Author Topic: New 400 project  (Read 7908 times)

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: New 400 project
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 09:33:08 PM »
Wish I knew more about electrics! You have a "How to..." on youtube?
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 09:43:52 PM »
All I know is when you see that black smoke escaping, it's broken.

Offline PUGLIA

• Board Regular!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 11:16:50 PM »
All I did was follow the instructions from DIY CDI repair in the 250/400 FAQ section of this forum. Here:

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=431.0

It was pretty easy to do. But I will go into a little better detail after I test it and see if it worked, lol! I would hate to give messed up advice. I haven't soldered since I was a kid and it was pretty easy.

Offline wario

• Board Regular!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »
All I did was follow the instructions from DIY CDI repair in the 250/400 FAQ section of this forum. Here:

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=431.0

It was pretty easy to do. But I will go into a little better detail after I test it and see if it worked, lol! I would hate to give messed up advice. I haven't soldered since I was a kid and it was pretty easy.

I did mine twice. The first time with Radio Shack crap caps- then, I ordered some commercial caps on line that had a much higher temp rating. They worked great. Both sets lit off on the first push of the button... but, the RS caps died within a week.

Offline PUGLIA

• Board Regular!
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »
Thanks for the info. I got mine at radio shack. So where did u go online to get the caps?

Offline wario

• Board Regular!
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »
Thanks for the info. I got mine at radio shack. So where did u go online to get the caps?

I'll check for my receipt - basically, they're sound amplifier grade and able to withstand high temps...

Offline PUGLIA

• Board Regular!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 05:37:04 AM »
Ok well I'm a little dissappointed. I tried the CDI and I still have no spark. I didn't have a lot of time to work on it but I hooked it up and still got nada. Sooo I guess I'm going to have to go back and test to see where the problem is. I don't know for sure what the ohm readings should have been. Probably should have asked before I broke into the CDI and ran my test the first time. Does anyone have a breakdown of what readings I need and where? For instance
Coils-plug wires- pick up coil- ect. So that I can try and hunt down the problem. I'm not the best at reading wiring diagrams and the copy I have I can't really make out the numbers on it anyways. Any help would be appreciated.

And Wario if you could get that web site I would appreciate it.

Offline bdouvill

• Everybody
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »
Hi Puglia,

Saw the pictures oh handlebars and levers. I got the same, both from Ebay directly from China (see here: http://img98.xooimage.com/views/0/0/e/photo0266-3e669c4.jpg/).

I'd just want to warn you about the clutch lever. Mine completely ruined my clutch cable in less than 1000 km (like 600 miles). Problem comes from the location where the cylindrical head of the cable is inserted in the lever: there's a sharp edge at the junction with the cable. It is not really in contact with the cable when the lever is not pulled, but anytime you pull it, the cable will touch this edge and get damaged.

The standard lever is not machined the same way, the part where the cable goes into the lever is machined deeper, so it does not come in contact with the lever when you pull it.

I hope this can help anyone getting is clutch cable ruined. I did not solve this problem yet, just replaced the lever with the old one (not really good-looking, this is why I bought the nice one) when I had to buy a new cable. Anyone here that experienced the same problem?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:50:09 AM by bdouvill »
Benoit.
Bandit 400 1992, 1st bike.

Offline PUGLIA

• Board Regular!
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 02:38:43 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll make sure I keep that in mind. Problem is I gotta get it running before I can even use the clutch.

Your bike looks good. I like it

Offline wario

• Board Regular!
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »

I'll check for my receipt - basically, they're sound amplifier grade and able to withstand high temps...

I found the site - its http://www.parts-express.com

Good folks, fast shipping, great parts.
 :thumb:

Offline PUGLIA

• Board Regular!
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 02:52:27 PM »
Hey wario where are you from?  Thanks for the site I will check it out.

Offline wario

• Board Regular!
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »
Hey wario where are you from?  Thanks for the site I will check it out.

Grand Rapids Michigan.

Offline Mechannibalism

• Board Regular!
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »
Where do I start :~)  Get yourself a good digital voltmeter and a small 12 volt test lamp (I use a 1156 auto bulb) .  Unplug the Ignitor and test the all the wiring at the plug, Use the bulb for checking power  because the bike sat for so long  and the switches and connectors can be grungie and even though they check fine with a meter they can't pass enough current to work properly.  I have learned this from working on boats around salt water.   The check list: kill switch, Ignition Sw. ,Negative side of the circuit, fuses("ignition/fan") pickup coil. I'm not sure if your bike has a side stand kill Sw.

Offline Mechannibalism

• Board Regular!
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »
 And check that there is power to the coils ,each coil has a common 12v+(orange?) from the Ing.Sw. and seperate wires to the Ignitor

Offline PUGLIA

• Board Regular!
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 01:44:51 AM »
That's a great idea about the light bulb. I will check it out  :thumb: I got a hit on another 400 and its a complete bike I can get for 100 bucks. I should have plenty of parts and can pick the best of both bikes. I think Im going to get mine running and break down the other bike. That way i can cut and make all the mods to the frame and powder coat the frame of the parts bike wheels and swing arm while im riding mine. Also if I want to try a fork swap or swing arm swap I can fit it all on the second frame and ride until im ready to put it all together.