Author Topic: The joys of E10 gas...  (Read 3262 times)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
The joys of E10 gas...
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:29:02 PM »
Last week we got out first heat wave here in PA: 90+degree temps with equal humidity. I now have no desire to ever live in a jungle or the tropics.

I did find out though that in the short 6 days that the Bandit sat, the gas gelled up in the pilots and the bike wouldn't idle for a damn. I know that heat is an issue for fuel in the SW and places where it's hot but this was a bit ridiculous! I'm sure the ethanol wicked all the moisture from the air as well and reeked some havok, I only had about 3/4 of a tank on board.

I've got a tankful of 89 and seafoam in it now running it through so hopefully it'll get cleaned out before I go through and tear down the carbs.

Offline 97af

• Board Homesteader!
Re: The joys of E10 gas...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:31:18 PM »
Its not the gas....Its the crap that has accumulated in the needle jet passage way. Pull the needle jets out of there and make sure the sediment isnt beeing sucked into the pilots....

A good tool lets you forget about the dent it put in your wallet everytime.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:04:17 PM »
I've had the carbs out of the bike four and five times prior to the layup dialing in the main, the bowls were clean, no sediment. If there was a trace of anything, I cleaned it up before I reassembled.

I know it was gelling up because after even just 1/4 of a tank of seafoam it was already starting to get better. The carbs will be broken down completely and cleaned for the winter though (sooner if need be, but I'm tired of taking them apart).

Offline 97af

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 11:57:41 PM »
I've had the carbs out of the bike four and five times prior to the layup dialing in the main, the bowls were clean, no sediment. If there was a trace of anything, I cleaned it up before I reassembled.

The bowls on my bike were also spotless. The pilot circuit isnt being supplied directly with fuel from the bowls.Its being supplied first through the main jet then sucked through the the needle jet circuit then to the pilots. The area that the needle jet is pressed into is the problem. My #1 and # 2 needle jets were so nasty that I couldnt believe it ran as good as it did.My bike would run good for 30-40 miles right after I de-clogged the pilots only to have the rough running re-appear. It ran flawlessly after taking care of all the sediment in there.

A good tool lets you forget about the dent it put in your wallet everytime.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 05:27:33 PM »
Just got back from a little putt on the bike and all is well again.

The Seafoam sat for the better part of the week in the carbs and after a short ride, the idle is back to a nice and steady 1600 rpms. I had to dial it back from where I set it higher with the idle screw when this whole debacle started.

I had run into this issue last year as my bike had sat for a bit before I used it on the track and it wouldn't idle worth a damn. It was also hotter than hell in the days leading up to the track day. I broke the carbs totally down that time and found that the gas had gelled in the pilots as well as around the emulsion tube. I had heard of this happening in the span of an afternoon in places like AZ and NM but never expected it to happen in SE PA.

I had heard that a Seafoam soak could possibly do the work for me so I thought what the hell, in worst case, I'd have to break them down anyway so I gave it a shot.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 05:55:14 PM »
Hi T-GTi,
Is the 89 a reference to the octane rating of USA fuel?

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 09:32:39 PM »
It is midgrade here in the states.

I forget how the ron/mon works as the last time I was in Europe I literally just bought diesel but it breaks down to 87, 89 (literally half and half blended at the pump) and 93.

The new laws in America are forcing the use of 10% ethanol which kills mileage/performance as well as some equipment. How I miss the days of straight gas.

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »
How much Seafoam do you put in?  I'm having similar issues with one of my cars.  Seafoam or Heet may be the answer.

Thanks for the tip.
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:59:01 PM »
Instructions are on the can but IIRC it's an ounce to a gallon (16oz container).

If it's bad you can run a higher concentration but it will run "off" till you burn through it.

Do not use Heet. It is alcohol based and will only make the problem worse.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 01:29:23 PM »
I always thought 10% ethanol gas or any ethanol gas was like alcohol and removed the oils that where supposed to lube the valve stems, dried up the seals as well as the orings in the carbs/ rubber bits? Does it promote condensation build up in the tank?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol