Author Topic: stock clip ons  (Read 4280 times)

Offline workinonit

• Board Regular!
stock clip ons
« on: April 21, 2008, 10:19:05 PM »
i just bought a stock set of clip ons for my b4 that currently has the regular bars, with a different top yoke that wont work with the clip ons, can i just grind down and drill holes for my new stock clip ons, any feedback would be greatly appriciated

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Re: stock clip ons
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:17:03 AM »
Yeah grind it but it won't look pretty. a milling machine afterwards to flat it then a polisher and it'll be ok.

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:10:55 AM »
A few things to consider before you take the irreversible step of removing the risers:
-are you using the euro/japanese stock clipons that mount above the top triple, and if so, have you already raised the fork tubes to check the handling?
-have you checked under the top triple where you will be drilling into to see if you will have room for a nut underneath, or if you will be drilling into a reinforcing web or anything?
-are you sure you never want to go back to bars? I would make a little plate to mount on the riser, and put a Yosh temp gauge or clock or GPS or something on it. It'll look fine and you can always go back to bars later if you don't like the clipons.
Steve
1991 B4

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:32:16 AM »
You also have to ge longer forks as well as the tubes help hold the clipons. If you move the regular tubes up that high to work the bike will handle like crap.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »
put them under the top yoke
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:54:14 PM »
Jay Jay Jay you can't, the fork tube only locates the clip on you still have to bolt it to the top of the triple clamp to hold it in place. Thats why I went with a whole new front end on mine was cheaper in the long run

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 02:35:06 PM »
so your saying it does not pinch on the tube like normal ones well if not why would you not just get some after market clipons that do pinch the tube and then mount them under the clamp?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 02:39:35 PM »
You could and im looking for a set of them on the cheap cause the gsxr forks i fitted where a fair bit shorter too.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 09:51:20 PM »
Yeah - I had Woodcraft clipons under the upper triple.  Worked great.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »
I was just looking at workinonit's headlight post and it reminded me of this one...  To use the aftermarket clipons below the triple, you need a different headlight bracket.  I had one from Holeshot... worked great.  However, you do need to relocate the front signals when you do that.  I had mine, Monster-style, mounted on the radiator with two simple pieces of aluminum bar.  Looked great!  Of course, if you drop the bike on its side.... there's a chance that the signal will puncture your radiator...  please don't ask how I know that!   :duh:

Here's a pic (I THINK I have the clipons on it here although it might be the Suburban Machinery bars but you can see the headlight mentioned in the other post, the headlight bracket and the signal location):

Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 03:27:53 PM »
My sold 400 has vortex clips mounted under the triples, couldn't reuse the stock headlight without modifications if at all, I mounted an Acerbis Cycleops light instead.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 04:52:02 PM »
My sold 400 has vortex clips mounted under the triples, couldn't reuse the stock headlight without modifications if at all, I mounted an Acerbis Cycleops light instead.

With the Holeshot h/l bracket, you CAN use the stock headlight.  I had mine like that for a long time.  I only had those headlights for a few months before selling...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7