Author Topic: regulator/rectifier  (Read 13244 times)

Offline crusher

• New user!
regulator/rectifier
« on: October 12, 2005, 11:21:06 AM »
hi,

looking for a rectifier/regulator for a 400 bandit. if anyone has one for sale would be great

thanks

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 11:40:48 AM »
I'm not sure where I've read this... but it should help.

Suzuki Part - $295,.. in Vancouver, so likely a week to get it.
BMV F650 RR - $209 Calgary, likely a couple of days to get,
Honda CB400 RR - $160 in stock at the dealer.

I know,.. wtf right?

Based on a little research, we should be able to use any 5 wire RR as long as it will fit, or you are willing to possibly have to re-locate it.

Re: Electrex
"The man who answered the phone ... ANY regulator rectifier that has three yellow wires, one positive and one ground would work just fine, like for any Kawasaki or GS (assume he means Su..zuki) or really anything, as long as it isn't like a hundred cc's which in that case it wouldn't handle the power."
And further down the same page:
"FYI: We confirmed we can use a regulator from a Honda CB400 -- it is exactly the same shape, with mounting holes in exactly the same places, and 6 wires. Price for BMW part here is probably around $125, the Honda part is US$55. The only diff is the color of wiring - 4 wires are the same: 3 yellow, 1 red-white; for use on BMW, need to swap positions of the brown (earth) and green wires - Honda uses green for earth."

I saw the Honda one today, it's got 5 wires, 3 yellow, one red and one green. It's dimensions are slighly bigger than the OEM, but I'm not adverse to re-locating it for a savings of $135 and the ability to ride on Monday instead of waiting. I might take her in there on the back of the truck on Monday and test fit it right there just to make sure. (There is a possibility that it will fit in place.

If you're stuck on the Suzuki replacement:
LT250, RGV250,DRZ400,GS400E, GSxR400 (including the import version),LT400, Rf400,GS500E,GSF250,DR250,DR350,DR650, and DR800 all use the same RR. Possibly the LS 650 Savage as well. ( since it's listed as the same part # by SX electronics as the bandit 400, along with the BMW F650 )

Offline ranakin400

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 01:50:59 PM »
I have one.  and most of the bike.

email to   designrr@hotmail.com

Offline Spacey86

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 10:32:36 AM »
hi there, if you are going to get a new rectiflyer, for a ya bandit.listen to this. You may be lucky, it may not have fryed stuff, when mine went it killed the battery, the alternator died aswell. So may i recoment that you get a Honda Super four Regulkator rectufier put on it is bullet proof, just about every body i know with a suzuki has done this, it jusy makes the system more reliable thats all.
If at first it don't fit .......... Smack it with a hammer(might be the reason my B4 is nackered)

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 05:54:44 AM »
ntv650 too? found one on ebay cheap and need it ASAP
it looks the same in shape and such...
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/HONDA-NTV650-REVERE-RECTIFIER-REGULATOR-UNIT-1993_W0QQitemZ8044915086QQcategoryZ10460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 10:45:01 AM »
Alex,
I have a reg/rect from a honda CBR954 in my bike. I have been running it about a year, no problems at all. It has an extra sense lead, so you need to run this to a source of 12V that turns off with the key. (for example the license plate light).  I also had to fab a new mounting bracket, but it works far better than the stock unit.
I followed the advice quoted earlier from Herr Tod and just looked for a unit from a late model large displacement bike that was a reasonable price.
Steve
1991 B4

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 03:14:06 PM »
interesting! at first i didn't know what to do with that info, but now i feel confident i can make something out of it,...now only to find a suitable one and fast...
Thanks guys!!
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 05:12:17 AM »
okay, i got a CM400 R/R for a nice price,shipping today or tomorrow. i saw on gsresources that the Shindengen sh232-12 is a very good piece of sh..ehh "quality", they use it on their 1100's so shouldn't be any problem for my mere 400.
Connection doesn't seem difficult. I'll just wire the sense wire to the ignition button, i'm not sure the license plate light is on all the time.. oh well if it doesn't work, i can always try that as well.
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 12:27:25 PM »
Quote from: "Farre"
i'm not sure the license plate light is on all the time

Maybe it is just a North American thing for it to be on all the time.

Quote from: "Farre"
I'll just wire the sense wire to the ignition button

By ignition button, do you mean the starter button? If so, I don't think that will work. You need 12V that is on whenever the bike is running, but off when the bike is not running. The reg/rect will draw current through the sense lead whenever there is power to it, and will drain your battery if there is 12V there when the bike is off.
Steve
1991 B4

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 05:03:20 PM »
no with ignition button i meant ignition switch (Run/Off), sorry. That way the regulator will only work when it's in Run position. Maybe an added security? Or more economic on the juice? Who cares! But i think it should work.
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 05:04:58 PM »
just checked by the way, the license plate light is off... maybe broken? Not important  :lol:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline jomed

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.clubbandit-philippines.tk
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 11:57:50 PM »
imn regards to our rectifier, how many amperes suitable for our bandit400?

tia

Ride Safely!
Suzuki banditV 400cc

Club Bandit Philippines
Motorcycle Philippines Federation
Bandit Alley member #1334

http://banditalley.com
http://clubbandit.proboards45.com
www.motorcyclephilippines.com

Offline jomed

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.clubbandit-philippines.tk
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 02:16:41 AM »
i bought a cheaper rectifier yesterday here in the philippines. actually it is an 2nd hand surplus but it still working.

it has a markings 535-12  8.5 amperes, but when we install the recti the maximum output is just 13.48volts. is it normal?
Suzuki banditV 400cc

Club Bandit Philippines
Motorcycle Philippines Federation
Bandit Alley member #1334

http://banditalley.com
http://clubbandit.proboards45.com
www.motorcyclephilippines.com

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
regulator/rectifier
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 11:20:18 AM »
this is good, yes. As long as it doesn't go OVER 14V or under 12V it's good to go IMHO. Mine's currently always over 14  :sad:  still waiting for the damn thing to arrive in the mail...
Alex
B6 Rear Shock