Author Topic: springs vs USD forks  (Read 6028 times)

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« on: June 13, 2005, 11:01:18 PM »
Is the b4 too light and underpowered to bother with inverted forks?

If you think yes go inverted: what front end with inverted forks would be easiest to use?

If you think standard is fine: on the rebuild are new seals hard to come by and are there better springs available?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 11:16:26 PM »
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 11:17:48 PM »
Check out the stickied thread in the FAQ.  

Seals are not hard to find.  I think (someone will give me a virtual slap if I'm wrong) but the B4 probalbly uses the same seals as other Zook 41mm forks such as the B6 and the SV650.

Springs?  Jay can probably tell you which Race Techs to get (or maybe search this forum for "Race Tech", not sure).  Or (now that he's a member here...) Chris, what kind of springs are in mine?  I can never remember.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 11:18:21 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Click here and read this thread on fork swaps.

Dagnabit!  Beaten again!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 11:42:08 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
Dagnabit!  Beaten again!

Rob><Paul  :monkeymoon:  :boohoo:
 :grin:  :stickpoke:  :grin:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 11:50:49 PM »
i did find the suspension threads:
"You can use 1990-1995 GSXR750 front ends on ANY Bandit (250-1200)"

its just I was hoping for more input from those who have done front end upgrades on the b4.  If you did the springs would you have prefered the USD forks, or are you happy with the performance of the springs so far.  Most of the posts seem to like the progressive springs on the RSU forks for all the different sized bandits.  If you went with USD forks do you feel its overkill or are you just so happy with the look and feel of the bike that it was worth the extra effort.  

I'm under the impression that even if i add better cams or even the 400V engine I'll never have enough power in the frame of the b4 to need more than upgraded springs inside the stock forks.

from the gallery thread I see
PitterB4 = progressive springs
killerB = race tech

looks like retailers only have progressive springs currently
Click here

(edited by Pitter to get rid of the SUPER-long url)

Offline cdyer77

• Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 09:29:29 AM »

Springs?  Jay can probably tell you which Race Techs to get (or maybe search this forum for "Race Tech", not sure).  Or (now that he's a member here...) Chris, what kind of springs are in mine?  I can never remember.

Rob has progressive springs on his. I think I'm just going to drop in the racetech springs I have into my new project. Since its strictly a trackbike I dont want the progressive springs but rather the straight rate on the race techs.
1990 Bandit 400 - Now Parting Out - What do you need???
1999 Honda VTR 1000 - SOLD
2001 GSXR 600 - Track Bike
Reduc #177
Team Pro Motion #177

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 09:36:55 AM »
I have progressive (small "p") springs rather than Progressive (cap "P") ones - meaning that they have a progressive coil to them but they're not made by the company Progressive Suspension.  Like I said above, I can't remember the make of them.  Race-Tech's web site lists info for the B4 right here.

As for upgrading the stock tubes or going with USD or other "better" forks...  I don't have any direct experience with anything other than my stock tubes and upgraded springs.  It feels good (especially now that I have upgraded the rear, too) and handles great.  The biggest advantage I can see to going with forks off of another bike is getting dual discs up front which you can obviously do if you go with the trick USD forks or conventional ones.  I keep hoping my friend with an SV track-bike gets some GSXR USD forks so that I can buy his stock/Race-Tech setup.  That would get me a very decent f/e and dual discs.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 09:52:12 AM »
buy the race tech springs and the emulators you will be pleased. if your building a show bike or a serious race bike then go with the front end swap , or if you can get a front end for un godly cheap. :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 10:53:45 AM »
I've heard those RaceTech emulators are really nice also, and a set of weigh-match springs would go well with them.  
Has anyone used the RaceTech valve emulators and Progressive spring combo?
I just got a Fox shock to check out, and have stok forks, might have to go with the RaceTech mods on the front myself.
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 11:45:06 AM »
The biggest advantage I can see to going with forks off of another bike is getting dual discs up front which you can obviously do if you go with the trick USD forks or conventional ones.  I keep hoping my friend with an SV track-bike gets some GSXR USD forks so that I can buy his stock/Race-Tech setup.  That would get me a very decent f/e and dual discs.

How did they do dual discs on the original japanese bandit 400?  Is it a completely different F/E? It looks like the same forks just chrome or black or brown.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/Bandit-series/GSF400-Bandit.shtml

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 12:25:34 PM »
Quote from: "b4cruz"
The biggest advantage I can see to going with forks off of another bike is getting dual discs up front which you can obviously do if you go with the trick USD forks or conventional ones.  I keep hoping my friend with an SV track-bike gets some GSXR USD forks so that I can buy his stock/Race-Tech setup.  That would get me a very decent f/e and dual discs.

How did they do dual forks on the japanese bandit 400?  Is it a completely different F/E? It looks like the same forks just chrome or black or brown.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/Bandit-series/GSF400-Bandit.shtml

Well, the left fork lower would have to have the boss to hang the caliper and the wheel would have to be tapped for the disc.  Other than that, I think they're the same.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline cdyer77

• Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 12:40:21 PM »
If everything goes as planned (thats a big if) then I'd swap out the stock front for a SV front just for the dual discs. Re-use my race tech springa and use the set of gold valves I have sitting in my garage.

Proabaly wont be until next season for all that to happen. First I have to pick up the bike and figure out what I need just to get it running.

But thats the plan. Anybody ever try to swap out the SV swingarm in order to use some bigger rear tires?
1990 Bandit 400 - Now Parting Out - What do you need???
1999 Honda VTR 1000 - SOLD
2001 GSXR 600 - Track Bike
Reduc #177
Team Pro Motion #177

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 01:10:53 PM »
the race tech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators ($160) are pricey.
I think if I want to go this route I'd better get the Progressive springs ($70) to save a bit of money (race tech springs $110).  

If I get used USD forks at the most I'd just have to replace the seals and then make sure it fits on the bike correctly.  After seeing the price of the emulators maybe USD forks aren't so bad.  I guess I'll keep shopping and hope I find a cheap reliable F/E at a low price locally before I commit to emulators and springs.  

My stock front end leaks oil just a tiny bit, but it doesn't stick and it isn't bent.  I think I hold out a little bit longer.

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
springs vs USD forks
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 01:23:48 PM »
Well, the left fork lower would have to have the boss to hang the caliper and the wheel would have to be tapped for the disc.  Other than that, I think they're the same.

Could get a left fork, caliper, disk from the GS500E (same brakes right, jsut other side), then you'd have to get a wheel to mount the 2-sided disks on.  Probably be easier to get a Katana front or GSXR front though.
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80