Author Topic: i need help!  (Read 4718 times)

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
i need help!
« on: August 01, 2008, 05:35:24 PM »
i cracked the beige emulsion tube holder. the one that slides into the carb body and holds the emulsion tube. anyone have one laying around? thanks

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Re: i need help!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:48:46 PM »
I've got some, in dubious condition. At some point I went through the eight that I have looking for the best-fitting combo of slides and slide carriers. That means the ones left over were the most worn. You're welcome to one or more for the cost of shipping. pm me and we can work it out.

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 02:12:02 AM »
what would cause my idle to race to 10k rpms when i start and stay there. this is after a carb rebuild. it doesnt respond to idle adjustment. i checked my idle mixture screw on the bottom of each carb and they were out a little bit. so i re adjusted to 2 1/2 turns out from bottom. now it barely idles. 4-500 rpms. any ideas would help. im going to take the carb apart again when i get a chance. checking everything.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:41:04 PM »
The throttle cable is very sensitive to proper routing. It's really easy to have it routed incorrectly and consequently pull the throttle open. Make sure that when you work the throttle, that the mechanism returns to its base position. Visually confirm this at the carb end. Mine makes a definite click when I release the throttle telling me that the spring is returning to fully closed.

I suppose it's possible, too, that the carb synch is so far out that one or more of the throttle butterflies are open enough to cause it to rev, but you'd have to be pretty far out.

heading to the PO today, btw...

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
So, it went from racing to too low just by messing with the a/f screws?  And this was after trying to get it down by using the idle screw?  I think you just need the right combination of a/f screws and the idle screw.  Depending on your set up and your actual bike, 2.5 turns might be too little. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »
I don't think 2.5 turns would cause the idle to dip so much. I suspect his throttle cable returned to fully closed while he was adjusting the a/f screws resulting in the throttle sitting on the newly f'ed with idle adjustment...

IOW, go back over all the linkage and make sure it's working properly, then see if it responds to the idle adjust while it running in that low idle state.

.02 and not arguing with PitterB4....

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »
thanks for all the advices. i checked the throttle cable but it doesnt look like its binding. but is the throttle plate suppose to be cracked open a little when closed?

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 04:43:51 PM »
only the tiniest little bit. What should definitely happen is the linkage attached to the throttle cable should return all the way to its stop which is also the end of the idle adjust.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 04:50:33 PM »
I don't think 2.5 turns would cause the idle to dip so much. I suspect his throttle cable returned to fully closed while he was adjusting the a/f screws resulting in the throttle sitting on the newly f'ed with idle adjustment...

IOW, go back over all the linkage and make sure it's working properly, then see if it responds to the idle adjust while it running in that low idle state.

.02 and not arguing with PitterB4....

You can disagree with me... I'm no expert wrench.  I was just thinking the combination of the idle screw and the a/f screws being out of whack could cause an idle that was way low like that.  I think we're on the same page.  The a/f screws at 2.5 wouldn't do it alone.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 06:55:52 PM »
well, it looks like the cable was binding a bit and i broke a air mixture screw. damn needle broke and welding into the orifice....more money needs to be spent on this bike....so much fun.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 07:29:24 PM »
just remember to take it slow and carefully. When you've got carb problems, one step at a time is important. sucks about the a/f screw. :banghead:

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 10:05:23 PM »
anyone happen to have any extra carburetor body laying around or a complete set? let me know. ill buy it off you

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 10:12:15 AM »
Which carb is it?

I might have an extra useable one from the set that came from my new-to-me motor last year. Mind you, it looked like the things lived in a SWAMP and #4iirc had a potatoe-chipped butterfly but the bodies are intact.

PM me or LMK.

-Randy

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 01:37:30 PM »
I have a pretty busted up set with 2 or 3 good bodies and various other parts... of course, it's now short one slide carrier :grin:

I'm perfectly willing to break the bank of them apart because at least one body is broken. If you still need it, I'll go through them and see what I've got.