Author Topic: regulator/rectifier  (Read 13243 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 11:33:51 AM »
Jomed - that dude in your avatar looks FAST!!!!!!!!!!   :wink:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline jomed

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.clubbandit-philippines.tk
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 11:52:54 AM »
Quote from: "Farre"
this is good, yes. As long as it doesn't go OVER 14V or under 12V it's good to go IMHO. Mine's currently always over 14  :sad:  still waiting for the damn thing to arrive in the mail...

sir farre,
thanks for the reply, now i have a piece of mind that it works well.

i read the sukbog manual that the normal operating voltage of rectifier (with head light on at 5,000 rpm) is in between 13.5v to 15.5v???

which is which???

ride safely!
Suzuki banditV 400cc

Club Bandit Philippines
Motorcycle Philippines Federation
Bandit Alley member #1334

http://banditalley.com
http://clubbandit.proboards45.com
www.motorcyclephilippines.com

Offline jomed

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 11:57:06 AM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"

sir pitterB4,
thanks, this is just an avatar which i got somewher in this site. anyway, i rode a yellow banditv 4 and i/we practice track atleast once a month.

nice meeting you here sir pitterB4

Ride Safely! :motorsmile:
Suzuki banditV 400cc

Club Bandit Philippines

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 01:53:19 AM »
Quote from: "jomed"

sir pitterB4,
thanks, this is just an avatar which i got somewher in this site. anyway, i rode a yellow banditv 4 and i/we practice track atleast once a month.

nice meeting you here sir pitterB4

Ride Safely! :motorsmile:

That is so cool ROB a groupie, cheers Meant no offense there new guy! cheers
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 08:55:15 AM »
Oh damn, Jay that was too funny.  

Jomed - that's me in the avatar.  I was just teasing.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline jomed

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 10:34:09 AM »
Oh damn, Jay that was too funny.  

Jomed - that's me in the avatar.  I was just teasing.

HAHAHA!  :grin:  is it really you? sorry for using your own stuff here... anyway, will change my avatar as soon as i learn how to upload my own picture/avatar here.

can i use it just for a month?  :motorsmile:  kidding!

Ride Safely
Suzuki banditV 400cc

Club Bandit Philippines

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 05:16:24 AM »
Quote from: "Herr Tod"
I'm not sure where I've read this... but it should help.

Suzuki Part - $295,.. in Vancouver, so likely a week to get it.
BMV F650 RR - $209 Calgary, likely a couple of days to get,
Honda CB400 RR - $160 in stock at the dealer.

I know,.. wtf right?

Based on a little research, we should be able to use any 5 wire RR as long as it will fit, or you are willing to possibly have to re-locate it. If you're stuck on the Suzuki replacement:
LT250, RGV250,DRZ400,GS400E, GSxR400 (including the import version),LT400, Rf400,GS500E,GSF250,DR250,DR350,DR650, and DR800 all use the same RR. Possibly the LS 650 Savage as well. ( since it's listed as the same part # by SX electronics as the bandit 400, along with the BMW F650 )

LOL! That was my post.  I'm glad to see that the info is being put to good use.  I've been running the CB400 RR since I made that post,.. and it's doing just fine.

The entire thread is here if you want to get the background:

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=2305
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 12:08:35 PM »
bad news, kinda.
I installed the r/r from a CM400, with the six connections as expected. I hooked up the black one with a 12V connection ( the brown wire from the rear light, is the same as the license plate trick), i left the red and green unconnected so i could check how much volts i got while running..
Well, i was in for a nasty surprise! It gave  101Volts!!! Measured on DC Volts.
I'm going to check on gsresources again why the hell this could be. If i start the bike without this one connected i get 0Volts, once i touch the brown one, it jumps back up to 101-103 Volts  :crybaby:  Why can't this shit work right from the first time!?
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 02:12:37 PM »
bad news, kinda.
I installed the r/r from a CM400, with the six connections as expected. I hooked up the black one with a 12V connection ( the brown wire from the rear light, is the same as the license plate trick), i left the red and green unconnected so i could check how much volts i got while running

I'm not sure what this license plate trick is,.. but why would your RR have 6 wires?  Mine has 5, and I have a 91 as well.   Did your original RR have 6 wires?

3 yellow, that go to the stator, one green ( used to be black?) and one red.  This should be all you need.

Honda uses different colors for their hot and ground colors!  Be sure that you're connecting the right ones!  Honda uses green for the negative wire, and red for positive.   What the heck is the brown for?

I can go take a pic if needed.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 02:24:28 PM »
no no, the Suz R/r has 5 wires yes, the Honda R/r i have has 6, and yes green is the negative i know. The extra lead is a sense wire, it should be connected to a 'live' circuit, circuit after the key switch and already with +-12V on it. The license plate trick is just the "sensor" wire connected to the license plate number circuit cause it already has power.
ON top of that, i also have an R/r from a Honda CBR600 from 1989 with 7 wires, 2 green and 2 red (simply + and -) and when this one is connected i get ONLY 0.85Volts!!!

This is ridiculous! i bought two R/r's off of ebay and both seems to be useless scraps of metal! I tested them all for continuity and the yellow wires don't seems to be in the 20 Ohm range, more like 20 MEGAOHM  :crybaby:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 02:34:36 PM »
no no, the Suz R/r has 5 wires yes, the Honda R/r i have has 6, and yes green is the negative i know. The extra lead is a sense wire, it should be connected to a 'live' circuit, circuit after the key switch and already with +-12V on it. The license plate trick is just the "sensor" wire connected to the license plate number circuit cause it already has power.
ON top of that, i also have an R/r from a Honda CBR600 from 1989 with 7 wires, 2 green and 2 red (simply + and -) and when this one is connected i get ONLY 0.85Volts!!!

This is ridiculous! i bought two R/r's off of ebay and both seems to be useless scraps of metal! I tested them all for continuity and the yellow wires don't seems to be in the 20 Ohm range, more like 20 MEGAOHM  :crybaby:

Are you sure it's in the MegaOhm range? (Not doubting you, just checking) My multimeter reads funny, and it turns out that it reads in megaOHMS, not in OHms,... ( truly made me crazy for a bit there)

So,.. at the stage that you're at,.. the stock one would cost you less than this.  :sad:    Ok,.. do you have an option of getting a 5 wire RR?  Then you're not needing to futz with things more than necessary.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 02:39:54 PM »
yeah i'm sure it's Mohm.. i set the range from down  going up till i got a reading,.. atthe 200K range still showing 1.*** and finally getting a reading in the 20Mohm, wasn't a happy feeling.
I am convinced that the R/r's should work, if they weren't faulty from the start, seems i have incredibly bad luck this moment. Anywho, i sent an email to the guy from the CBR600, maybe they're willing to show some goodwill, who knows.

Other than that... i don't know what i'm going to do, my brand new battery is empty of juice, and the rest is eager to go  :sad:

Maybe i should just buy one at Electrex.. i hate to think inside the box  :wink:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 02:53:04 PM »
lol! yeah,.. that inside the box thing sucks.  

Seriously, an RR from a CB400 will do the trick, any chance of swapping for one of those, or finding one that's on ebay?  The really important part here is to find a 5 wire RR with approx. the same output.  (Or at least not off a significantly smaller bike)

A trickle charger is a beautiful thing in these cases...
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 03:06:51 PM »
well yes! to summarize, i bought 2 r/r's, one off a Honda CM400 and the other from the CBR600. i did some research on the gsresources forum and the CM400 has a popular r/r, the Shindengen SH232, the extra lead thingie is only a detail. If it worked correctly i'd be riding right now..
Now, i could get another r/r from the guy i got this from, but he's a nice guy and last time we had such a problem with shipping, i don't want to give him all this mess again (and subsequently waiting ANOTHER 2 months!).
I'm not happy at all in going back on ebay and trying to grab another one that can be potentially broken, my bubble has just burst.., gimme time to blow a new one up willya? :wink:

yeah, a trickle charger.. so many expenses, so little income..
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2006, 03:39:56 PM »
well yes! to summarize, i bought 2 r/r's, one off a Honda CM400 and the other from the CBR600. i did some research on the gsresources forum and the CM400 has a popular r/r, the Shindengen SH232, the extra lead thingie is only a detail. If it worked correctly i'd be riding right now..
Now, i could get another r/r from the guy i got this from, but he's a nice guy and last time we had such a problem with shipping, i don't want to give him all this mess again (and subsequently waiting ANOTHER 2 months!).
I'm not happy at all in going back on ebay and trying to grab another one that can be potentially broken, my bubble has just burst.., gimme time to blow a new one up willya? :wink:

yeah, a trickle charger.. so many expenses, so little income..

oK,.. both of the RRs test in the 20MOHM range?  What are the odds?

The CM400 one, did you test it before you put it on the bike?  Wow,... 2 months.  That's a hell of a long time to wait.  

What About a wrecker in your neck of the woods?  You know what you're looking for now.

I don't like ebay as a rule.  My one and only experience was less than awesome.  Nothing like "winning" a bid on a windscreen, and having it arrive with so many stress cracks that you're afraid to put it on, for fear it's going to hit you at speed.   I prefer to inspect what I buy before I buy.

True, a trickle charger is an expense, but it may save your battery, if this process takes much longer.  There are a few brands out there that I can get from my -dealer- for about $45cdn,... perhaps you can find anohter source for better?  what's a battery worth?
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390