Author Topic: over flowing water bottle  (Read 3281 times)

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
over flowing water bottle
« on: February 10, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »
I want to run this by some of you. I'''m hoping this will solve my water over flowing problem.
 on the cap you have 2 ports. one has a hose that goes all the way to the bottom and the other is just a hole at the top of the cap.  I had the incoming hose going to the port with the hole at the top and the over flow hose going to the bottom of the bottle. I think I have it connected backwards. Is that wrong or right.
I think it should be radiator to port with hose going to the bottom of the overflow bottle and the overflow hose should be connected to the cap with the hole at the top.
albert

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Re: over flowing water bottle
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:10:27 PM »
When the coolant warms up it's volume increases and the system will flow some coolant to the bottle. When it cools down it creates a negative pressure and sucks the coolant back from the bottle. So the hose from the thermostat is connected to the port with the tube attached and the overflow hose is connected to the port without the tube. You can find this in the parts fiche too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 06:11:59 PM by Herr Tod »

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Hey guys!  You know what you are talking about, but if you don't mind, I'd like to learn a little.  What the heck is a "water bottle" (in this context)?  I guess it's some sort of reservoir, but since I have an air/oil cooled Bandit, and since my understanding is that coolant in a car is stored in the "RAD-ee-aye-tor" (as we say down south) I am lost.

Bottle?  Cap?  What gives?

I thank you for your cooperation in advance.  (Wow,  I really hate that idiot phrase!)
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:35:23 PM »
Its the coolant reservoir, on a water cooled bike.

BTW, on water cooled car engines they also have coolant reservoirs.  The coolant just passes through the radiator to cool down, it isnt stored there as such.
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 07:36:26 PM »
yes I believe that is what I was thinking..... For me, what was happening was the negative pressure was pushing the coolant out onto the street instead of back in ter radiator.
It exactly like a car. it's a over flow bottle / resevoir.

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 07:44:21 PM »
Its the coolant reservoir, on a water cooled bike.

BTW, on water cooled car engines they also have coolant reservoirs.  The coolant just passes through the radiator to cool down, it isnt stored there as such.

Huh.  I thought the bulk of the fluid was in the radiator.  Thanks.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline mwheat308

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »
The bulk of the coolant is in the radiator and engine, so you were correct. the coolant heats up and expands. The water bottle or reservoir collects this instead of dumping it onto the street like the cars in the old days.
Gun CONTROL is hitting the target the FIRST time!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:25:14 AM »
I want to run this by some of you. I'''m hoping this will solve my water over flowing problem.
 on the cap you have 2 ports. one has a hose that goes all the way to the bottom and the other is just a hole at the top of the cap.  I had the incoming hose going to the port with the hole at the top and the over flow hose going to the bottom of the bottle. I think I have it connected backwards. Is that wrong or right.
I think it should be radiator to port with hose going to the bottom of the overflow bottle and the overflow hose should be connected to the cap with the hole at the top.
albert

LOL now dont i feel like a idiot, all this time i just assumed i ad it hooked up right something as simple as a water bottle come on. Man if you cant learn something from this site go site on the couch and eat spuds. :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 05:26:15 PM »
I posted mainly for me but thought about you(gsxr 400) because you are the only other person crazy enough to try the scrad set up

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »
yeah if i ever get it done its been one thing after the other :boohoo:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 11:03:29 AM »
The bulk of the coolant is in the radiator and engine, so you were correct. the coolant heats up and expands. The water bottle or reservoir collects this instead of dumping it onto the street like the cars in the old days.

Actually, your right the most of it would sit in the radiator/engine cos its bigger than the bottle :duh:  Although i dont think you can really say the coolant is "stored" anywhere in particular, it just sort of stops where it is when you turn the engine off.

Anyway i was mainly just pointing out that cars do have coolant reservoirs!   :bigok:
If you cant join them, beat them...