Author Topic: Nifty little fork seal trick  (Read 3982 times)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Nifty little fork seal trick
« on: May 31, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
I just figured this out. I'm sure its fraught with peril. I'm sure many will advise you NOT do this. But, it worked for me, and maybe it will work for you.

I wanted to change my left fork seal but didn't want to completely tear down the tube lacking both the proper tools and the motivation. My solution was to use a couple coarse thread sheet rock screws (about 2" long). The trick is to get the fork seal out with out ripping the hell out of everything including yourself. I used two brand new, very sharp sheet rock screws and drove them through the top of the fork seal on opposite sides of the tube. This has to be done very carefully to ensure you go through the middle of the seal and don't drift over to one side or the other. Also be careful not to score or pit the tube. Once the screws have made a hole and start threading through, pull them back out. Take a file to them (or grinder) and dull, or even round over, the point of the screw so it won't mar the lower leg. Now carefully drive them back in through the holes you already made. Taking turns drive one side and the other a bit at a time until they nicely lift the seal right out.

Worked like a charm for me, but you are warned! You can definitely mess up your fork!

hope this helps somebody sometime.

A

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 07:17:45 PM »
I have been doing this for 25 years to get out a captured seal   LOL  works great

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »
heh. just goes to show you: nothing new under the sun. I can tell you... I've had to change fork seals maybe three times in my life and discovering this has made all the difference.

A

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:23:51 PM »
Cewl!  Thanks for sharing!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 05:08:18 AM »
and another tip for the people who are like me  :bandit:

take the seal out without breaking it (the normal way), remove the spring from inside the seal, twist the spring anti-clockwise at the right position to make it straight instead of a circle.
cut the spring shorter (about 3-4 should do the trick very well), make it a circle again by inserting 1 end in the other and rotating clockwise, insert in the seal, put the seal (and fork) back together.
now you saved yourself about 6 bucks on a new seal :wink:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 01:16:59 PM »
A seal does not work because of the spring :stickpoke: Pressure builds up behind the seal and because of that the seal is pushed inwards to the tube... to seal it. The spring just holds it in place. I'm surprised that it even works the way you do it.

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 01:49:30 PM »
when it leaks there is less pressure build up then normal so it will leak more. the spring will help the process and stop the seal from leaking.

btw. not all seals work with pressure to make them work  :stickpoke:
1991 US Bandit 400