Author Topic: Stupid crappy f***ing float valves!!  (Read 7642 times)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Stupid crappy f***ing float valves!!
« on: June 14, 2007, 08:04:52 PM »
Argh!!!

So I pulled the tank et al and did the valves the other day. The tank was pretty close to empty and of course got sloshed around a bunch. So the next day... won't run for crap. Had to keep it practically wide open and the revs up HIGH :bomb:  to get it home. Everyone's lookin' at me funny   :shrug:

So I figure I got some stuff in the float valves (you know the story). I pull the bowls (while on the bike) and find so much crap in there that three of the four are actually STUCK from the chunks down in them.

Anyway, cut to the next day after fixing it all up and putting in an inline filter and its *STILL* running like crap. I thought I had flushed the lines, but obviously not well enough. I find yet ANOTHER stuck valve  :roll:

argh. on top of all that, I think I've dumped a bunch of gas into my oil as a result.  :sad:

Yee haw.

A

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 08:17:03 PM »
Three words...

LINE YOUR TANK

:stickpoke:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 09:31:58 PM »
yeah... this winter I think.

actually, this tank was holding up really well until just this last winter. oh well.

A
 :duh:

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 06:32:08 AM »
And watch out i put in an inline filter the other day and it sucked wouldnt flow enough petrol for the carbs.

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 06:51:33 AM »
:stickpoke: get a bigger inline filter

running without one gives these troubles. a good inline filter at a car-store doesnt cost more then 2 euro and saves you from these carb hickups.

i even have an fuel inline filter on my home-pc to filter the water going through the watercooling  :bigok:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 08:19:30 AM »
May as well line my tank really saves the effort of running a restrictive inline filter.

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:24:24 AM »
what exactly do you mean with line the tank? do you mean fix the inside of the tank so theres no rust and other stuff or do you mean that you put a filter in the tank? or something else?

with both things I would still advise to also run an inline filter. they are not all restrictive you know  :wink:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 09:27:22 AM »
i mean put a coating of fibreglass like stuff on the inside of my tank so its completely clean. Cause at the end of the day the tap has a filter on it too unless your using prime.

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 11:54:38 AM »
having a good tank and a good tap with filter doesnt mean theres no need for an inline filter  :stickpoke:

a €2 non-restrictive inline filter is one of the best investments you can make for the B4  :taz:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 03:57:41 PM »
I find it hard to believe that a B4 could suck enough gas to overload an inline filter made for a car. But... my saga continues.

I've cleaned up my carbs, readjusted the floats (they got majorly tweaked in this whole thing), resynched the carbs, and installed this rather large inline filter.

It seems pretty nice -- its a universal deal with a cleanable filter element and a glass tube body so you can visually check it. It comes with three different sized nipples to attach the fuel line to. The thing is pretty big, I can't imagine that it won't flow enough fuel...

But I'm still getting some intermittent problems with it stumbling and miss firing. It seems to hit in the mids (right around 7000 rpm) but is very intermittent. I'm wondering if its the fuel filter restricting the fuel flow. But then it has no trouble on the mains up above about 8,000 or so where its really pulling fuel. And I ran it on the highway at a good steady wide open for a while with no problems. I did clean the air filter... maybe I need to tweak the needles. More trouble shooting. ugh.

A

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »
Nah that sounds like its not the fuel filter my inline one stopped the bike from revving at all.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 07:30:41 PM »
I've also got some tinkering to do...  Aren't carbs fun? I can't wait to buy a bike with FI.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 07:42:13 PM »
Banditmax: yeah. I agree. I think there is still *MORE* crap in the line to be flushed out. That and my choke cable appears to be routed incorrectly resulting in some annoying issues there. ON top of it all, I think I'm still running a little lean on the needles.

Interfuse: that's half the fun, though if I could get to the carbs better without lifting hte tank, life would be good.... maybeits time to chuck the airbox for access sake ;)

A

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 09:55:04 PM »
have you checked that your coil + and _ are tight or that the tab to the kick stand switch is not bent and fully pushing the switch in these two thing will make you insane looking for problems.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 10:14:56 PM »
Quote from: "andrewsw"
still *MORE* crap in the line to be flushed out.

Just what line are you talking about?  The hose that goes from the petcock to the carb bodies?  Doubtful there's anything large enough to pass through the petcock filters and still be stuck in the hose.  

I cant believe after all these posts no one yet has mentioned clogged jets.  If a lot of particles have passed into the carbs it would be the first thing I'd head for.  Espically the idle jets.  If and when you do get there, pass a piece of wire through them, don't just blow air through them.  Good luck.