Author Topic: Progressive spring benefits?  (Read 5645 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Progressive spring benefits?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 02:04:47 AM »
>>do your self  a favor an get straight wound for your weight and racetech or whatever valve kit you can and be even more amazed at how something that is set up for you really feels<<

I wouldn't argue that a custom setup will yield better results, but it's a no-brainer to throw progressives in a fork and instantly improve a bike's handling. I wouldn't know what the springs and valve setup you mentioned would cost, but the progressive set me back $70, which I thought was a decent price for a significant improvement.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 10:56:18 AM »
$90 for straight wound with weight of your choice... 100-130 lbs. about .75-.80 140-180 lbs about .80-.90, 190+ .90-1.0 springs dont hold me to this but it will get you in the right direction. I run .85's traxxion dynamics springs and valving in my weapon.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »
with staright wound you have consistant feedback well worth the $20 bones more. :beers: :motorsmile:
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 11:25:59 AM »
the valving is a extra added bonus latter down the road for like $110 i think...

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 03:20:03 AM »
You know, I'll keep the concept in mind, but I'm looking down the road at maybe an SV650, and it would probably be better to invest in that bike's front (and rear) end and leave the B4 as is. I can live with the B4 with the progressives.

While I really don't know a lot about rigging up a bike, I'm beginning to realize that my riding skills can use a more responsive machine. I need to get some track time in as well, I've considered tripping down to Road Atlanta and taking the Swantz course.

On the street, however, I'd like to have something that will be a bit more responsive yet still be good for distance. I think a well set up '650 will do that for me at this time.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »
The SV has the same crap-tacular front end as the B4, right down to the brake mounts on the forks (albiet with one extra). The rear shock is also in the same league and if you spend any time in their forums as well, you'll see that it's another weak point.

You should make sure to budget for suspension accordingly if going down that road. I know Traxxion Dynamics has a drop-in kit with premodified rods for the emulators for the SV and guys commonly adapt Kawi and GSXR rear shocks.

If anything, the B4 and SV are country cousins suspension-wise. Performance-wise, I'd ask Eric since he's been to the track with both and he can give you a bit more insight. I just wished that the little bike had the same aftermarket that the SV does.