Author Topic: ARGH! Smoke coming from the CDI!  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
ARGH! Smoke coming from the CDI!
« on: April 10, 2006, 10:26:08 AM »
Title is explaining nearly everything...
I wanted to start my bike with the start, didn't do a thing. The fuse was blown. So i replace it . I can turn over the crank, but it doesn't want to start.. Then suddenly i smell something 'chemical' and i see smoke coming from under the back seat!
And the fuse blew again..
I'm thinking this might be because of my r/r, it's overcharging and i'm impatiently waiting for the Honda one i've won on ebay... But now this has happened.
i checked the threads in the FAQ.
now i'm wondering if this is applicable in my case? i need to replace the capacitors and transistors? God i hope it isn't the IC itself... that bugger doesn't seem to look standard :sad:

Any idea's or remarks?

In case repairing is useless, i've checked on internet and i see 3 places where i can get a CDI from:
-Electrex (UK)
-Carmo (NL)
-Ebay (USA) Note: written he's only doing USA, i've sent him an email if he's adamant about it.

Maybe a long shot if someone here has a CDI on stock and wants to sell. I think i saw 10D00 on mine..

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 10:38:57 AM »
Carmo repairs them, too...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 10:54:06 AM »
yeah, you're right but i think the prices are quite high. Of course, i will not know how they will react if they see that i've opened it by myself first.
That's why i'd like to know what everybody thinks of it. I have no idea. And i don't know where the smell came from, i mean, which part could it be?

a cap doesn't smell like like that, that i know from experience. The smoke seemed to originate closely to the left connector. Maybe a shortcircuit in the connector area itself?
It could be the insulation smoldering because the heat was closeby.. would seem to be logic with the connector area.
If i look on the pic provided in the FAQ area, i would guess the transistor has shorted.http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11010/normal_CDI%20001.jpg
the chemical smell could also be the heat-transferring adhesive on the transistor to the heatsink.

So much "if's"
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 11:07:49 AM »
Ehh, small correction,
 I didn't realise the pic was actually the CDI upside-down. Difference in connections showed this. The smoke came from the smallest of the 2 connectors. So on the pic it could very well be the cap's and resistors...
 I'm getting excited! Maybe i can fix it?!
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 12:26:46 PM »
i couldn't wait anymore and with my brother's Dremel and help we opened it up...

It's the Voltage dependant resistor, the black discy thing on this pic (lower left) http://www.imagevenue.com/loc254/th_e44_PICT0039.JPG, Written "V1" on the board.
Really too bad there is not a bigger pic of it, because it's burnt to a crisp , i don't know what type it is  :crybaby:

If anybody knows what is written on that black thing or what i should get, please please tell me!

[update] I have phoned to Carmo to ask if they're willing to help me identify the part. Well, they were not. :annoy: The guy insisted that i wouldn't be able to repair it and that they would.  
...So now i've sent an email to Electrex  :monkeymoon:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline GK75A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 02:46:01 PM »
just tested my ignitor on a local dealers jap import. mines uk spec 10D00, other bike was 10D10 so i didnt hold out much hope. shocked wasnt the word when it sparked and ran.dont know if you will have any more luck locating a box when theres a choice of 2

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 02:39:24 AM »
little update: so far not really anything has come up from the emails i've sent. Prolly a bit early to expect already an answer from 'anyone'.
But just to have my bases covered i'm bidding on the Argentinan CDI on Ebay too, thank God the guy wants to ship to Europe!
Alex
B6 Rear Shock