Author Topic: No plugs over pilot jet ?  (Read 4087 times)

Offline digitaldan

• TURBO TYPER!
No plugs over pilot jet ?
« on: August 20, 2008, 06:20:45 PM »
Hi guys, in my infinite search of getting my B4 to run correctly I stripped the carbs once again and after reading older posts realised by bike's carbs has no plugs covering the pilot jets ? It's a Japanese model Bandit but I did notice openings down in the emulsion tube and carb that I think should feed the pilot jets. So could the lack of sealing plugs cause my rich running ? Oh yeah after putting the carbs back together I now have a flatspot at 4000 rpm  :duh: I don't think a bike has ever been made with such finicky carbs !
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:23:28 PM by Red01 »

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Re: No plugs over pilot jet ?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 12:53:09 AM »
I would say yes, put those plugs in. And a flat spot at 4000 is pretty common, I guess.

Offline Tainted-Meat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:22:17 AM »
same here, i have the 97 model Variable Valve 400 and when i opened the carbs, no plugs . .

seems to be running fine
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Offline digitaldan

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »
I see must be a 2nd gen thing. Do you have the 4000 rpm flatspot ? Any problems running rich ?

Offline Tainted-Meat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »
seems to have run rich before i replaced O-rings, since then i have not really had the chance to get them synced

it is second gen VV
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Offline Tainted-Meat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 04:47:18 PM »
i had the 5000 flat spot before i stripped carbs but there's been discussion about getting rid of that using a performance petcock

Offline digitaldan

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 06:05:32 PM »
Replaced all the o-rings, float needle and set float height. The bike runs much better and the flatspot is gone. It seems these models definetly does not have the plugs for the pilot jets as there is no hole inside the pilot jet passage. Anyhow there is still some carbon in the pipe so it's still a little rich but not too bad.

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »
First gen bandits need the plugs can't speak for the second gen bikes, If the plug is missing fuel will short curcuit the main jet and the bike will run rich. The flat spot at 4000 is very very common the needle just needs to go up.

Offline daveberry

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:03:52 PM »
please can someone tell me what these plugs are as my bike has just had the complete float assemblys changed and now has a bad flat spot at 4000 rpm whitch it did not have before.  they where changed as the carbs kept over filling and leaking any help much appreciated.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 05:35:27 PM »
Hi Dave,
On the B4 when you take the float assembly out there is a small black rubber bung that fits into the carb body, it is held in by the float cage and so can be lost when removing the float cage.B4's are well known for a flat spot at low rpm, but it can be made much worse if any of the orings within the carb are not 100% !!!

Offline daveberry

• New user!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 07:40:20 PM »
thanks chris for that i now know what your talking about it,s not to much of a problem i just chuck it down a gear an let it have it.  not to worried about it as i have another bandit in bits in me shed thank a lot anyway.