4 stronger? I'm interested because if it gives me .5 more hp from stock, I'm in.  :motorsmile:

G

Offline camarobandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 12:42:58 PM »
Yes, made mine run more smoothly. I noticed a small difference in power im sure at least .5 hp probably more. I dont have access to a dyno. They are easy to install, accel guarantees the coils for life and they are cheaper than a new set of stock coils so I dont think you can go wrong.

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 01:15:47 PM »
I just fitted some new coils from a 650 bandit they helped my bike a load. And my new breaks are nice. Although i did have to buy them on overdraft.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 01:28:24 PM »
camarobandito: I was just curious about the linkages... wondering whether there was some *other* problem that might have prevented that. I like the frankencarb look too, to be honest  :thumb:

definitely would save on wear and tear on the old engine too. That's a nice bonus. It would be cool to see dyno runs comparing the before and after, but so it goes, right?

playboy models... mmmmm....

There's a bit in Monty Python's Meaning of Life where the accused gets to choose his method of dying and he elects to have a bunch of topless, red helmet wearing, women chase him off a cliff. Well, this summer, while on a fishing trip with some buddies back east, we decided to take a day to go white water rafting. The five of us, aged 38-42, ended up in a group with 45 13-14 y.o. girls in red hockey helmets.... Now, I'm not into the young girls, but the humor of the situation was almost too much to take. :rofl:

once again :congrats:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »
There's a bit in Monty Python's Meaning of Life where the accused gets to choose his method of dying and he elects to have a bunch of topless, red helmet wearing, women chase him off a cliff. Well, this summer, while on a fishing trip with some buddies back east, we decided to take a day to go white water rafting. The five of us, aged 38-42, ended up in a group with 45 13-14 y.o. girls in red hockey helmets.... Now, I'm not into the young girls, but the humor of the situation was almost too much to take.

Love that scene and hysterical story! 

So exactly WHERE were these young girls rafting????  KIDDING!  LOL!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 01:40:11 PM »
lol i met plenty of young girls rafting in the french alps.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »
Yes, made mine run more smoothly. I noticed a small difference in power im sure at least .5 hp probably more. I dont have access to a dyno. They are easy to install, accel guarantees the coils for life and they are cheaper than a new set of stock coils so I dont think you can go wrong.
Accel coils are nice but the wires are junk they crack and leak voltage due to heat cycles... I have run dyna , accel and no on to nology pro fire with the stupid high dollar grounding wires what a waste of money but sometimes you just cant tell yourself you dont need it... :banghead:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline camarobandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »
No playboy bunnies gang raped me yesterday = ( maybe today...a guy can dream cant he? I did try to change the linkage but it was next to impossible. I cracked a case on the old carbs trying to remove the linkage and butterfly. The butterfly screws wouldnt come out so I drilled them and the butterfly wouldnt come out so I had to drive that out. About 5 minutes later I got on ebay and put up the parts I didnt destroy! I suppose its possible but I couldnt find a way.

gsxr400 racer-Thanks for reminding me about those wires. I forgot I bought a set for my 79 Z28 for the 383 stroker I put in. It had a miss while accelerating I couldnt figure out, it couldnt be those wires they are brand new.......after messing with spark plugs, distributor, and just about everything else. The wire for #8 was about 100,000 ohms the rest were about 6,000. Bought the cheap parts store brand wires and been running great ever since. Although my Accel distributor is probably the best one I have ever owned so I have pretty good faith in the coils. On another note I can tell you that those pro fire wires are not necessary and a waste of $$. The best plug wire ever made is that old packard 440 wire that stuff is bullet proof. Solid copper core with no shielding. I know a place you can get a 25 ft roll for about 40 bucks with boots and wire ends. I dont know if our resistor plugs are enough to suppress the radio noise or if shielding would be required. I was going to try it sometime but if someone knows what would be required to suppress the radio noise chime in at any time.