Author Topic: Factory pro carb kit with individual filters?  (Read 2647 times)

Offline ltan667

• Board Regular!
Factory pro carb kit with individual filters?
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:34:29 PM »
Hey guys I've been thinking of doing some mods and found the Factory Pro Config-30 kit but read that it needed individual filters. So I went to my local bike mechanic and he suggests to NOT get the kit and individual filters due to carbs not acting well, and the fact it would very hard to tune. So I went to another mechanic down the road and he told me the exact same thing and that the carbs need vacuum to run correctly and by removing the airbox, it takes it away?

Anyways I was just seeing if anyone else had better luck or had actually installed the kit and what your experiences was.

Regards, Leon.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Factory pro carb kit with individual filters?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:45:07 AM »
Hey Leon.  There are/have been folks here running individual filters.  Use the search thingy above and search this forum for the word "pods."  There are quite a few posts.  IMO, I would trust the guys at Factory Pro over just about any local mech.  In fact, email FP and ask them.  The guy that usually answers (Marc, I think) is a wealth of knowledge.  Good luck.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline crashoverrideplik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:45:18 PM »
I love my 400. It's the coolest little bike I have but your mechanic is right, pods suck on a street bike. I run them on my GSXR1100 because I have flatslide carbs and a bunch of mods (big-bore, pipe, cams, etc). They tend to take the mid-range completely out of a street bike and in the case of the B400 that would make the powerband very narrow (all top-end (even more than the way it is stock)). If your bike has very little in the way of engine mods this would not be a good up grade IMO. I just did a jet kit, end can, K&N, snorkel removal on my street 400 and it really put a smile on my face.

Offline Ken Hill

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 12:19:33 PM »
You can run individual pods no problem, my 400 has had them on it for 15 yrs. The carbs don't get any vaccuum from the airbox, if someone's telling you that I wouldn't let them work on my bike. Set up properly they'll work fine, makes a big difference in power, the stock airbox is very restrictive. I've got Uni filters on it, can't get any K & N's to fit, the bore centers of the carbs are too narrow.

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
    • Wudy.co.uk Freelance Web Development
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 12:26:14 PM »
The carbs don't get any vaccuum from the airbox, if someone's telling you that I wouldn't let them work on my bike.

That's what I thought. But I've also just thought that the carb's don't need to get a vacuum from anywhere anyway? It's the carbs that's making the vacuum?

I think individual filters are very cool, anyone got any pics of them on the B4?
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC