Author Topic: problem with stock exhaust installation  (Read 2595 times)

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
problem with stock exhaust installation
« on: July 20, 2006, 12:52:29 AM »
So... I have Vance and Hines headers and a slip-on. I decided to get a stock exhaust and I finally had time to throw it on. I noticed the bolts for the V&H headers were longer than the ones needed for the stock exhaust... so after a trip to the hardware store I got the right length bolts. I put the stock exhaust on and hand tightened the bolts (fairly tight) with an allen wrench ( I don't have an attachment for my torque wrench). I start my bike up and it fires up right away. I hear this seeping/sucking sound coming from one or all of the header pipes and then comes the black smoke. I couldn't really identify where it was coming from which was weird. It just seemed to appear about a couple of inches away from the bike near the left header where it goes into the cylinder. So I have a few questions:
1) I didn't really see any exhaust gaskets in the cylinder ports after I removed the V&H exhaust headers. I thought this was weird. It may have been that the gaskets were so old and gunked up I couldn't even see them and they blended into the background. I did poke around with a screw driver at what I thought were gaskets and they were a little soft (i.e. left a small indentation). Are the gaskets obvious when you see them? Or are they covered with black soot?

2) How often does one need to replace exhaust gaskets? Perhaps I should have taken a picture to show everyone. I probably will tommorow when I have time. I wasn't thinking b/c it was 100+ degrees today in CA and I was sweating like crazy while working in the garage.

3)So after I started the bike up with the stock exhaust it ran for a little but I kept stopping it b/c I was freaked out by the smoke. Eventually I started the bike up again trying to identify it's location. Then the bike kind of sputtered and died on it's own. I could start it up with the choke, but didn't want to force it in case something bad happened. I'm just going to throw on the V&H headers again. Could it be that I overtightened the mounting bolts for the headers?

Any help would be great!
Thank you....
:D

Offline flint666

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 04:18:12 AM »
Go and get some new gaskets for the headers
the soft squdgie things that you can feel are the old ones scrape them out and fit new

only other thing you need to really check is that the exhaust is sitting square in the ports and is not on an angle

Andy

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:42:16 PM »
Yeah I figured that was what it was. It actually may explain why the aftermarket exhaust jetting is off and no matter what I do it seems to be still off. I will try new exhaust gaskets!
 :thanks:

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Re: problem with stock exhaust installation
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 01:20:37 PM »
I couldn't really identify where it was coming from which was weird.

One way to pin point the leak is to use a lighter, (I've used one of the long ones good for lighting barbcues)  Hold the flame up around the headers and take note if the flame is blown around.
I did poke around with a screw driver at what I thought were gaskets

Hardware stores commonly sell dentist-like tools for picking.  These really help.
Are the gaskets obvious when you see them? Or are they covered with black soot?

Covered with soot, not obvious.
2) How often does one need to replace exhaust gaskets?

I can at least speak for Kawasaki; they say everytime you take the darn header off.  I never do this though.  When I switch to a new header then I install a new set, with the idea this header might seat differently than the last.
Could it be that I overtightened the mounting bolts for the headers?

Hmmm, not likely, but these bolts dont need to be torqued down too hard.  Is it the same exhaust can?  That would have a larger effect.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 08:11:36 PM »
Drin,

Glad to hear you got the exhaust OK.

-Randy

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 03:57:15 AM »
Hey Duane!
     Thank you for your insight. That is really helpful. Especially for the tools and the gasket changing. Super great information!

Hey Randy!
     That was my bad. For some reason I thought I sent you an email telling you I received it. I got it right on schedule per what the fedex tracking info said. Thank you again!
Drin