Author Topic: Im so close to getting it to run!!!!!  (Read 4043 times)

Offline glweek

• Board Regular!
Im so close to getting it to run!!!!!
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:56:08 PM »
ok, so when i got the bike i didn't start since then all ive really done was take apart the carbs and cleaned them, new battery, new sparks, and it still ddin't run but it would now start ever now and then for only a few seconds and would backfire non stop so i drained the old gass and got some new gas and it has slowly started to get better and better and after letting it sit for three days i just went to start it and not only did it start but it actually idled but died within like six seconds.  It didn't backfire it didn't fluctuate with rpms, just pured like a kitten.  but when i tried to start it again it wouldn't turn over, just run the starter and backfire like crazy.  so i let it sit for an hour and tried it again, and it started again but died imediately, tried again an hour later and it started so i kept reving it and it would run as long as i kept the rpm's up but was backfireing ALOT and as soon as i got off the gas it died again.  when it backfires it doesn't really smell like gass and there is a black cloud that comes out the pipe. 

So...what do you think is going on?  it will start when i leave it over night but when it dies i can't start it again untill i let it sit for an hour or two and then it will run again but die unless i give it gas.  do you think its not getting enough gas?  if that is the case why would it backfire?  im so excited now because it actually idled im so close!!!!!!!!

Offline glweek

• Board Regular!
Re: Im so close to getting it to run!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:35:24 PM »
well since nobody has responded to this i have done some more work and read a link about the petcock releasing gas into the suction valve and the gas eventually make its way into the oil tank.  so, i looked at the min/max of the oil and saw nothing but black so i took the filler cap off and the oil REEKED of gas.  so does this mean its the petcock and i need to replace it or could this be something else?  i still have the problem of the bike not starting untill i let it sit for a while before trying again.  i checked the carbs and found that when i put the top cap back on i didn't seat the spring in the #2 carb correctly so now the backfires are gone for the most part.  once the bike is running i can keep it running fine no backfires no nothing untill it drops below 2k rpm when it starts popping and backfiring and dies.  whats everyone running on their idle screws btw?  how many turns? and how do you measure a turn?  from totally left (being the start) turning to the right or vise versa?

So im making a list of things to order what should i add to the list to get the petcock working?  i didn't see just a seal kit for it so does that mean i have to buy a whole bloody new one?  are there better options out there then oem?  anybody just sell the internals to it so i don't have to spend the $80 or whatever dollars it is?

Offline 97af

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:13:40 AM »
Mine ran a little better than yours but still not spot on perfect. I was having a problem with my pilots getting plugged shortly after reassembly after cleaning.The culprit ended up being the sediment that had formed in the needle jets which after a few miles started to end up into the pilot section. Pull the carbs completely back apart and do those needle and pilot jets again. I'm betting you will be happy with the results. Fine tunning comes after they are clean. 

A good tool lets you forget about the dent it put in your wallet everytime.

Offline glweek

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 03:00:09 AM »
awesome, ill deff give that a try.  BUT, the whole strong gas smell when i unscrew the oil plug, and when i set the petcock on prime im also getting gas coming out of the vacume line, of the valve, so....can i just get a new seal or something or do i need to order a whole new fuel cock and if so should i go oem or is there something else out there?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 01:00:16 PM »
Hi,
Sorry for no reply. The tap is one peice and you have to buy the hole thing. It sounds like the tap is leaking fuel down the vacume pipe and into the cylinder that way. It will wash the oil from the cylinder and if you run the engine you may seize that cylinder.

Offline glweek

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »
is there another way the gas could be entering the oil tank?  do my symptoms sound like the petcock?

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 04:46:07 PM »
It definitely sounds like the petcock.  When you pull the tank, does it leak gas even when not turned to prime?  I don't know that I've heard of fuel running down the vacuum line - usually it's through the gas feed line (you have them on the right ports on the petcock, right????), into the carbs, past the floats and into the cylinders.  Your oil is shot.  You can hydrolock the motor.  You can also pull the tank and plugs, take it OUTSIDE and crank the starter and get a nice gasoline fountain if you want.   :duh:

Replacing the petcock with OEM or aftermarket (Pingle) are your only options. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline glweek

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 05:31:12 PM »
lol ya everything is hooked up correctly, i just placed an order which i included a fuel cock to so, we will see what happens :thanks:

I still have two questions, and maybe this one will answer both.  on the bottom of the tank, there are two extra bungs, what do they go to?   the reason i ask is because im still trying to figure out where a few loose hoses goes. which i made a thread about already that nobody has gotten to since my last post.  if you have any imput in that one as well that would be awesome!

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »
lol ya everything is hooked up correctly, i just placed an order which i included a fuel cock to so, we will see what happens :thanks:

I still have two questions, and maybe this one will answer both.  on the bottom of the tank, there are two extra bungs, what do they go to?   the reason i ask is because im still trying to figure out where a few loose hoses goes. which i made a thread about already that nobody has gotten to since my last post.  if you have any imput in that one as well that would be awesome!

Look in the service manual.  There's a section on hose routing.  It should help you out immensely.  If you don't have a service manual, you can download it from our downloads section.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works